Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New R1200RT- discolored exhaust pipe

BigEasy
    My ahem "nature" would not allow my R12R pipes to discolor and have to be repeatedly cleaned. So I had mine ceramic coated by a company now owned by JetHot Coatings

Much more pleasing to my eye, and it saves a bunch of time recleaning the things. Cost was sub $300.00 including round trip shipping. I have since found a coater in Indianapolis that does it so when I do the new Buell this winter I'll just drop them off.

Quote Originally Posted by rich223vt View Post
    The chrome turns blue. I have chrome pipes.
    They is nize.

Never understood why there aren't chrome pipe covers like what use to be available on airheads and what Harley's still uses today. They were/are held on by radiator hose type clamps. Think these type covers would work well for those bothered by the BMW pipe Blues.
    '14 R1200RT

My 06 RT pipes have turned purple!!
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    My 06 RT pipes have turned purple!!
    Man - that's a sign of royalty!

Better go to Geneology.com and check out your lineage.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

I'll ride anything scooter trash's Avatar

2011 R1200RT Ceramic Coated Exhaust Pipes

First things first. If you like, gold, brown, blue pipes this is not for you.
    Move along there is nothing here for you to see.

However, if you do not like gold, brown, blue pipes there is an alternative
    to buying chrome pipes that will turn blue at the cylinders.
    I have just had my pipes ceramic coated by Nitroplating, Nashville, TN. They
    look great and will not turn gold, brown or blue.

I do not work for nor am I in association with anyone at Nitroplate I just hate
    gold, brown, blue pipes. It cost $135.00 plus shipping each way.

Remember, ÔÇ£Beauty is in the eye of the BeholderÔÇØ. I happen to think that gold, brown, blue pipes are not very pretty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1996 Harley Springer, 2011 R1200RT
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it?s best not to stir it.

Heat recoloring of BMW exhaust pipes has been a "badge of courage" for decades.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Heat recoloring of BMW exhaust pipes has been a "badge of courage" for decades.
    Maybe some of us do not want badges and prefer good-looking bikes.

Ceramic coatings will work though I note no one has yet showed a high mileage bike to prove durability.
    Skill of the shop doing the work matters- especially decent prep.

Nothing wrong with the std BMW pipe look that most of us have- it eventually becomes a fairly uniforn deep blue/purple or brown depending on whether you have chrome or stainless. Heck, the J-brand guys and some Ducs copy it- look at the recent sport bikes from those guys...

I stopped worrying about discolored pipes after my Triumph Thruxton, at this point I don't give them a second thought. When I had Harleys I wanted them shiney and looking new and boy did they shine. I guess I never thought of a BMW as a bike that the look of the exhaust really mattered. I think it's cool folks can do something about it though.

FWIW, I love my RT because there is no chrome or other stuff to polish. Been there, got that T-shirt from the U.S. Army. I NEVER want to polish anything again, ever.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

This is pretty much what I expected when I posted about Nitroplate.
    Everyone talking about the great ÔÇ£BROWN PIPEÔÇØ and lambasting change.

For your information:

Item #1 Nitroplate Warranty:
    Our warranty is very simple and straightforward. As a retail customer, if you are unhappy with one of our high performance coatings within 3 years of original purchase date, Nitroplate will recoat your part at no charge. You simply pay for shipping and we take care of the rest.
    Simply put, whether you choose NitroPlate Bright, or one of our other finishes, we promise you will be impressed. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied, give us a call. You will not get the run around. We will gladly do what it takes to take care of the problem.

Item #2 Their Customers.
    a. They are subcontracted by Ford to use their bright finish on FordÔÇÖs diesel truck exhaust tips.
    b. Dragsters, NASCAR, checkout their web site. http://nitroplate.com/

But why bother, you are happy with brown and my comments were for those of us that think brown pipes look like something else that is brown.
    I apologize for coming to the conclusion that this forum was for the exchanging of ideas and the passing on of new ideas and products.

I will stay on the Word Association Thread from now on.

The pipes on my 2012 RT are deep blue and the pipes on my 2011 GS are a light golden brown. I'd expect the pipes on these two bikes to look the same since they have the same engine. Is it possible that the GS pipes are stainless, not chrome?
    Dover, NH

2011 BMW R1200GS
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Green Bay, WI, west side about 1.5 miles from Lambeau.
    Far as I know, ALL header pipes on all Oilheads, Hexheads, Camheads have always been stainless steel. Some models offered chromed stainless steel, but all the header pipe are stainless steel to begin with. The plain stainless discolor to a more brownish color, the chromed stainless discolor to a blueish hue (which, actually, I like).

My 76 R100RS still has the original chromed header pipes and mufflers. The headers have that distinctive blueish hue showing under the stainless steel heat guards, and I always liked it for the reference of it being a bike that is actually ridden.

With a little diligent cleaning and rub-down with Nevrdull wadding, I've been able to keep the headers on my 94RS looking like this at 170K miles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Woodenshoe to Cheesehead

Quote Originally Posted by scooter trash View Post
    I apologize for coming to the conclusion that this forum was for the exchanging of ideas and the passing on of new ideas and products.
    Here's an idea for exchange ...

I have a friend who once explored becoming service manager (service, not parts) for the local Harley dealer. He was told he'd be working partially on commission based on the amount of "chrome" he sold to service customers to be installed in conjunction with service work.

This is NOT the BMW culture.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S