Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GAS usage?

GAS usage?

Has any info been heard about this new 1600 mpg's???If BMW has intro'd another gas pig, I'll be way disappointed. My KLT1200 got 45-50mpg's almost always, which was very good for such a monster 800lbs scooter. I hope the new 6 cylinder beast gets 50+, or I have no interest in it. For crying out loud, many cars today are getting over 40, so I expect my beloved beemers to do better too. My current GSA1200 is the pig of pigs(love the bike otherwise), regarding gas so I'm looking to do better. Randy

Getting lost...
    I can't locate the reference at the moment but they are supposed to be comparable to the K1200/1300's.

Found it -

Low engine speed level, high gas velocities, efficient combustion and minimised
    frictional loss in the engine of the BMW K 1600 GT and BMW K 1600 GTL result in a
    high degree of efficiency and therefore a low level of fuel consumption. In view of its
    power potential, the engine achieves top figures in this area, equivalent to the level of a
    comparable 4-cylinder motorcycle when a touring-oriented riding style is maintained.
    For example at a constant speed of 56 mph, a fuel consumption level is achieved of
    over 52mpg (K 1600 GT). This is largely due to the high geometrical compactness and
    the specific orientation of the in-line 6-cylinder engine towards maximum efficiency.

Fuel consumption

GT GTL
    56mph 52 51
    75mph 41 40
    Last edited by Motorwerk; 04-27-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added BMW media reference.

Thx:)

Thanks for the article on this. I am confused to WHY BMW has got to go 6 holes, when the trends in the field are going the other way and 4 holes make the same power? I like the engine however, even not seen it in person and the bike sure looks sweet in pictures. Triumph makes the 2300cc three hole'r and the Wings are the only other 6 piston bikes out there I know? Its a tiny piece of the market, having a 6 piston bike, imo and we'll see how long it lives. Gas mpg's would be a HUGE selling point IF it did well in that department, not the HP thing! BMW may have that decades old(Japanese race), bigger is better thing, more HP is even moreso and it could be fatal, or certainly growing way old, imo. ITS probably just me getting older, Yep. Randy

Getting lost...
    More from the same media info may help to explain-

For decades, 6-cylinder in-line engines have exercised a special fascination. In addition
    to their perfect running smoothness they also offer supreme output and torque, giving
    the rider powerful emotional impressions.

ÔÇó Supreme in-line 6-cylinder engine with a high level of pulling power, especially in the lower and medium engine speed range.
    ÔÇó Engine output 118 kW (160 bhp) at 7,750rpm and maximum torque 175 Nm (129Lb. ft.) at 5,250 rpm.
    ÔÇó Over 70 per cent of the maximum torque is already available from 1,500 rpm.

The last point may be the biggest benefit of going with a 6 plus there's the emotional factor.

It's smoother than any motorcycle motor I've ever ridden. It's eerie how smooth it is.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
    It's smoother than any motorcycle motor I've ever ridden. It's eerie how smooth it is.
    +1 It's physics -- you just can't ever get an in-line 4 to run as smooth as an in-line 6 (at least not without *several* counter-balancers).

There's a reason the BMW and Mercedes in-line 6's are famous as wonderful motors.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

K1600gtl mpg

Randy-

Cycle World has a glowing feature article in the June issue. The new scoot was highly impressive.

Their test mpg numbers were 38/35/37 (hi/lo/avg).

Like you, I get consistent 45-50 on my K1200LT.

Steve
    Life is what happens to you while you're making other plans
    John Lennon - Double Fantasy
    Today: 00 K1200LTC, 01 330Cic, 02 HD FLHT, 99 Valkyrie
    Yesterday: 03 K1200GT 99 K1200LT 03 R1150RT 00 R1100RS 85 K100 74 R90/6 73 Kawi H1

Danimal
    I've gotten consistently 45 - 50 mpg on my K12GT. Talked to the owner of Ride West today after riding the K16 back from Denver. 50mpg + at very peppy speeds. I have also heard that the mileage would match the K12's and K13's. And my goodness, the smoothness of a BMW 6 can't be beat.

