Thread: Can someone please tell me...

Can someone please tell me...

...why BMW offers a top box for the F650 and not for the R1150R? Why did I pay 600 freagin bucks for the bags if'n I caint get a daw-gone matching top box?

Why!? Someone please just tell me why.

BobFV1
    Probably a blessing in disguise - the RT OEM top box is butt-heinous ugly. Try a Givi V46 - it's big enough but not too big, can support a passenger okay, and has an optional built-in brake light kit. I got one for the R and then shifted it over to the RT when I traded in the R. Also - the Givi Monokey pops on and off the bike with the push of a button - couldn't be easier!

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    For around 60.00 you can add a perfectly functional and not bad looking topcase. For about the same money you can get the mount for a Givi, and for 60.00 they will let you touch the BMW topcase.
    Here is a thread about the one I mounted on my RRS http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ensive+topcase
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam
    For around 60.00 you can add a perfectly functional and not bad looking topcase. For about the same money you can get the mount for a Givi, and for 60.00 they will let you touch the BMW topcase.
    Here is a thread about the one I mounted on my RRS http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ensive+topcase
    Loraz - that actually looks okay - but how about the purple Teletubby - he is definately GAY!!!

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobFV1
    Loraz - that actually looks okay - but how about the purple Teletubby - he is definately GAY!!!
    I don't have any kids around so the teletubbies are not on my list of stuff to watch. I might give them a go this weekend, and report back to you on that.

If you add the "touring" emblem and a roundel to that topcase noone will know the difference.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

HODAG
    actually don't care much for top boxes, I have one for the LT, and it rarely gets put on. occassionaly for work, if I need to stash my gear when visiting customers.
    other than that, sits to high, adds wind resistance, and looks kinda goofy. But my buddies GIVI looked very nice.

Teletubbies are perfect for hungover TV watching.

DAMHIK.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

HODAG
    The proud family concerns me more....

Givi E52. Can hold two helmets and has an integral brake light. Not quite the quality of the BMW case (say 90% as sturdy) but more functional and for me a better value. I purchased the optional backrest and the top rack.
    Cheers............Rod
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy": http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-000167680

Teletubbies are perfect for hungover TV watching.
    That must be why my local PBS affiliate used to run them at 3am!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

BobFV1
    Quote Originally Posted by L Rider
    Givi E52. Can hold two helmets and has an integral brake light. Not quite the quality of the BMW case (say 90% as sturdy) but more functional and for me a better value. I purchased the optional backrest and the top rack.
    Size of the E52 is nice, but I think on the R1150R Beakster, you would need to add a wheelie bar as well - MHO -

And I'll say it one more time, the purple teletubby is light in his loafers....

GIVI Box

Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam

This looks like my best option. The case looks right at home on the RS plus it's not too different from the factory side cases.

Have you ever seen a Roadster with Jesse cases? I'm looking at replacing the whole works with something else other than GIVI's. The handle sticking up on a GIVI side case looks wierd in my opinion.