Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Camelbak - Yes!

Damn that's funny.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I've been riding with a Camelback for 4-5 years now. I really believe in staying hydrated on a ride to keep me alert. Plus, I have to stop every 2-3 for a pee break. Those regular stops helped me ride from NY to Daytona in 21 hours. Could I have gone longer between breaks- sure but why would you want to?

Bonus- if you fill it with ice water before you head out, the condensation cools off your back all afternoon long.

+1

learned about using one from the iron butt web site. Makes a HUGE difference on long distance rides.

As an aside, when you are done sucking in your drink, just blow the fluid back into the bladder will keep it from getting hot in the hose. Ok, it's your own backwash...

Quote Originally Posted by rvb1019 View Post
    I've been riding with a Camelback for 4-5 years now. I really believe in staying hydrated on a ride to keep me alert. Plus, I have to stop every 2-3 for a pee break. Those regular stops helped me ride from NY to Daytona in 21 hours. Could I have gone longer between breaks- sure but why would you want to?

Bonus- if you fill it with ice water before you head out, the condensation cools off your back all afternoon long.
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Blue Sky Canadian

Medical Solution?

One of our riding buddies claims that the medical establishment uses an external catheter on occaision, which she keeps threatening me with if I don't stop more often whilst leading the group. I have yet to take her up on that offer. Make sure the hose drains on the opposite side of the exhaust system.

Damn that's funny.
    Yeah, but it's the real deal. If you consider the alternatives that our combat pilots have 1) holding it for 10+ hours (urinary infection invitation), 2) wearing a diaper, or 3) not wearing anything and sitting in your own waste for 10+ hours.

But 2 Large? Certainly does makes it much more attractive to just pull over and look for a bush (hard to do at 35,000 ft....)
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Oh yeah, I see it's real, and real expensive. I'm thinking of siliconing a condom onto a quarter inch vinyl hose.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

I use my Camelbak everyday on long trips. There's nothing like a sip of ice cold water when riding hours in heat.

One one advantage of the Camelbak brand is the large diameter cap which allows it to be filled from an ice dispenser. I fill it in the morning with ice cubes and top off with water. It easily stays ice cold for over 5 hours.

I wear mine over my jacket and the bit tube is an easy reach laying on my chest. You can move the bite tube under the the chin guard to your mouth and drink while both hands are on the bars. Simply pull the tube out to remove.

After the last sip, blow the remaining water in the tube back in the the Camelbak otherwise your next sip will be warm from the water left in the tube.

Each night empty the bag and place the yellow spacer inside to keep the bag open to allow it to completely dry each night. The spacer comes with a hanger to hang it up while drying. Don't store with the bladder closed for long periods.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Stadium Pal

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Oh yeah, I see it's real, and real expensive. I'm thinking of siliconing a condom onto a quarter inch vinyl hose.
    Stadium Pal is $29.95. David Sedaris' take on it is quite amusing.
    Justin in Somerville, MA

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Here's the only problem. You now have to pee a lot! Someone invent a bike urination system, please.
    You must be drinking a lot more than I am. I can still ride a tank or two of gas without stopping to pee.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I think I'd just as soon pull over....

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    You must be drinking a lot more than I am. I can still ride a tank or two of gas without stopping to pee.
    I could squeeze out a tank, depending on speed, cause that's about 250 miles. But a tank OR TWO! Man, you have some party bladder if you can go two tanks! And if you stop for gas, you'd skip the pee stop and go another tank?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I could squeeze out a tank, depending on speed, cause that's about 250 miles. But a tank OR TWO! Man, you have some party bladder if you can go two tanks! And if you stop for gas, you'd skip the pee stop and go another tank?
    My range is also around 250 miles; more if I behave myself. To say it another way. I can go about 8 hours without stopping to pee.

The flip side is I'm up once an hour all night. Sucks to get old.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I like wearing my 70oz Camelback on my back for the cooling effect, even through my mesh jacket. Pack it full of ice, fill in the little spaces with water. I can get up to 7-8 hours of the cold stuff on even the hottest of days.
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2004 R1150RS, forming a search committee to add another.

Thumbs up

When using a Camelback in hot weather you can avoid warm fluid by blowing back thru the bite valve when you are thru drinking. I fill my reservoir with ice and then add as much water as I can. A cold drink in high heat and humidity can be priceless.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Camelbak, YES!

HydraPack -- NO! Mine leaked like a sieve -- that cheesy slide-on plastic assembly cannot compare to the big screw-on plastic lid of the Camelbak, which is absolutely watertight.

Those of us who ride in the SW desert know about the importance of frequent infusion of liquids, and - you probably CANNOT stay properly hydrated by just drinking when you stop for gas or peeing. In fact, you need to be peeing several times on a warm day ride, or you aren't getting enough liquid. To continue the urine theme, it should be light in color, as DARK urine means you are dehydrated.

BTY, the FIRST thing to "go" when dehydration hits is your "higher mental capacity" (don't laugh, we all have it). This would be yer judgment parts, as in: Is that lever on the right the brake????

Regards,

Walking Eagle
    Last edited by Walking Eagle; 06-02-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Typos