Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 100

Thread: The GS Gypsy Tour

  1. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I'm wearing BattleWings by Bridgestone, similar to yours on my GSA1200. I go nearly everywhere on these(offroad too) and find only sand/mud the biggest obstacles.
    Yes, I looked up the BW's online, and they are similar to Anakee's. When I have done the forest trails around here, it was the mud patches that quickly clogged up the Anakees. Steeeep grades will spin the wheel. Water crossings are ok with me, as long as the stream is not deep mud, nor mossy, etc etc.

    The non-asphalt riding I have done has been on my DRZ400 with knobs, so getting wild with the R12GS seems daunting to me. I'll ride more early July on the GS around home for the experience, but even so I am not seeing too much mudholes, log jumping, hang-gliding, cliff hanging in my future.

    I'm a lifer dirt rider and will be FAR from my Calif. home, so I may be less than excited to get too risky in the woods with my transport GSA home. We may join up and do some good dirt exploring, leaving the hard core m/x byways to the locals, yes! IF anybody is interested, I can lead some intermediate riders and we'll have plenty of time to talk, get aquainted on the 17th in Murienville. I am camping. My loves are water crossings, hardpack trails, gravel and so on, with a few challenges, mudholes and the like thrown in. Log jumping and huge boulders, I bypass if possible. Join me, find me in the camp, July17. CA Plated GSA1200, Red/White with about 30 years GS riding, since 1982 in me. Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear"
    I'm looking forward to meeting you all and seeing how you handle the GS. That will be great to experience. And looking forward to NOT being around those who keep telling me, GS aren't made for off-asphalt.

    I'll be on the blue GS from North Carolina.

  2. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    You'll be fine with those tires, as long as you stay off the single track in the ORV area, which I am hearing is pretty challenging.

    if you're coming up from Asheville, I have two *perfect* Adventure Detours for you:

    - Head a bit east to Lake James and ride Old NC105, which also takes you over Roan Mountain and down Little Stony Creek Road.

    Go through Elizabethton, TN and find the...

    - Cherokee WMA

    These two rides will score you 50 points in your GS Giant total and point you toward Marienville.

    There will be other options for you, too. Look for your scorebook coming to you in the e-mail around July 1 or so....

    Ian
    Yep, I haven't ridden single track on any bike, so not for me on the GS. And what Bokrijder says seems right. Rain and mud will overwork the Anakees. But I am sure that will be plenty of options now matter what happens. The photos I see above in the thread all seem doable to me, so I look forward to those roads. And we'll see what Polarbear is thinking up once we all arrive.

    Your rides you list look great. Slick work with google maps. I am familiar with NC105 on the DRZ, so I'll try it now with the GS as one of my training rides while I'm still around here. The other one near Elizabethton I can try this weekend while I am at the MSTA rally in Johnson City. Being from Clyde, I'd guess you know the area pretty well, non??

    This is looking fun.
    (I think..... )

  3. #48
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,543
    Quote Originally Posted by motomixon View Post
    Being from Clyde, I'd guess you know the area pretty well, non??
    oh yeah. we live in atlanta, but have a retirement house up there. i've been riding & camping up that way since the early 80s... it is motorcycle nirvana!

    if you like Old NC105, you're really going to like the rest of that route.

    on the Cherokee ride, Holston Mountain road off US321 really doesn't look like much... like you're going back up into a neighborhood. just keep following it, and watch out for bubba in his pickemup truck.

    ian

  4. #49
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,543

    Gotta give it up to FredRyder....

    ... who continues doing ride research. this is on one of the GS Gypsy tour routes.


  5. #50
    Registered User lineman126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    191
    Thanks to all who are doing the prerides and route planning.
    I wish I lived in the area and could do more. Looks like it's going to be some great riding that's for sure.
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.
    Any tool if used improperly can be used as a hammer.

  6. #51
    Registered User ltrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    165
    Is there still time to register for the Gypsy Tour? I haven't gotten the final OK for my trip, but I'm hoping to get my hall pass by this weekend. I had planned on coming up mid-week, but this looks like fun. I'm not a trail rider, but would like to learn how to better handle the GS. Thanks!

  7. #52
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690
    Yes! Still time to register!!!

  8. #53
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,543
    Quote Originally Posted by LTrider View Post
    Is there still time to register for the Gypsy Tour? I haven't gotten the final OK for my trip, but I'm hoping to get my hall pass by this weekend. I had planned on coming up mid-week, but this looks like fun. I'm not a trail rider, but would like to learn how to better handle the GS. Thanks!
    this is the perfect opportunity for you. Nice riding on gravel roads, a beautiful tour across the state.

