Thread: I want a new helmet face shield!!!

Hybrid View

dramer

I want a new helmet face shield!!!

I have a new full face helmet with a clear shield. I don't like it because of the sun on my face. I'm considering a new shield in silver mirror, gold or blue reflective. Any advise? I am a passenger.

How about a smoke colored shield?

As the person often talking to someone wearing a reflective shield, I can tell you it's a little annoying, particularly when sunny.

I use a dark smoke on my Arai in lieu of sunglasses but then I bring the clear shield with me in case I need to ride in the dark or darkish.
    Sharon - WI Club, #GSGiants2014
    1999 R1100R
    1973 R60/5
    2014 - sold the sidecars and my super short GS! Bought a F650GS Twin

You might want to try a pin lock face shield if it fits your helmet - it let's you add a smoke shield or yellow for hazy days... Without taking off the clear one... Easier than carrying the full shield. I wish they made it for my new helmet....sigh!
    Sarah B
    Milwaukee,WI
    '09 R1200GS 'Starbuck' my big silver baby
    '13 K1600GTL Graphite Grey... yet unnamed!

maybe it's time for a new helmet. Several manufacturers now make ones with internal visors that are dark.. all of Schuberth's models have this feature, I think.. Scorpion's EXO-1000 does also (the helmet i have).
    Tom - MOA #156706, Hayward, CA
    2006 BMW R1200GS Adventure, aka "Gretel"
    1983 Honda V65 Magna - SOLD
    http://www.flyv65.com

Quote Originally Posted by wisernest View Post
    I use a dark smoke on my Arai in lieu of sunglasses but then I bring the clear shield with me in case I need to ride in the dark or darkish.
    You are brave. Those Arai side cover plates scare me because they are so easily broken, and parts for Arai helmets are harder to find on the road than the Lost Dutchman mine.

I finally have my Arai Profile helmet back together after finding a good parts supplier online. On a road trip last summer I had to ship my Arai helmet home and switch to an HJC helmet. And that was at a dealer that handled Arai helmets.

I think I have the Arai figured out now, as far as using the release levers, I have a supply of replacement cover plates, and I have put the faceshield back in correctly, but I definitely shy away from changing out a faceshield on the road.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

For as long as I've been riding I've added painter's tape to the top of my face shields. Easy, cheap and effective. Seen here on Annie's helmet.

Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

+1 on the painters tape.
    Mack McDonald
    Garland, Tx.
    04 1150 GSA

I bought one of those window-cling tinted sun shades from the baby section at the store a few years ago. I cut a strip out of it that fits along the top (inside) of my clear shield. Works like a pair of shades without having to swap out my glasses. I think that I've seen a "pre-cut" product marketed too in case your not the DIY type.