Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: got the R90 out in the sun

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Was rolling over this morn when the thought pops into mind, if there's leak after welding the whole thing together, and fuel has been introed into tank, then there will be fuel in the gap between the welds, and the torch will light up the fuel!

Sometimes a seemingly great idea, making the tank back superstrong, can lead to unforeseen consequences.

So, just going go ahead with What I first did, make the back with fewer pieces, fewer welds, and no overlapping joints. Will hang this piece on wall as a conversation piece, I think I can pound out the two new pieces fairly soon using what I've learned.

I knew there was reason I never saw a lot of welds on the various tanks seen!
    Just yesterday in welding class, a guy welded two plate squares together all around the edges (doubling their thickness), then tried to practice welding beads on the surface.

He'd gotten a good weld on the edge, with no leaks until the wee bit of air trapped between the plates made its own leak with a BANG!

Well the welder did say they'd never leak, maybe I'm getting too anal. I'll think about it for a day or two. Yes, it's tig welded. Thanks John.
    That is why you pressure test it. I MIG welded tank for my Bronco years ago. MIG leaves lots of porosity, I had some very small leaks, but the POR 15 cured it just fine. It was steel and way before I learned to TIG.
    John.

Appointment with psychiatrist tomorrow.
    Don't forget to take your leather bag and a mallet along... ..
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I'm having trouble visualizing where you're going. It looks like this is a cover for a Forumla 1 rear engine. Or the housing to cover the engine for a sidecar racing rig.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I'm having trouble visualizing where you're going.
    FrankenTank!!!

But then this is the interior/underside ...

Lew Morris

that looks really great, looks like the hard part is over now?
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

Looking great, keep it up!
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

Didja take any full-on side shots while it was out in the sun?

Lew Morris

I agree with your observation, not enough curve or height on the top, it that's what's great about what you're doing. Just take it off and make a new one

I'm building an aermacchi right now for my daughter and hate the stock sportsterish tank. Bought a leggero version off eBay and set off to cutting it up and welding it (widening it and stretching it). Then I came across a benelli tank that looked perfect, picked that up and just modified the frame and the mounting ears to accept the tank. I wish I had the talent to do what you're doing and just make exactly what I want out of a piece of aluminum, would save me a lot of headaches - or maybe introduce an entire set of new ones

I love this thread of yours

Looks like it is coming together nicely.

Looks good from here. I suspect it will look good going down the road too. The lower top may allow a tank bag that does not interfere with the kill switch. Don't lose heart, spring is here, soon the warm weather will follow and bugs will die.

Sashweet 898.

You going to do a BSA Victor-esque kinda detail on the tank, or buff out the whole thing?

Lew Morris

Wish I had that Beesa, what a Beauty.
    Not to hijack this thread, but a friend of mine rode one of those in the 60s. You could tell his tire tracks from mine in the soft sand of Northern Michigan. My tracks were smooth with trials universal tires, his tire tracks were scuffed, then smooth, then scuffed again. Each scuff was on a power stroke. I once tried to start his bike with tennis shoes. It kicked back so hard I could hardly walk. That said, I too would love to have one.

Now, back to the R90.

Wayne

I actually get weak in the knees just dreaming about kicking a brit bike over, and then pushing my buddy down the driveway. But that single scrambler, with an aluminum tank no less, really gets my mind ticking.

a 441 Victor was almost the first bike i ever owned. The Victor's "finicky" starting put me on a TR6C instead.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots