Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GAS usage?

RODE IT yesterday:)

K1600GTL and a BIG Thumbs UP to Fresno BMW Dealer in their handing me the keys, "GO HAVE FUN" attitude, solo. Nope, no salesman leader, just me and the 1600, for 20 miles or so...My original question and topic, MPG's is answered a tad bit, but only 400 miles on this bike is no broke in motor either, I understand! The computer reads 40+ mpg's after my ride and many before me to the 400+ miles on this bike so far. I am sure ALL have been "ringing out" this new phenom, playing a lot with throttle and all, including me. SO, the 40mpg is a likely increase to middle 40s to perhaps even higher with normal use.? REPORT in 20 miles is a hard sell and I'll keep it kind a short. "Throttle by wire" is a very first impression and abnormal for all us cable folk to throttle! Very short transition to this however and all is well in a few miles. Not so much unlike my KLT1200(seating) in feel and clearly 100+lbs lighter, slightly more nimble at slow. I rode only freeway and city streets so twisty roads is another day. Shifting is noisy and a clear, click into every gear is obviously loud. Maybe my throttle by wire(very touchy feel),hand thing contributed to noisy gear box shifting? Fast, an understatement, with smooth 6 unlimited power band from 2000rpm up to launch speeds! Smooth, equal to the KLT1200LT(my 97000m KLT1200 ownership), I could not tell much difference, if any. Gadgets! A TON of learning them ALL, as the bike has been overdone in this department, my opinion. Clearly will take weeks to learn all this bike can do electronically speaking, with all its features. Summary; Very much so a road warrior with unlimited comfort, eating miles as you play with all the onboard toys this thing has. My only worry would be getting LOST in the dashboard as I ride, trying all the gadgets! I loved my long miles on the KLT1200 and this would be an extension of that, with much more pump in HP and perhaps much improved handling too. A wonderful experience in my short test ride of 20 miles and I still love my GSA1200 to much to move on as yet and not sure this day if I could ever go to the bigger bikes again...Happy Trails, Randy

Another K1600GTL MPG Data Point

Earlier I noted that Cycle World reported mileage of 38/35/37 (hi/lo/avg) in their test.

Today I read that Rider tested the K at 42.7/37.8/40.2 (hi/lo/avg).

Maybe we could agree that the average average is about 38.5???

Incidentally, I test rode this scoot and my normal concerns about mpg evaporated...nothing so practical mattered as I experienced bimmer/beemer "joy".

There is no comparison (performance or efficiency) to the K1200LT. So enjoy a sedate KLT 50 mpg or an exuberant KGTL of 38.5 mpg.
    Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans
    John Lennon - Double Fantasy
    Today: 00 K1200LTC, 01 330Cic, 02 HD FLHT, 99 Valkyrie
    Yesterday: 03 K1200GT 99 K1200LT 03 R1150RT 00 R1100RS 85 K100 74 R90/6 73 Kawi H1

mileage

I will take 38 mpg all day to have this wonderfull bike beneath me. Come one..... if your paying nearly 30k for a bike, are you really in need of fuel economy? sounds like yet another reason for someone who really doesnt want it to justify not getting it.

The majority of people who bash this bike were really never going to buy it anyway.

If you dont want it, dont buy it. If you buy it and complain about gas mileage....... youshouldnt of bought it.

Get real people. If you get better mileage on your lt, keep it. I had 2, the 2nd happiest day of my motorcyling life was watching frank ride my 02 k1200ltc down the road with the 14,700 dollars in my pocket. 3rd happiest day was when I traded the 96 R1100RT and 99 K1200ltc in on my 02 K1200LTC, and the happiest day of my motorcycling life will be when Royal Blue gets delivered in July.

If I want mileage, I will buy a vw golf diesel, or the new BMW scooter at 80mpg.
    Richard
    2012 GTL blue delievered 7/9/2011
    2003 fltri, 1972 A65 Thunderbolt

Breaking in my GT, I got a little less than 35 mpg. But that was racing through the canyons and over the passes. Even on the straight-aways, I'd accelerate and decelerate hard. If I can get 35 mpg treating it like that, 40 mpg should be no problem in normal use.

My RT ranged from 38 to 54 mpg. (Crossing Texas in April, I got 56, but I had a considerable tail wind.) I probably averaged 45 on the RT. The GT is like the RT only faster, more stable, easier to flick through the corners, more tractable, and easier to ride - fast or slow. 40 mpg for a bike like this is worth it to me.

- Kate
    '12 K1600 GT

What is it you intend to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I think many of us have been spoiled by the fuel mileage many of our BMWs get. A lot of the big cruisers and tourers from other brands get in the high 20s and low 30s with far less performance.

