Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: can we go deeper on Dyna Beads and balancing?

BOKRIJDER
    OH,

Bingo !!

"with the exception that most spinning things have a critical speed ( whole nother animal that is )." Quote

All spinning things have a critical speed to one extent or another. What happens at a critical speed - it vibrates/ shakes. Vibration node points How this applies to tires is what if a vibration node point occurs at a speed at which we like to cruise, say 75mph. With dynamic balancing we can minimize these critical speeds (vibration node points) and move them out of our operating speed range.

Bokrijder

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Are Carpenter Bees & Bumblebees related?The former eat my house and the latter sting big time! I am one of the fools that uses them and find them easy to capture using an old hillbilly trick(I didn't know indians wore panty hose?) that includes dismounting the tire and dumping them on a newspaper,etc.. No, I don't wash or clean them either, simply reweigh them and place back in the tire. I bought a bunch on an Advrider group buy and keep to the 1 oz fron/2 oz rear amt.. I have a electronic scale I bought new on ebay for 99 cents that goes up tp 76# and weighs to the tenth of an oz!!! It weighs the same as my local USPS scale.
    I have placed them in maybe 6 sets of tires and get better than most mileages. As to the valve thing-a blast of air prevents that problem as does simply having the valve at above bottom road position. Whatever the little buggers do in there it works for me.

I like your "no lead" solution! Who'd have ever thought of balancing your tires using Carpenter Bees and Bumblebees? Do you use live or dead ones?

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

The main advantage for dynamic (spinning) balance on cars is that the machine detects inside-outside imbalance which can't be done with static balancing. The wider the wheell the more important this is. You would notice that usually the weights on the outside (hubcap side) of a car tire don't line up with the weights on the inside (axle side).

Most motorcycle tires (fat billy bob extravaganzas excepted) are narrow compared to car tires and the inside/outside differentiation seldom happens.

In fact, I like to balance my wheels without a tire and mark those weights so they stay on the wheel. Then when I mount a new tire I almost never need to use another weight.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I use Rosary Beads in all my tires, The rides Heavenly.

Quote Originally Posted by RegularRider View Post
    I use Rosary Beads in all my tires, The rides Heavenly.
    Probably the best solution yet!
    "Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too."

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The main advantage for dynamic (spinning) balance on cars is that the machine detects inside-outside imbalance which can't be done with static balancing. The wider the wheell the more important this is. You would notice that usually the weights on the outside (hubcap side) of a car tire don't line up with the weights on the inside (axle side).

Most motorcycle tires (fat billy bob extravaganzas excepted) are narrow compared to car tires and the inside/outside differentiation seldom happens.

In fact, I like to balance my wheels without a tire and mark those weights so they stay on the wheel. Then when I mount a new tire I almost never need to use another weight.
    I can't say I have ever had a tire out of balance. Sometimes I balance static, sometimes spin, sometimes not? Ride always seems the same.

Perhaps I don't ride fast enough. Never hit the spin cycle so to speak...
    "Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too."

Smile

I have used Dyna Beads in the last 2 sets of Metzlers on my CLC with no complaints. I average 12K miles per set of tires, watch my air pressure, check my tires regularly and have experienced no vibration/wobble or uneven wear over the last 18K.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Unleaded gas and now wheel weights...whoda-thunk
    happened to shotgun shells a LONG time ago... somewhere between gas and wheel weights.
    the stew thickens, i see. lots of good theory here...

Plugs and beads???

Now, IF you happen to have a flat and plug your tire with beads in it! All the beads stick to the inserted snake plug and? What then! Seems interesting. I like the bead idea, but have no clue how it may or may not work. Lots of opinions here and SLIME has always been a balancer of sort too and works, I know. Another phenom I have had in most all my bikes(for years now) is NO balance at all seems to work quite great for me in recent years. I've not balanced any tires of the last 5-6 sets on my GSA1200 and KLT1200, with no balance issues. I use NO Slime in tires unless a road emergency requires it and have had good success with the green goo as a temp fix...Randy

From MARS
    Randy, I use the Dyna-Plugs with the beads and haven't had a problem. When I changed the tire, the little brass point was rolling around with the beads.

Tom

dstuckmann
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Now, IF you happen to have a flat and plug your tire with beads in it! All the beads stick to the inserted snake plug and? What then!
    I don't think that anything would happen. The stuck on beads could be creating an out of balance condition but the rest would readjust to cancel it out.

I get the theory of the beads moving around to balance a wheel but what about tires that do not have a smooth internal surface? I have seen tires with an embossed pattern inside and I would think that these small shallow pockets would inhibit the distribution of the beads.

In any case, I'll try them out in my Turbo's next tire change as I hate weights on the gold anodized wheels.

Good:)_

The physics of it all, spinning wheels with debris in there to balance is a brain tease and makes good fodder for discussion here, per the # of posts. I'm not a physics guy but love the anti alzheimers affect on my aging brain. They say, work the noodle, helps keep the webs out! Beads, beads everywhere with lots of opinions. That valve guy, having them get stuck in his wheel air valve is a worry, maybe? I wonder how that works. I will still ride all my future tires to see if in fact I need ANY balance at all, before making the effort to balance. I've been lucky. THX, Randy

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post

Per Dyna Beads they will not balance the newer low/wide auto tires, as apparently they are unable to distribute themselves as needed.
    As for the "texture" inside a tire, that goes with the fact that the bladders that inflate the tire into the mold have that texture on their outer surface and it's imparted to the tubeless layer inside the tire under the heat of curing. My beads have been trained to hop over those humps, thus not a problem...

14. 05-26-2011, 04:11 AM

The ones I was around(not very long at that) were more into weed than bead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    Using as in putting them on a bike or having them on your bike? In other words: can I pass through NY state with there lead weights on my wheels?
    Question is: do the cops now have "lead testers"? I would think that the POS is a more likely control point.