Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Auxilliary Driving Lights on a F800St?

Question Auxilliary Driving Lights on a F800St?

Is there any place to mount Aux Lights if I wanted to on an ST? I am a safety nut and I like the idea of more than one headlight mostly for other drivers to see me.

Also, is there an auxiliary 12v outlet somewhere on this bike? The BMW website doesn't really give a lot of info or I am just confused by there set up of information on their site.

Thanks! It's Easter but I feel like it's Christmas for me. I couldn't sleep last night after I called the dealer and told him I would buy the bike!
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

You may find more information on the lights on www.f800riders.org. Several options to mount lights. I am still debating on the location to mount some extra lights myself; Base of the mirrors, forks/brake caliper, or under the head light.

The auxiliary socket is located on the right side.

2012 R1200 GS Adventure

That bike is a bit alternator anemic. Voni's F800S - at highway speed - will permit the use of any two of the following three: heated grips. Motolights, electric jacket liner. But all three at once discharges the battery even at sustained highway speed.

I switched the Motolights to LED MR16 bulbs and the alternator will now allow lights and comfort.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thanks Paul

When I referred to adding aux lights I did mean LED's. I have a nice pair on myR1100r and I think they only draw 1.5 amps each but they have 3 nice bright LED's in them.

Here's a photo of those. I got them from a guy in the Forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PattiB; 04-27-2011 at 01:23 AM.
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

one more

here's them on
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

I have halogen motolights mounted with the brake caliper bolts on my ST. It's a good thing I didn't know about the anemic alternator a couple of weeks ago when I was riding in Arkansas with Gerbing's liner, motolights, and heated grips all turned on. I had absolutely no starting problems but it was a relatively balmy 38-40 degrees.

Hope you like the new bike!
    Dave
    '92 K75S, '08 F800ST
    Cedar Falls, IA

Thanks Dave

I love the new bike but I have one other question. I usually keep my R1100r plugged in with a Deltran Battery tender if not riding it for a while otherwise the ABS would not activate after starting. That bike does not have Can-Bus.

Can I still use a battery tender on the F800st with Can-Bus?

Thanks!

Pictures are coming soon! I promise!

Patti
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by rx35285 View Post
    I have halogen motolights mounted with the brake caliper bolts on my ST. It's a good thing I didn't know about the anemic alternator a couple of weeks ago when I was riding in Arkansas with Gerbing's liner, motolights, and heated grips all turned on. I had absolutely no starting problems but it was a relatively balmy 38-40 degrees.

Hope you like the new bike!
    The discharge is not fast, but with her grips on high, 90W of Gerbing, and 110W (2x55) of Motolights Voni's ran the battery down after a morning riding in New Mexico. It did it one other time too. After 250 miles we stopped for gas and the voltage was low enough the system said - nothing. Press starter and it just sat there and didn't even try. With 265 or so watts of auxiliary devices the remaining 135w didn't keep up with house loads. The charging system checks OK.

Maybe with 35w MR16 bulbs instead of the 55w we were using the extra 40w would have allowed it to keep up. But I opted to go to 6 watts of Motolight LEDs just to be sure.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PattiB View Post
    Can I still use a battery tender on the F800st with Can-Bus?

Patti
    Depends. If you have direct leads to the battery then you can use one that is appropriate for the battery type. Then there is the fancy shmancy BMW version that works from the auxiliary socket but is quite pricey.

I have direct leads running to the battery but rarely have I put the bike on a tender as it's my daily rider (no car for 5+ years now). But it does work.

Also keep in mind the BMW stock batteries have a habit of dying on you suddenly. Mine did after a year and a half. Replaced under warranty with the same brand; Excide. The new battery only came with one year warranty vs. 2 years for the original. I am about to replace that one with a Yuasa just to be safe.
    2012 R1200 GS Adventure

Very Helpful!

Thanks, this explains a lot I needed to know. On my R, I plug the battery tender into the BMW socket to charge the battery, but based on what you are saying, I can't do this on the F800. I do know what you mean by attaching a plug to the battery leads then plug into that. Is the socket on the F800 different or is it the usual BMW sized plug? Glad I asked all this before I tried something stupid.
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

The socket on the F800 is the same as any other late model BMW. The difference is that it's tied into the CANBUS. The socket is switched off after a while and only the BMW charger (the one that costs like $165.00) can communicate with it. Plugging a non CANBUS aware charger into the socket on the CANBUS bikes would more than likely fry the ZFE computer (I think that is the one that manages accessories stuff)

You could also wire a second BMW socket directly to the battery and use the charger that you have if it works for the battery type.

By the way (and sorry to hijack the thread) how happy are you with the LED lights on the RR. I have the same ones in mind for the F800. Are they on a simple on/off switch or a dimmer? Have been wondering if they throw sufficient light to drive on. I am about to replace the low beam with HID to get better light and save a few watts. Then add these LEDs if they are as good as some claim.
    2012 R1200 GS Adventure

Lots of Light

I can't find the link on the BMWMOA for these lights but I bought them from a guy on the club site. They are more than bright. They are probably not DOT approved but how many cops have time to look at your bikes lights to find that tiny DOT stamp on the lens?

I just have them wired to my aux fuse block. Key on, they are on all the time. No switch. This was the simplest way to do it and I opted for that.
    These lights have 3LEDs in each housing similar to the Clearwater Lights.
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

Awesome. Thank you. I found the lights on http://www.advmonster.com
    2012 R1200 GS Adventure

Thanks!

Thanks for posting that link! I couldn't remember where I saw them! Thank you!
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST

A few more ?'s

This may sound really stupid, but where is the battery on this bike? I looked under the seat and didn't see anything that resembles a battery.

Also, if I do get the Photon Blasters for aux front and rear lights, where do I tie them into since this has CAN BUS? I knew how to wire LED's in my old R1100r but this is different, right?

Thanks for all the help. Here is a photo though it's not in some scenic park, just in my back yard.
    Patti B

'00 R1100R
    '08 F800ST