smooth

the bike is hockey rink ice smooth, all thru the rpm range. not as cushy comfy as the lt, but moreso smoooooothhh comfy. I found it far more comfortable to ride then the lt. not top heavy, not wide legged, more agile, and SMOOTH. did i say smooth? and corners, omg, corners, corners, corners.... I thought the lt was the best bike i had ever ridden till now.... NOTHING COMPARES

i believe I could put a rubber bottomed coffee mug on the gas tank and it wouldnt vibrate off all day, of course id throw it off in the turns Cuz footpegs are lean detectors
    Richard
    2012 GTL blue delievered 7/9/2011
    2003 fltri, 1972 A65 Thunderbolt

I just don't know?

I always thought my new BMW twin was smooth enough and is clearly not a good compare to the "new" 6 smooth! Now, what is better? A nice feeling, very livable bike/engine under you, or a no buzz at all engine with great handling, as most beemers of recent and horrible gas mileage? My current GSA1200 gas mpg thing has been my biggest gripe of recent and the bike can simply "never be beat" in handling, imo.. The magazine reports above at high 37-38mpg's for the new 6 hole beemer is a joke, if true...I simply don't care how cool it may be in looks and smooth and I LIKE all that, but the engineers have fallen OFF their rock if they don't get the mpg factor figured out soon!!! Define smooth? My bikes should always have some feel under me, in the "engine" dept., or it gets away from the bike phenom all together...I hope the twin always lives and my eyes too, watch the new beemer roll out with gusto. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    .... The magazine reports above at high 37-38mpg's for the new 6 hole beemer is a joke, if true...I simply don't care how cool it may be in looks and smooth and I LIKE all that, but the engineers have fallen OFF their rock if they don't get the mpg factor figured out soon!!!
    If a cross section of average, real world riders end up getting 36-38 mpg I won't consider one either. Keep in mind though that magazine testers are notorious for wringing out motorcycles.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Not to hijack the topic, because I to am interested in the 1600 for something ride around the country with my wife. But I really do like the boxer motor in my GSA. Since it , at least I believe, is remotely based originally upon the radial design of an airplane engine, (just had a few opposing cylinders lobbed off), it seems to remind me of an airplane engine when running along about 4,000 rpm. It is actually quite soothing to me.

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced the same thing?

Now back to the thread all ready in progress.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Yankee Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I simply don't care how cool it may be in looks and smooth and I LIKE all that, but the engineers have fallen OFF their rock if they don't get the mpg factor figured out soon!!!
    This is where you and lots of other people will disagree. The K1600 is set out to be BMWs superlative bike. In order to be best in class for a number of features, which seem to be tech, ride comfort, power, and touring capability, they are going be less than the best at some things... one of which is fuel efficiency.

I for one don't care at all about the the fuel efficiency of a high performance luxury motorcycle. The numbers given are only about a 10% reduction from what I get on my RT, and about 15% reduction from what I got on a much, smaller, lighter, underpowered 3 cylinder K75. To me, it is just stunning what they did with a 6 cylinder engine.

I love my 2 cylinder R just like you do, but to be honest the feel of the boxer engine creates an emotional response because of its visceral nature, but is not necessarily the most efficient ride. The K bikes are so smooth it feels creepy those who have never ridden one... after some long rides on the R, I yearn for another K bike.

If the price of gas or the efficiency of the engine is your priority, I think the new BMW scooter will be out soon, and I am sure it will get 80 MPG+

The gas mileage numbers shouldn't surprise anyone. My old goldwings always got worse mileage than the Civic!
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

I can't believe the amount of hand-wringing and kevetching going on in this thread over fuel mileage -- over a bike that no one has any real-world daily US riding experience with! *Especially* a bike for which BMW has been chest-thumping about how surprisingly *good* the mpg is for a 1649cc motor!

Come on, guys/gals -- let's give this one a rest until there's a *real* reason to b*tch & moan. The last few posts seem to be taking it as a given that the mileage *is* lousy, despite BMW's PR and in the absence of any contrary evidence! (the magazine test mileage is *not* a datapoint -- those guys apply two throttle positions: WOT and OFF; nothing real-world there).
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA