Thread: Oh no, another windscreen thread

Question Oh no, another windscreen thread

I know that we all have our favorite windscreens/farings.

While visiting with another BMWMOA member, my friend made the comment that his bike behaves so much better without the BMW factory touring shield on his R1100RL.

That started a conversation about aerodynamics which is something that I know very little about.

Does anyone know of a site that shows the air flows of different screens ala the current Xerox commercial which uses smoke blowing over and around a Ducati at just under the speed of light?

Come to think about it, doesn't the head and body of the rider affect the overall flow?

Any ultra-lite or biplane pilots out there?
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

I know a little bit about aerodynamics, but not enough to answer your questions.

Yesterday, I installed a CalSci screen on my R1200RT and was pleasantly surprised to find that the hole in the lower middle actually works! You can feel the wind come into the hole, but it doesn't hit your body. Rather, it flows up the inside of the screen and reconnects with the airflow on the outside. Then both airflows project several inches above the height of the screen to go over the helmet. Pretty cool stuff.

I suspect the hole also lowers frontal pressure on the screen so that stronger mounts may not be necessary.

Perhaps some of our aero engineers can explain the effect?

Lee

maybe this helps

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

See the heading of aerodynamics.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post

Thanks,

Makes sense.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee200; 04-27-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post

Thanks also for the link.
    I do wonder about where the rain goes on that company's shield at speed w/ those vent holes.
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"

Boxwrench

I sent you a PM.