Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helmets, fog and cash

Talking Fog Tech, Pinlock

I am currently doing some testing for the Fog Tech wipes. I took the Pinlock out of my X-11 helmet, that works fairly well. The Fog Tech wipes does work on the visor and the sunglasses, but not the prescription lenses. I was informed that that was due to a coating on the prescription lenses. It depends a lot the conditions that you ride in, how often you reapply treatment.... I have noticed that the pinlock really only last about a year, before you need to replace the shield and the pinlock (due to scratches and the pinlock no longer being firm). I have one more week of testing with the Fog Tech wipes, it seems to be the most cost efficient way to go....
    Keep the rubber side down!!
    1986 R 80 RS
    1992 R 100 R
    BMW MOA Life member; Ironbutt Member; Airhead Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaasu View Post
    I have a Scorpion EXO700 (my 3rd) and their shields do not fog.
    I have a Scorpion EXO900 and their sheilds fog up just like everyone elses...
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Bob T
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerkuh View Post
    I am currently doing some testing for the Fog Tech wipes. I took the Pinlock out of my X-11 helmet, that works fairly well. The Fog Tech wipes does work on the visor and the sunglasses, but not the prescription lenses. I was informed that that was due to a coating on the prescription lenses. It depends a lot the conditions that you ride in, how often you reapply treatment.... I have noticed that the pinlock really only last about a year, before you need to replace the shield and the pinlock (due to scratches and the pinlock no longer being firm). I have one more week of testing with the Fog Tech wipes, it seems to be the most cost efficient way to go....

Good to know, thanks. Fog Tech worked the one time I tried it on my prescription glasses...but I need to give it a few more tries...

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Fog Tech worked the one time I tried it on my prescription glasses...but I need to give it a few more tries...
    I've been using it on my glasses for six or seven years. It isn't perfect, but I can't see without it. The small bottle was about $15 when I bought it, five or six years ago. It's almost gone now and a new bottle is ready to go.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

My Scorpion EXO-700 does a better job of remaining fog-free than any helmet I have ever owned. That said, the tinted Scorpion visor I got doesn't have whatever coating they put on the inside of the stock shield and it fogs up like crazy.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerkuh View Post
    Sign me up for a test too! I have a Shuberth and it fogs. I have tried the diving lens stuff but it doesn't last long. My pullout visor feature helps when the temp is right. What works best for me is my silk balaclava pulled over my mouth=I also have worn my bike helmet on a snowmobile with the same thing to good effect. Good for helmethead too.

Greetings
    Even if the face did not fog. how can I stop my eyeglasses from fogging? And the fog coats both sides of the lens.
    This is mine biggest problem in the rain.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Fayette

Rain and Fog

New to this forum, so please indulge me as I try to get the correct question. I am wondering if using a rain X product on the face shield is a good idea to help shed rain and for better vision? Also, what about the same on the moto-shield? Suggestions are definitely appreciated, as it has been raining non-stop for days and I am going a little stir crazy wanting to ride.

Bob T
    Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    Even if the face did not fog. how can I stop my eyeglasses from fogging? And the fog coats both sides of the lens.
    This is mine biggest problem in the rain.
    Tony
    Tony, that's why I ordered the Fog Tech product. I applied it to both sides of my glasses the other day and rode to work on a damp, 37?? morning.
    They didn't fog at all.

Now, someone in the thread said it didn't work on their glasses, but it may be worth a try....

Motorradfahrer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayette View Post
    New to this forum, so please indulge me as I try to get the correct question. I am wondering if using a rain X product on the face shield is a good idea to help shed rain and for better vision? Also, what about the same on the moto-shield? Suggestions are definitely appreciated, as it has been raining non-stop for days and I am going a little stir crazy wanting to ride.
    Rain X is for glass only. Nikki Wax people make something for plastic but cannot speak to how well it works. The Fog City inserts work.

Pinlock question

Based on the comments in this thread, I made the investment in the Pinlock system for my new Arai XD3. That is a great helmet, but it does have issues with fogging in the rain.

So, I've installed it, and will try it tomorrow for the first time. I did get no fog while breathing heavily inside the helmet after installing the shield.

My question is that it looks like the pinlock insert is sticking to the inside of the shield a bit... is this normal? In other words, it doesn't look like there is an airspace between much of the two surfaces. I was very careful to install, i believe there is a good seal all the way around, and it looks clear when wearing the helmet... but I can see what people are talking about regarding minor distortion.

Experienced advice appreciated.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jogitu View Post
    Get a Fog City Shield Fog Insert for less than $20 at one of several online Moto gear dealers. Indysuperbikes to name one. They work very well.
    This. they work great, been using them for years.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    My question is that it looks like the pinlock insert is sticking to the inside of the shield a bit... is this normal? In other words, it doesn't look like there is an airspace between much of the two surfaces. I was very careful to install, i believe there is a good seal all the way around, and it looks clear when wearing the helmet

Ian
    The insert itself should not be touching the visor, just the urethane seal around it. They are very close together, however.
    Kevin W.
    '76 R90/6 (wei?ƒe kuh)
    '11 G650GS (Bill the Cat)
    Der Weg ist das Ziel!

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    My question is that it looks like the pinlock insert is sticking to the inside of the shield a bit... is this normal? ...
    Experienced advice appreciated.
    Note that the tension on the shield can be adjusted by rotating the pins. See http://pinlockusa.net/TensionAdjustment

You don't want the tension too loose (lets in moisture) nor too tight (shield can contact lens).

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Note that the tension on the shield can be adjusted by rotating the pins. See http://pinlockusa.net/TensionAdjustment

You don't want the tension too loose (lets in moisture) nor too tight (shield can contact lens).
    thanks marc.... i had looked at that page.

unfortunately, the pins i have in the pre-pinned Arai XD-3 shield i bought do not work as shown in these instructions. the pins do not push completely out of the shield and they are not 1-piece.

instead they are two pieces (unless I broke both of them trying to remove them as instructed) and the inner eccentric pin piece pushes into an external grommet with a snap fit.

once i figured this out, there was no way i could get the shield to fit the pins again. the pin & grommet halves kept popping apart, with the teeny tiny clear pin going flying somewhere randomly across the room. amazingly, i was able to find it three times before one of the pins went down the air conditioning duct.

oh well, they sell replacement pins.

do people actually do this on the side of the road or in camp? despite washing my hands and cleaning them again in alcohol to make sure i had no oils on my fingers, i was unable to get this inner piece mounted without fingerprinting it.

this is way WAY too fiddly for me. heck, i bought a dark and a clear shield because it looked like you could just snap things in and out. no way without removing the visor from the helmet, which in itself is somewhat of a PITA.

i can't believe i spent $120 on this. despite my friends and even myself often claiming to the contrary, my manual dexterity is pretty good. but from what i've experienced you have to have the skills of a brain surgeon to get this thing to fit right.