Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The GS Gypsy Tour

This is going to be the best GS ride ever across PA! Being followed by a giant grill and good beer! It just doesn't get any better.
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.
    Any tool if used improperly can be used as a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman126 View Post
    This is going to be the best GS ride ever across PA! Being followed by a giant grill and good beer! It just doesn't get any better.
    It gets better, Twisted Throttles bike is Black & Gold and it looks like a Steeler ride.

I mean MOA Ambassador Shirt colors.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

All signed up and ready to ride. Just got a new set of shoes for Trigger(GSA). Really looking forward to this well needed trip, and meeting some new riding friends.

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Statdawg View Post
    It gets better, Twisted Throttles bike is Black & Gold and it looks like a Steeler ride.

I mean MOA Ambassador Shirt colors.
    That was one of the reasons I posted I should win on FaceBook. The bike is already the right color!
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.

Gotta love gravel roads....

a scene from the Gypsy Tour.....

I love it when you feel like your floating on the gravel. Just shaving enough speed to stick in the corners.

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Over the top of the hill in the foregoing photo, the gravel road wends it's way through apple orchards before it changes to asphalt, passing through where Lee's troops once marched towards Gettysburg and where two BS Points await:

Then you climb into the mountains of a State Forest and ride the crest of the ridge:

And take a quick peek down short logging side-road for a view of the next broad valley that you'll cross - to even more mountains and great roads!

You've only just begun, and yet the route has so much more!

Fred

Near ready now:)

New tires on, packing taking place daily now in my garage, still no GPS but I'll be along the PA Trails somewhere even so(new compass. Sweeper's in my blood and first aide, no problem. This looks to be a real hoot of a time back there. My journey will be around 5000m just getting there, with my sidetrips and all and I'll be very anxious to meet up in Murienville, the 17th with a big smile. Hope we get the 100 riders, sure sounds neat enough! How many miles is the three days on dirt, total? Is the 72 miles the first day or total to Bloomsburg on dirt? I have only 14 days to depart day, so do I have to download anything, Gypsy Tour related, or collect it once there on site? I'll do some map homework of that region for my lacking GPS, maybe a nice forest service map from the State of PA., or USFS..See ya'll in Murienville. PS; The after ride dinners sure sound great too. I don't want to be a sour puss, but a non alcohol guy here needing other drinks. No issues with all that do partake beer, I'm happy to be in the company with all. Randy"Polarbear"

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    ...maybe a nice forest service map from the State of PA....
    There are free glossy maps for each of the Pennsylvania State Forests, and they are more accurate than my Garmin's latest database (ver 2012.1). Can't be beat for the tankbag map window. They are available from Harrisburg, or you can pick them up at forest ranger headquarters for the respective forests. You can see and select the maps online.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry...sts/index.aspx

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; 06-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Way to go, Fred:)

Thanks a million. Thats what I'm talking about. I'll be on that like a June Bug on a Summer day buzzin about. Anybody showing up with some of these maps would be very popular too, make a few bucks... Thanks, Randy

Got it figured out, finally

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    There will be at least three options for the 300 mile ride on Tuesday: More dirt, less dirt, no dirt. You will probably enjoy the less dirt option best. We'll have GPS routes for all three available.

Ian
    Ok, I am signed up for the Gypsy Tour, after some futsin with the registration links. But that's done now.
    Likely I'll be doing the beginner to intermediate dirt rides. Right now my R12GS has Anakee 2 on it, not to much worn. Is that enough tread for what you guys are planning? If not, suggestions. I'll be riding up from Asheville, NC.

Thanks,

Tires:)

I'm wearing BattleWings by Bridgestone, similar to yours on my GSA1200. I go nearly everywhere on these(offroad too) and find only sand/mud the biggest obstacles. I point it, get speed and hang on, because if you "stop" in mud/sand, you're gonna work much harder. I'm making some fun here, at your expense. I'm a lifer dirt rider and will be FAR from my Calif. home, so I may be less than excited to get too risky in the woods with my transport GSA home. We may join up and do some good dirt exploring, leaving the hard core m/x byways to the locals, yes! IF anybody is interested, I can lead some intermediate riders and we'll have plenty of time to talk, get aquainted on the 17th in Murienville. I am camping. My loves are water crossings, hardpack trails, gravel and so on, with a few challenges, mudholes and the like thrown in. Log jumping and huge boulders, I bypass if possible. Join me, find me in the camp, July17. CA Plated GSA1200, Red/White with about 30 years GS riding, since 1982 in me. Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear"

Quote Originally Posted by motomixon View Post
    Ok, I am signed up for the Gypsy Tour, after some futsin with the registration links. But that's done now.
    Likely I'll be doing the beginner to intermediate dirt rides. Right now my R12GS has Anakee 2 on it, not to much worn. Is that enough tread for what you guys are planning? If not, suggestions. I'll be riding up from Asheville, NC.

Thanks,
    You'll be fine with those tires, as long as you stay off the single track in the ORV area, which I am hearing is pretty challenging.

if you're coming up from Asheville, I have two *perfect* Adventure Detours for you:

- Head a bit east to Lake James and ride Old NC105, which also takes you over Roan Mountain and down Little Stony Creek Road.

Go through Elizabethton, TN and find the...

- Cherokee WMA

These two rides will score you 50 points in your GS Giant total and point you toward Marienville.

There will be other options for you, too. Look for your scorebook coming to you in the e-mail around July 1 or so....

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Bird Dog

Tire selection

Advice for folks not familiar with PA off roading.
    Rainfall can play a large factor in tire selection. Trails can go from easy Tourance category in dry conditions to knobs recommended or required in wet conditions.
    The route planing takes this into account, so that none will be boxed into a corner of not riding if knobbies are not mounted.
    However, if you would like to take advantage of the genuine gnarly challenging routes being offered - I would suggest knobs.

Bokrijder
    M J Stone - North East, MD
    1965 R50/2
    2006 KTM 450 EXC
    2009 KLR650

Knobs are great,BUT!

Miles are to great for many of us riding very far to get there and the knobs are just outside of my options, $$$ wise. Hope for less rain I rode a rainy day in W.VA backwoods without issues on the DS tires. It was a intermediate trail in wet conditions. Wet and Steep terrain would be "out of bounds" for these DS tires indeed. See ya'll soon. RandyGSA1200'07, just finished my service chores today, bike READY