Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Helmets, fog and cash

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    oh well, they sell replacement pins.
    well, amazingly enough, they do not sell replacement pins, only shields.

i can't believe that for a $60 face shield, and as fiddly as these pins are, that they don't provide extras in the package or replacement parts.

i just contacted the Pinlock folks through their site and they are going mail be some (nice to get a reply on a Sunday afternoon..... fwiw)

ian

fog city product = $17.95
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Registered User Luvmybeemerbike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by E_Page View Post
    My Shoei Multitec fogs up bad too. I'll get the pinlock system before next winter. but first I have to get through this winter. Had 6" of snow at my house in the CA foothills yeterday. It was almost 90 degrees less than two weeks ago.
    I agree 100% here. Also have a Multitec and was ready to rag the lid UNTIL I decided to email Shoei. They were very gracious enough to send me a pin lock visor and the insert for FREE. It cured the fogging issue. I only wish the helmet already came with them as it is rather on the high end side to begin with.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

do people actually do this on the side of the road or in camp? despite washing my hands and cleaning them again in alcohol to make sure i had no oils on my fingers, i was unable to get this inner piece mounted without fingerprinting it.
    I've never removed the pinlock lens any place other than my garage. Can't see why I'd ever want to change it on the side of the road... but then I only use a clear lens in a clear visor. I've sun/safety glasses with various lenses for day, for, and night.

And I've never needed to touch the inner surface on the lens save when washing. On my XD3 I remove the visor from the helmet, hold the dry lens by the edge, and use my forearms to hold the visor almost flat while fitting the edge of the lens under the pins. The lens almost snaps to the visor. I then let up the pressure on the visor, letting it resume it's normal shape. The key is holding the visor near flat when fitting the pinlock lens.

It takes less time to do the job than it does to read the above paragraph. It takes much longer to remove and replace the shield from the helmet. Also, I only need to do that maybe once a month unless riding in really dusty conditions.

i can't believe that for a $60 face shield, and as fiddly as these pins are, that they don't provide extras in the package or replacement parts.
    Strange. I got my visor directly from Arai when their on-line store was working and it came with a zip-lock bag containing 3 pins and a pinlock decal. That was several years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I've never removed the pinlock lens any place other than my garage. Can't see why I'd ever want to change it on the side of the road... but then I only use a clear lens in a clear visor. I've sun/safety glasses with various lenses for day, for, and night.
    well, i wanted to have a darkened one for day, and clear for night.... of course, this was before I saw "Daytime use only" stamped into the clear shield. i sincerely doubt i would die a horrible death if i were to use the clear shield at night (unless there are serious issues with reflections/glare) and it would be much easier to do if you didn't need to remove the faceshield from the helmet.

i use safety sunglasses, too, but a little extra tint is always nice. sorta like flipping down the dark half-lens on the Schuberth or Nolan model helmets. When riding into the sunrise or sunset, it's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman
    On my XD3 I remove the visor from the helmet, hold the dry lens by the edge, and use my forearms to hold the visor almost flat while fitting the edge of the lens under the pins. The lens almost snaps to the visor.
    i am doing almost exactly the same thing except i can't get enough purchase on the edge of the lens when snapping it into the second pin. i have to squeeze the lens between my fingers and that's when it gets fingerprinted. no doubt it takes practice.

on a high note, my wife (ol' Eagle Eye) spotted the missing pin that went flying...it had landed in the carpet. so, i will try yet again.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar

I live in Seattle, so I know wet riding

About three months ago, I replaced my four year old after-market Pinlock-equipped Shoei Multitech with a Shuberth C3, which comes with the Pinlock already installed.

Where the Shoei fogged up all around the Pinlock, there is virtually no fogging whatsoever with the C3 - the difference being that the C3 is far better vented than the Shoei. I can feel air moving across my face when the vent on the chin bar is open. When the vent on the top of the helmet is also opened, there is a virtual wind tunnel as the air enters at the chin, moves up the face, and exits out the top/back of the helmet.

So - even more important than the presence of a Pinlock is the amount of airflow through the helmet - something the C3 excels at.

I also love having the built-in sun shade. Rode almost 800 miles this weekend, seemingly always heading east in the mornings and west in the afternoons. Pairing the built-in sun visor with sunglasses really cuts down on the amount of solar radiation that enters your eyes - and the helmet - keeping it cooler and more comfortable inside.

The C3 feels as if it weighs half what the Shoei did. A few fewer pounds buffeting around atop your shoulders all day really makes a difference at the end of the day.

Regarding adjusting the fit of the Pinlock to the visor, my Shoei pre-drilled for Pinlock visors came with adjustable Pinlock pins - you can rotate them to make the Pinlock fit snugly against the shield. The C3 visor does not come with these adjustable pins, but the Pinlock fits against the shield perfectly. Let's hope it stays that way, and that replacement Pinlocks fit equally well.
    Last edited by OfficerImpersonator; 06-27-2011 at 08:38 PM.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Got caught in the bad storms in ATL last weekend.....hot steamy rain....my scorpion exo900 did not fog up!
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kthflieger View Post
    Got caught in the bad storms in ATL last weekend.....hot steamy rain....my scorpion exo900 did not fog up!
    You'll get much greater fogging when the temperature outside the helmet is much less than the temperature inside your helmet as your breath condenses on the plastic being chilled by the colder air outside.

High heat and high humidity don't produce as much condensation inside the helmet as low temps with high humidity (i.e. "Seattle").
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

A follow up on my saga...

The Pinlock people sent me new pins... and they are different than those that came on my Arai shield. These are a single casting, as opposed to the Arai pins which, as noted above, came apart in two halves.

The pins snapped right in, adjusted correctly and the Pinlock shield fit perfectly. Well, all except for one tiny little area where it still contacts the Arai shield. It's out of my line of sight, I can live with it.

if i were designing this, i'd go with small knurled brass pins that thread together. i'd add a screwdriver slot so that they could be adjusted very accurately and then tightened on the shield so that they can't move. These pins are almost completely out of your peripheral vision and it seems a little more rugged than tiny plastic boogers that you can barely hang on to.

jmo

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.