Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: New BMW Water-Cooled Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by 40427 View Post
    I must be getting real old, because i fail to see the need for 130 hp on a street motorcycle...
    I also agree, but when you consider the number of bikes with 130 hp and more that are sold, you have to agree there is a real desire for the additional power which translates to more money for the motorcycle companies.

And don't feel bad, you are not the only one around here who is getting old.

E

I must be getting real old, because i fail to see the need for 130 hp on a street motorcycle.

Also cannot fathom a 1200cc so called off road/ on road motorcycle. Most of those are like the SUV's that the soccer Mom's drive. The only off road the will ever see is when they run over a garbage can left in the driveway.
    i am not sure you understand the model. It's not an off-road bike, but an off-pavement bike. it's strengths are long days over the road, no mater the surface.

i just returned from a 1600 mile 4-day weekend trip, where i visited a number of National Forest campgrounds and about 20% unpaved roads.

not only can my 1150 handle the big highway days (my 1150 has an overdrive 6th gear that loafs along at 4k rpm @ 80mph), it can also handle the unpaved surfaces quite well, even when fully loaded with camping gear.

it's more of a tractor than an SUV, and there are very few other bikes that can do what it does so well.

in an odd paradox... i'd like to have a bit more power so that i can use less of it while riding. iow, i don't like to have to tap the majority of the bike's power to do anything.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

I did not mean to sound like i was throwing stones at those who ride the GS's of the world.
    But for me my 650 Wee Strom did all that at a much lower weight and price.

I decided that i was not interested in riding off pavement as much as i thought i would like it, to each his own.

I also no longer camp or shoot guns, uncle Sam cured me of all desire for both those activities.

I did not mean to sound like i was throwing stones at those who ride the GS's of the world.
    But for me my 650 Wee Strom did all that at a much lower weight and price.
    oh, i didn't think you were casting aspersions on GS, just reacting to your comment about being "off-road" bikes. What they can handle very well is non-paved roads while packed to the sky with camping gear. Their real strength is continent crushing... extended adventure travel.

Having spent some time on a Wee, you either weigh very little, pack very light, take shorter trips or ride a bit slower... all of which are nothing to be ashamed of.

it's been my experience that there is no way the Wee can haul a full-size rider with a large amount of gear, mile after mile, paved and unpaved, 80mph all day, easily knocking out 1K a day, with the same nonplussed composure of the GS.

the Wee can probably do it, but with a lot more stress on the machine and the rider.

Last edited by Visian; 10-27-2011 at 12:17 PM.

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

BMW Water-Cooled Boxer

I must be getting real old, because i fail to see the need for 130 hp on a street motorcycle.
    Interesting observation and I can completely understand it though for some it's not a question of how much power you need but how much you can have (or want). Some of you might consider me an old dude at 51 years of age and I've had the pleasure of riding the BMW S1000RR with 193 hp and an Audi RS6 with 560 hp. Neither vehicle exceeded my tolerance for power -- I loved them both but would be happy with more!

Kent

I'm not what you would call a light weight by any means ( I am working on it )

I do ride slower than i used to , I admit that, and rarely see 80 mph any longer.
    I know a place for those kinds of speeds and higher, it's called a race track .
    Just too many variables on public roads for me to feel comfortable much more than 5 mph over the posted limit. I also find that I can keep my driving privlege if I motor along at that pace.

My trips are shorter these day for sure, age and infirmity ,or is it age and wisdom, I forget.

As for more power, under the right conditions and the right place I still like more HP , speed does not bother me in the least. It's the sudden stop that worries me.

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Sudden Stops

You are right about that -- and good brakes have to go with more horsepower. As well as responsible riding. Thanks.

Kent

Not a track

Out on I-10 , West TX.
    The 65 part is supposed to be coming down since this past September's legislation change. Sometmes a little more HP isn't a bad thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

it's been my experience that there is no way the Wee can haul a full-size rider with a large amount of gear, mile after mile, paved and unpaved, 80mph all day, easily knocking out 1K a day, with the same nonplussed composure of the GS.

the Wee can probably do it, but with a lot more stress on the machine and the rider.

As a former owner of a 07DL650ABS with 20,000 miles I concur with above to a T.

The Wee was/is a Great Bike just not in the same league as the boxer IMO

Another Spy shot of the new Water cooled Boxer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Now that is GREAT!!!

The "Water Cooled Boxer" photo is Great!!

OK

Off road / Off Pavement I had a KLR650 I would ride with my buddies and Kids who were on 2 stroke dirt bikes. They called my bike the suburban but I could go with them on single track trails.

Now with a 89 R100GS yes it is a "Off Pavement" bike. No single track stuff.
    But great on the highway and on gravel roads.

1000CC Dirt bike!!! It works!!!
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

Quote Originally Posted by 85K100LT View Post
    Now with a 89 R100GS yes it is a "Off Pavement" bike. No single track stuff.
    But great on the highway and on gravel roads.

1000CC Dirt bike!!! It works!!!
    Slight hijack
    Check out some of Jim Klas's ( BeerTeam) single tracking on his R100GS...Somewhere in this report is some log hopping by him. Great pics are typical from Santa! He has ridden some knarly stuff on his airhead GS when he isn't on his KLX 250...I think it's a KLX .
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...t=26732&page=9

OK...back to the Wasser Boxer....love the brown one in the pool!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    another spy shot of the new water cooled boxer.
    nice !

Water cooled boxer

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzohr View Post
    Pictures of the Engine castings, Courtesy of MO BMW Motorr?ñder
    And yet another reason to start buying Moto Guzzi stock.They at least stick with traditional engine designs.

'Forgiven'
    I'm glad I bought new last year to carry me out a few more years and IMHO it doesn't get any better than this...W/ NO H2O... I'm not really interested in any H2O and whatever it brings with it.

..I side with the traditionalists..and yes maybe I'm getting a little old also; put my name on the air cooled side.
    Dana

God Bless America
    2011RT "Favor"of God