Hybrid View

No longer a member here

New BMW Water-Cooled Boxer

Pictures of the Engine castings, Courtesy of MO BMW Motorr?ñder
    Attached Images Attached Images

No longer a member here
    Another one...
    Last edited by schlitzohr; 05-02-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Cool!
    like to see the whole assembly. Still can't affornd a newer boxer let alone this one.
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"

Bluenoser
    The design is very similar to the older goldwings with the exception that the crossing tubes are cast in the block on the BMW & not external like on the wing.

It will certainly add weight & make the bike more complex, but will result in more horsepower & longer engine life. Also better at meeting emission's etc, but will be more expensive.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Nickname: Droid
    Cool details, which do show connections which look like for water cooling. However, to me those views are not the "rear" and "top" views. To me, what is shown as the "front" view is actually the bottom of the crankcase, given the locations of the exhaust ports and what look to be the mounting lugs for the engine to the frame.

What is shown as the "rear" view to me, seems to be the rear view but upside down, given the exahsut ports are shown on top. So far all other pictures of the "wet-head" show the exhaust ports coming out the bottom of the heads. In the "rear view" that hole in the center near the top, would probably be where the drive comes through for the oil pump?

The "rear view" certainly does not look right for a connection to a transmission or a flywheel. But what is also interesting, is the views to me indicate the transmission will still be a separate case from the engine. that indicates it will still be a dry clutch as on past R's, and that the tranny will have its own oil supply. Those are both attributes I have always liked about the R-bikes.
    Last edited by ANDYVH; 05-02-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Oooooooh, the elusive wet-head.

Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

No longer a member here
    Sorry for the confusion. The above picture shown as "front view" is actually the top view.
    The bottom view is this, here. Note that the intake is on top of the cylinders. not in the rear and the exhaust exits on the bottom.
    The rear view picture was cut off slightly by the scanner and the 90-degree bent tube on top is not shown.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post

The "rear view" certainly does not look right for a connection to a transmission or a flywheel. But what is also interesting, is the views to me indicate the transmission will still be a separate case from the engine. that indicates it will still be a dry clutch as on past R's, and that the tranny will have its own oil supply. Those are both attributes I have always liked about the R-bikes.
    The rear view to me looks to have lots of machined recesses for bearings, I expect this to be the front of the transmission case and a multiplate wet clutch.

It could also be for cam drive chains, counterbalancer, water/oil pump drive. etc. If that I hope it is the front view, so splitting engine from transmissionis not required to service these items.

Water cooled boxer

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzohr View Post
    Pictures of the Engine castings, Courtesy of MO BMW Motorr?ñder
    And yet another reason to start buying Moto Guzzi stock.They at least stick with traditional engine designs.

'Forgiven'
    I'm glad I bought new last year to carry me out a few more years and IMHO it doesn't get any better than this...W/ NO H2O... I'm not really interested in any H2O and whatever it brings with it.

..I side with the traditionalists..and yes maybe I'm getting a little old also; put my name on the air cooled side.
    Dana

God Bless America
    2011RT "Favor"of God

Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    And yet another reason to start buying Moto Guzzi stock.They at least stick with traditional engine designs.
    Don't buy Moto Guzzi stock, wait a few years and buy the whole company!
    It's an old joke that Moto Guzzi has been going out of business since 1920. But this summer I did go to see a V-7 or a Griso. I went to two different dealers, one had maybe 3 bikes in stock and the other had NONE. Neither had a current model year brochure. Sorry for the highjack.
    Back on topic, I for one am looking forward to water cooling. I have been in traffis a few times and thought my RT was going to overheat.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

I am excited about the prospect too.Love my R1150r, but would really like to see a 130+HP R1200rs soon, so I can buy one used before I'm too old to ride.

No longer a member here

New R Boxer

As we don't have a "Wasserkopf" section yet, I post this here:

More and more pictures surface of "close-to-production" look, new watercooled R bikes, leading to the speculation that BMW plans SOP soon. The 2012 Intermot will probably be the platform for the introduction to the public.
    Interesting feature seems the new transmission will cause the swinarm to move to the left.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    re: left side swing arm....that brings it 'in line' with the newer K's now, for manufacturing simplcity across platforms?
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

of course, we DO have this 10 page thread on it in this same section....
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52877
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots