Thread: Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Advice

Question Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Advice

I'm heading back to Boston and am considering a route using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Any advice from anyone about hazards, problems, etc.?

TIA - John Gamel
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I took that road in a cage in a snowstorm 40 years ago -- would not recommend it under those conditions. Other than that, wind is prolly the only potential problem.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

summer traffic bad

Summer traffic through the Delmarva, especially Fridays/weekends is bad. Midweek and off-season is probably quite a bit better.

I went across it last summer. There were no issues, and I appreciated the drop in temperature on a very hot day.

Harry

Thanks for all for the replies. I made the trip north today from Virginia Beach across the bridge-tunnel complex. No wind over the road, so it was a calm, over-the-ocean ride for 20 miles. Two tunnels were each one mile in length and both lanes (north and south) share these tunnels. All drivers were very polite and kept very good lane & speed discipline.

When I left VA Beach, my RT's ambient temperature readout said 86F. Inside the tunnels it dropped to 77F, and as I approached the northern end of the bridge, it was down to 71F. Once on land, it was back in the eighties again. Nice to be cool for a while, anyway.

I imagine it might be more crowded in the summer, but on April 25, 2011 at Noon...all was good!
    John Gamel
    2008 Kalahari Beige R1200RT
    LEOSA Certified

I misspent my youth in Virginia Beach and lived there when the bridge was built. In the early years they would hire people (teenagers primarily) to stand along the catwalks in the tunnels so people would not panic. Guess the thought was that seeing another human would cause people to forget they were under water. I never did it myself, but had a friend who did it one summer. He said they had to spell people every hour or so because they would become ill from the fumes. Of course many of them used the break to have a cigarette. Different times indeed.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Just ride it. NO worries, even with wind unless a front is moving thru. Have done it 7 or the last 8 years in our truck with slide-in camper attached. No problems.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    Just ride it. NO worries, even with wind unless a front is moving thru. Have done it 7 or the last 8 years in our truck with slide-in camper attached. No problems.
    Watch for the Bridge/Tunnel police at the emergency turn offs..that's their favorite places to hide when running RADAR