Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Supplemental LED Brake Light 2011 R1200RT

stebun

Supplemental LED tailight install

Thanks rghensley for the detailed install directions for the LED tailight kit. I too have a 2011 R1200RT and also appreciated your added note about the non-drilling install method. During the install I discovered a multi pin connector thast was not hooked up to anything in the area under the lluggasge rack. Do you know what this connector is for?

Stebun
    Do you have tire pressure monitoring system, if not this could be the harness for it
    +1 on the SKENE P3 lights I have installed these on four bikes for friends, much brighter than the BMW lights and can be configured many different ways
    I also installed a BMW system on a 650gs, wiring system was good, light itself not water proof, needed to be sealed with silicone sealant

stebun

mystery connector

Thanks T6pilot, I do not have TPM and you are probably right as that and ASC are the only two options I don't have. I am pretty sure that TPM can't be added after build but I wish it could.

Quote Originally Posted by DocCarroll View Post
    There are already two holes in the rear fender. The top one lines up perfectly with the back of the BMW Supplementary LED Brake Light. The trick is: The larger end connector comes off of the brake light wires. BMW has a special tool to do this. We just used a straight paper clip. Then we inserted the wire through the already provided hole; reattached the large connector and connected it to the bike specific harness. I ran the harness wires up behind the fender, up in between the outer body and the inner cubby in the back of the bike. No cutting or drilling needed.
    I hope this makes sense.
    PM me if you need further directions.
    I can see that the three wires that lead to the larger connector at in a modular fitting but I cannot see wher you put the paperclip to remove it. There are 2 or 3 possibilities but I'm reluctant poke around too much. Don't want to ruin it!

There is also this option from Admore

It also provides turn signals and emergency flashers.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by stebun View Post
    Thanks rghensley for the detailed install directions for the LED tailight kit. I too have a 2011 R1200RT and also appreciated your added note about the non-drilling install method. During the install I discovered a multi pin connector thast was not hooked up to anything in the area under the lluggasge rack. Do you know what this connector is for?
    That is most likely your alarm connector. I would not use it as they run a PWM signal on the power lead.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Just to add another vote for the "non-drill" method.

Think it's a bad idea to expose the harness and particularly the connector to under-fender conditions. The connector is lots better protected between the license plate and the fender.

In addition such an installation could interfere with operation of the OE mudflap.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S