Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Blechblos'n

Motorcycleton
    Quote Originally Posted by fauster View Post
    I'm calling it the "Drink the Bavarian Kool-Aid" event. BMW NA knows that the MOA Rally will stir up a bunch of attention in the surrounding areas. So they want to draw in non-MOA folks and generate interest in their products.
    Um, I really don't think that there is going to be that much interest in BMW motorcycles outside the MOA rally. It seems that this marketing idea, directed towards a non-captured market segment, would be better located at other major motorcycle events, e.g., AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days (same weekend as MOA rally), Americade in NY in June, Honda Hoot in Knoxville, Aspencade, etc.

If BMW NA wants to reward / retain current customers then the "event" which they are sponsoring should have been part of the MOA Rally.

If the Blechblos'n performance is going to charge admission in addition to the MOA Rally fee, be outside the MOA area, and the MOA is going to have their own concurrent entertainment then BMW NA shouldn't be too surprised if their event has poor attendance.

You know, after thought and consideration, yeah, I think we'll pass.
    After all it's a lot better to spend the time with our friends at the rally then go offsite for some promotional entertainment.

Hope to see each and every one of you there. Pat & I will be helping with registration Wednesdya afternoon and Thursday morning. Stop by and say HELLO!

Mike
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."

Motorcycleton
    I noticed that the website homepage for today (14 July - Bastille Day) features the Blechblos'n entertainment. My question concerns this concert's association with the BMW MOA rally. If the concert is associated with the rally, why is there an additional cost?

And if the concert, sponsored by BMW Motorrad USA, is not part of the rally, then why is the MOA providing free publicity (e.g., prominently placed on the homepage)? Why doesn't BMW Motorrad USA just purchase ad space? Is the promotion of the extra-fee concert in exchange for other goods and/or services? How does the MOA club and membership benefit from freely promoting this concert?

http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally11/local_...national_rally

Read closer. It says the concert is free. The charge is for a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by smartin108 View Post
    Read closer. It says the concert is free. The charge is for a meal.
    So how much is the meal??? I haven't seen that printed anywhere.

As the saying goes, you guys would over analyze a haircut. Just find out when you get there.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Motorcycleton
    In all of the previous discussion about this concert, this is the first time that I've seen where the concert was free.

Personally I don't care what BMW Motorrad USA does - I am just wondering about the tie in with the Rally. If this is part of the rally, then it is part of the rally - if the concert is separate, then it isn't part of the rally. It seems that some of the communications up to this point have been less-than-clear about the "separate" concert.

Regardless, I expect to go and have a good time at the rally.

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
    As the saying goes, you guys would over analyze a haircut. Just find out when you get there.
    wu wei as the Chinese would say...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Smile Its for Joe Public

If the concert is associated with the rally, why is there an additional cost ?

The MOA has a strategic partnership with Motorrad USA to assist and support one another with events......... this was mentioned in meeting minutes a while back. It may have been in the ON with the distracting Scorpion ad, or the issue with the Honda on the cover or the one with the woman with the unsafe helmet no, no it was the dog eared one.

Additional cost ?

Because its open to the public and thus subject to the 20 % entertainment tax. The MOA Rally is NOT open to the public thus NOT subject to the entertainment tax..........the excuse we don't have day passes. The Motorrad Oktoberfest is a "conquest sales" event for BMW Motorrad USA trying to get Joe Public to see BMW bikes, win their hearts, wallets AND "give them an opportunity" that if they wish to see more lifestyle they could sign up for the MOA rally and join us........... to our benefit.......... BMW ran it Friday evening so the vendors goods was already picked through by rally goers.

And if the concert, sponsored by BMW Motorrad USA, is not part of the rally, then why is the MOA providing free publicity (e.g., prominently placed on the homepage) ?

Who said its free ?

Why is MOA getting free publicity on Motorrad USA'a site ?

Who said its free ?

Why is BMW Motorrad Canada attending the MOA Rally ?

To pay for vendor space to promote their dealer network event. More bikes sold in Canada, more dealers, more goods and services to BMW Owners who maybe our members. Plus it looks great for our Canadian family members because the MOA is an International organization.

Why doesn't BMW Motorrad USA just purchase ad space ?

They may have by giving X amount in financial support to rally events, future ad space in ON etc etc. IMO if BMW had their way they would be inside our rally making it look like theirs ...... they are not except for a Demo Truck offering FREE rides and paid for vendor space. They are a paid guest like we are.

How come Harley Davidson wasn't asked to attend ?

They are, BMW Motorrad USA allowed a public event. The MOA has also because all makes and models are accepted.

Is the promotion of the extra-fee concert in exchange for other goods and /or services ?

Everyone has a price point. Its also helping them offset the cost of doing business like paying the 20% entertainment tax, buying food and drink, tent and tiolets, and security, since they can't use ours.

How does the MOA club and membership benefit from freely promoting this concert ?

Joe Public comes to the event and likes German food and drink. He or she see BMW motorcycles and falls in love. They buy a bike(s) and safety gear that they most likely will never need and hopefully the BMW brand from a dealer who pays his employees. That dealer may even see if Mr or Ms Joe wants to join the MOA. More Joe Publics buy more bikes then BMW says I think we need more dealerships and services for the Joes'. More bikes sold, more dealerships, more goods and services for the owner(s) and maybe better towing service to apps, but not Alps..........thats for tour companies that support our magazine and a another story.

Or what I meant to say.

Its an entertainment opportunity for some of the membership that do not want to listen to our Friday night offerings. The event is saving me about 5 grand so I don't have to have my junk touched catching a flight to Germany. Its a party, I can leave my expensive helmet, two grand worth of gear on my bike and my key in the ignition. Plus its great to know where all the DUI Checkpoints are once I fly out of there...DUIs are expensive in the EU.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by fauster View Post
    I'm calling it the "Drink the Bavarian Kool-Aid" event. BMW NA knows that the MOA Rally will stir up a bunch of attention in the surrounding areas. So they want to draw in non-MOA folks and generate interest in their products. Kind of like "If you buy one of our bikes, you too can be one of the Happy Rally Goers inside the Fairgrounds!"

Parasitic marketing at its finest.
    I feel for the VOLUNTEER gate and security folks...going to have their hands full...but you can't say Friday night is without a choice of entertainment... I count four for rally attendees during that time slot...
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Here is what it actually says:

"An amazing treat for you: BMW has invited a very famous event band from Germany called "Blechblos'n" to join us for the first time in the USA. This madcap eight-person group is quite possibly the hottest rally band you will ever see and is one of the biggest draws at the Oktoberfest in Munich as well as outdoor festivals all over Europe. The fabulous "Blechblos'n" concert attendance is free."

Quote Originally Posted by smartin108 View Post
    Here is what it actually says:

The fabulous "Blechblos'n" concert attendance is free."
    I like "free"!

I might even buy a ticket for the dinner. I'll check it out when I get there.
    04 R1150RT

blechbosn

Thanks statdawg for all that info, we are looking forward to the BMWNA tent, music, and dinner. i have no problem understanding the whys and wherefors of BMW the company doing a separate but concurrent event. Between the Fri. evening MOA entertainment and Blechblos'n, almost sounds like too much fun for one day.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwcliff View Post
    Thanks statdawg for all that info, we are looking forward to the BMWNA tent, music, and dinner. i have no problem understanding the whys and wherefors of BMW the company doing a separate but concurrent event. Between the Fri. evening MOA entertainment and Blechblos'n, almost sounds like too much fun for one day.

I think its also a test for BMW Motorrad because if this works then maybe they will do something each year with us, because they finally have bikes for all ages.

Event sharing is a trend. Tour-a-tec, Klim and Rawhyde does events together. Red Bull is involved with BMW in the EU. The bottom line is, if folks have fun so what if its commando marketing. I look at it as a appreciation event.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

The show was the highlight of the rally for me. The show was excellent, food was good, and the band obviously put in a lot of work to creat a performance for their first appearance in America. Thanks to everyone responsible for this event and special thanks to the band. Sincerely hope I get the opportunity to see them again.

Steve
    Steve Ellis
    2011 R1200RT
    IBA # 38299