If we measured performance per gallon rather than miles per gallon, the K1600 may be the most efficient bike we can buy.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Smile

I came across this comment on another thread regarding "real world" mpg.

"Most of my back roads cruising was at 3000 rpm, regardless of my speed. I averaged about 4.7 liters / 100 km, that's around 60 miles per Imperial gallon. Riding around 55 to 60 mph, the bike has a range of well over 500 km. "

Revisit the KLT1200;

The KLT1200s are NO slouch with 100 to 115HP(year specific) and clearly the 1600 has the HP advantage, just not much else,imo. The riding comfort level is the exact same between these two bikes, as I rode it. The 100lb diet is always welcome between the two. If anybody thinks the 100 item menu on the rider display, functions the new 1600 has is a danger to rider awareness of the road ahead, they would be right! Kind a like Texting,GPS'in or any other distraction from the road. I owned the bigger KLT1200 for 5+years and nearly100000miles and have a good comparison under my belt. I love the passion of any new model release on the public. This new one has me worried with its high tech, gadget driven bells and whistles, overblown tech at its finest. Just an opinion from one very experienced, very high miler here. Looks, the 1600 has it and sounds really neat running, kinda like a Porsche engine. Give me the GT model, with less electric toys, perhaps...Randy

Really? Potential buyers are considering NOT to buy this bike for a 6-10 MPG deficit? While that's probably not accurate after break-in, I'm surprised no one has bitched about 91 octane....sheesh

Yankee Air Pirate
    Look 6 posts up... . 35 mpg riding it hard, 40 mpg easy to get with normal use.

What do you get on the B1 Chris, about 100 yards per gallon?

As for gas mileage on big bikes, I think this is probably not a major consideration for a prospective buyer. He/she has figured out their requirements, and that a big machine fills it. To get reasonable range, that machine is going to have to carry more fuel, which means more weight, but the buyer has already accepted that compromise.

From reading the gas mileage figures for BMW's new bike, it sounds like they have beaten the laws of physics a bit, perhaps from advances in combustion efficiency, and from aerodynamic detailing of the fairing.
    Last edited by rinty; 06-05-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I filled up for the first time yesterday -- almost exactly 40 mpg (a hair over). That's significantly better than my K12LT's did on the first break-in tank, and that includes quite a bit of 65-75 mph highway, and a lot of Wash., DC traffic crawling. Looks pretty promising for the long term to me.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

My last fillup was 45 mpg. That tank included plenty of thrashing, high speed cruising, and stop-and-go traffic. However, I don't think the figure from one tank is a good metric. I'm planning a several-day trip in a couple of weeks. I'll post the average after that.

- Kate
    '12 K1600 GT

Yankee Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    What do you get on the B1 Chris, about 100 yards per gallon?
    One day i was flying as 'red air' pretending to be an incoming bomber, and had an F-22 chasing me down low.... my fuel flow was 369,000lbs per hour.... for those of you who want the quick math, JP-8 is about 6.8 lbs per gallon.. this means I was burning about 15 gallons a second. Of course at about 650 knots true airspeed I was going a mile every 7 seconds or so... we dont fly that fast all the time, but when we do its a kick in the pants both literally and figuratively.

By the way the way, I was outpacing the F-22 but still had more throttle available.. the problem was we werent allowed to go supersonic below 5000ft agl (we were about 300 ft agl at the time), so I pulled it back a little to stay below the mach... the F-22 catches me and calls a kill.... In the debrief it turns out he is a friend of mine I have known for some time... I ask how fast he was going and he say mach 1.4. When the time comes in the debrief to brief his shots against me, they are invalidated because he was violating the airspace rule and I wasnt. Even in the air at near supersonic speeds, there are still speed limits

Sorry for the thread hijack!

I've got 1,000 miles on my GT now. Since break-in, I've gotten just over 45 mpg. That's city, highway, and mountain riding. It's about the same as I got on my R1200 RT.

- Kate
    '12 K1600 GT

SilverSurfer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabird View Post
    I've got 1,000 miles on my GT now. Since break-in, I've gotten just over 45 mpg. That's city, highway, and mountain riding. It's about the same as I got on my R1200 RT.

- Kate

That is very respectable overall mileage for that size bike. I used to get about 45 with my old 85 Honda Magna 700, and this is twice the size plus. I get 47-50 going the 8 miles back and forth to work on my 04' R1150RT, and I got 49-54 on a recent long trip. I think it picks up mileage as I get farther into each tank and the bike fully warms up. Even going down the E-way I get about 43-45, and that's running about 75-80 constantly. So the 1600 getting 45+ is great!