    Wednesday morning is the Warmup at the Family Farm, where you can putt-putt around in a wide-open field and get a good feeling about riding off-road.

    hope you can make it.

    Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    ________________________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  9. #54
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730
    Many of the roads are hard packed dirt used by locals in cars. The intent is that they would be a nice for big bikes loaded with rally gear. Yes, there maybe some erosion issues, puddles to ride around or through but over all doable for all.

    The GS rides are broken down into three skill sets. Beginner offers normal local dirt roads featuring covered bridges, the intermediate ride is gameland roads folks use to access hunting and fishing areas, some of the steep parts may have a few ruts and there maybe standing water in puddles if we had a rain storm. The advanced ride begins as intermediate and progresses into skill areas from stream crossings, gnarly single track to steep roads with heavy loose gravel and then the roads become black in the coal region ......the Black Dakar. Only 25 will be allowed on the advanced route.

    The rally offering is designed for the thinking GSer and offers opportunities for all levels. There is training available and nice roads so when you do return home you will be a better rider and have more friends.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  10. #55
    On the road to nowhere aphillips66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    62

    Question GS gathering point?

    Will there be a location at the rally for GS riders to meet and depart for some of these rides?


  11. #56
    look out!!! Visian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    ATL/WNC
    Posts
    8,543
    Quote Originally Posted by aphillips66 View Post
    Will there be a location at the rally for GS riders to meet and depart for some of these rides?
    Andrew - yes. The infield at the harness racing track is GS Giant land. Most everything will get going from there. ALTrider's ride (which I think you're more that qualified for....) will be leaving from their booth area on Wednesday morning early. (This could possibly get sketchy, since the rally won't be fully set up, so don't get there at 8:30 and start looking for it.)

    Also on Wednesday morning will be a ride leaving to go to the Warmup at the Family Farm. That event is for people who want to get their dirt legs, and we're *hoping* that it will be led by RawHyde.

    Here is the rally site map.

    This whole thing is like herding kittens.

    Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    ________________________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

  12. #57
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Andrew - yes. The infield at the harness racing track is GS Giant land. Most everything will get going from there. ALTrider's ride (which I think you're more that qualified for....) will be leaving from their booth area on Wednesday morning early. (This could possibly get sketchy, since the rally won't be fully set up, so don't get there at 8:30 and start looking for it.)

    Also on Wednesday morning will be a ride leaving to go to the Warmup at the Family Farm. That event is for people who want to get their dirt legs, and we're *hoping* that it will be led by RawHyde.

    Here is the rally site map.

    This whole thing is like herding kittens.

    Ian
    Or looking through muddy goggles following a Bultaco Matador.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  13. #58
    Registered User lineman126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    Many of the roads are hard packed dirt used by locals in cars. The intent is that they would be a nice for big bikes loaded with rally gear. Yes, there maybe some erosion issues, puddles to ride around or through but over all doable for all.

    The GS rides are broken down into three skill sets. Beginner offers normal local dirt roads featuring covered bridges, the intermediate ride is gameland roads folks use to access hunting and fishing areas, some of the steep parts may have a few ruts and there maybe standing water in puddles if we had a rain storm. The advanced ride begins as intermediate and progresses into skill areas from stream crossings, gnarly single track to steep roads with heavy loose gravel and then the roads become black in the coal region ......the Black Dakar. Only 25 will be allowed on the advanced route.

    The rally offering is designed for the thinking GSer and offers opportunities for all levels. There is training available and nice roads so when you do return home you will be a better rider and have more friends.
    Can I put in my request to be one of the 25 advanced riders now? I've been told a lot of times that I take the bike places it shouldn't go. You know the old, "You rode that bike through there?" LOL
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.
    Any tool if used improperly can be used as a hammer.

  14. #59
    Novice Adventurer Newstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Landenberg, PA
    Posts
    2,690
    Quote Originally Posted by lineman126 View Post
    Can I put in my request to be one of the 25 advanced riders now? I've been told a lot of times that I take the bike places it shouldn't go. You know the old, "You rode that bike through there?" LOL
    Oooh...a show of bravado?

    Anyone care to challenge this bold statement with one of their own?


  15. #60
    On the road to nowhere aphillips66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire USA
    Posts
    62

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Here is the rally site map.

    This whole thing is like herding kittens.

    Ian
    You've got that right!

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •