Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Staying Connected

  1. #1
    Kbiker BCKRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    761

    Staying Connected

    I always wonder when I read these posts about electronics. I mean, the best system for communication with a passenger or another bike, the best GPS, the best hands-free cell phone, the best radio vs various audio players, not to mention radar detectors, and how to integrate them all.

    Not for me. I insert my earplugs, pull on my helmet (and that other ATGATT stuff) and ride. I usually forget to take the cell phone too, because I still hardly know how to use it.

    Yeah, I'm a neadothal. But all of my attention is on the ride, when I can quiet the voices in my head. Experiencing the ride fully - the bike response, the scenery, is what I seek. And that is enough, for me.

    If you are into these electronics, I"m just asking you to consider whether they are really increasing your pleasure or your safety on the bike.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

  2. #2
    TravelsWithBarley.com
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stowe, Vermont
    Posts
    1,027
    I use a Scala Q2 when riding with my usual buddy. I got it so we could communicate simple things like "Need gas" because my middle aged vision wasn't picking up the usual hand signals.

    What we both found, however, was that the ability to communicate between bikes added a strong safety element. When riding behind my buddy I've been able to warn him about merging traffic before he's aware of it. Whoever's in front can give details of debris in the road instead of the traditional toe point. The first to pass slower traffic can inform the second rider when it's safe for him to pass, etc.

    So in answer to your question, yes, communication has greatly increased my safety when riding in pairs.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

  3. #3
    Back in the Saddle mcmxcivrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,765
    In addition to the ability to communicate warnings through our Autocoms with GMRS radios, I find having my Zumo's voice prompts a big help when navigating in unfamiliar places. The GPS is fantastic for guiding me through those busy places, having the audio in my helmet allows me to focus on riding the bike and not having to constantly watch the screen or a map to know where the correct turnoff is or which lane to be in. The Zumo prompts me sufficiently far ahead of a turn that I can be ready for it when I approach it. This reduces the need to make sudden lane changes or last minute decisions in traffic; with two bikes, that's an even greater issue.

    The ability to have music when riding is just a bonus, though I rarely have it on in unfamiliar heavy traffic areas. I do use it around home in the city, but I all ready know the roads and the traffic patterns here. I don't use my cell phone at all on the bike - or while driving any vehicle for that matter, that's just unneccessary and unsafe in my book.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

  4. #4
    Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Old Country
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    And that is enough, for me.
    That sums it up, doesn't it? Everyone has another goal with a bike ride and has his/her own way of doing things 'right'. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

    There are people who feel that riding a minimalistic bike is the ultimate, another person 'needs' a GoldWing to get the kick. Same goes for all the gizmo's. I like my GPS for touring so that I don't have to look on a map or roadbook everytime. That way I have more time to enjoy my ride. I experimented with music, but I don't really like that. Just the voice in my head once in a while to indicate a turn is enough.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

  5. #5
    Yankee Air Pirate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    If you are into these electronics, I"m just asking you to consider whether they are really increasing your pleasure or your safety on the bike.
    Yes, they are.

    Since you started this post and asked us to consider, let me propose something else for you to consider.


    My use of electronics on a bike in no way impacts any aspect of your life -- why does it matter to you what I do on the bike?

    My mother doesnt think motorcycles are safe at all... yet she doesnt come on here trying to 'get us to consider' not riding. Why are you trying to do the same in regards to technology use to your fellow members?

  6. #6
    Prefers to play martinph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Armstrong, BC
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by B1Pilot View Post
    Yes, they are.

    Since you started this post and asked us to consider, let me propose something else for you to consider.


    My use of electronics on a bike in no way impacts any aspect of your life -- why does it matter to you what I do on the bike?

    My mother doesnt think motorcycles are safe at all... yet she doesnt come on here trying to 'get us to consider' not riding. Why are you trying to do the same in regards to technology use to your fellow members?
    He asked a simple question, no need to get bent out of shape over it!
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

  7. #7
    Yankee Air Pirate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    197
    I know, and I was with it all the way to the end... I am all about people sharing their experiences. I understand that some ride without anything to stay connected -- I ride that way at times too -- and I can appreciate this point of view.

    But I draw the line when asked to consider changing my way when people freely admitting they dont understand mine.

    I apologize if my first response was a bit forward

  8. #8
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730
    I am humbled by my fellow riders yet not convinced about the electronic offerings available in the motorcycle world. With the amount of time I spend on my bike while using such items I can not justify the price point. I just don't see myself using them going coast to coast on the long and lonely. Even with my car I forget I have a sirius radio, a CD and MP3 player.

    There is only one safety feature that I want BMW to install and that is a kick starter.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  9. #9
    Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Old Country
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by B1Pilot View Post
    My mother doesnt think motorcycles are safe at all...
    What a relief...I am not alone...
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

  10. #10
    Benchwrenching PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    8,780
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    I always wonder when I read these posts about electronics. I mean, the best system for communication with a passenger or another bike, the best GPS, the best hands-free cell phone, the best radio vs various audio players, not to mention radar detectors, and how to integrate them all.

    Not for me. I insert my earplugs, pull on my helmet (and that other ATGATT stuff) and ride. I usually forget to take the cell phone too, because I still hardly know how to use it.

    Yeah, I'm a neadothal. But all of my attention is on the ride, when I can quiet the voices in my head. Experiencing the ride fully - the bike response, the scenery, is what I seek. And that is enough, for me.

    If you are into these electronics, I"m just asking you to consider whether they are really increasing your pleasure or your safety on the bike.
    OK, so you leave today (tomorrow actually) as a couple on two bikes, expecting to return to your house about the middle of September. Expect to ride somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles between now and then. Expect to probably ride in 30 or so states and two or three Canadian provinces, sometimes in unfamiliar territory, in whatever severe or unpleasant weather you can't avoid. Expect to need to visit a dealer or two, get a couple changes of tires, and spend most of your time camping.

    Now what are you taking along?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

  11. #11
    High & Dry statdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In the Endless Mountains
    Posts
    2,730

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    OK, so you leave today (tomorrow actually) as a couple on two bikes, expecting to return to your house about the middle of September. Expect to ride somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles between now and then. Expect to probably ride in 30 or so states and two or three Canadian provinces, sometimes in unfamiliar territory, in whatever severe or unpleasant weather you can't avoid. Expect to need to visit a dealer or two, get a couple changes of tires, and spend most of your time camping.

    Now what are you taking along?
    I am S.O.L. because there is only one Voni.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

  12. #12
    Motorradfahrer
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    490
    I used to smoke and drink and now I ride while listening to music. Whatever keeps the voices at bay for you works for me. Live and let live.

  13. #13
    Quanto12
    Guest
    I like electronic gagets!!But i like to keep it simple too!!I do have communicators for when the girlfriend is on the bike, and I have installed extra DC outlets to be able to charge some electronics.Do I need them? No,but I 'll buy it anyways because i'm curious!! It's when I go riding that I realise how NOT important they are for me to enjoy the ride! I find it more fun to stop and ask for info and be able to meet new people this way, I think it's great that the technology is there to make it safer or make you feel safer(if used properly)But do I think it's a necesity,absolutly not!!!

  14. #14
    rocketman
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    OK, so you leave today (tomorrow actually) as a couple on two bikes, expecting to return to your house about the middle of September. Expect to ride somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles between now and then. Expect to probably ride in 30 or so states and two or three Canadian provinces, sometimes in unfamiliar territory, in whatever severe or unpleasant weather you can't avoid. Expect to need to visit a dealer or two, get a couple changes of tires, and spend most of your time camping.

    Now what are you taking along?
    clean undies and lots of Tee-pee ( I hear there is a shortage in the northern provinces). Am I missing something?

    Oh, yeah, my motorcycle! Anything else is a luxury item....



    RM

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    2,127
    For me it all depends on what I'm doing. The more I use a gps, the less I want to hear it in my helmet but when riding with a regular partner, the headset coms are helpful for safety and basics- wwe don't generally engage in aimless chatter because we're too busy riding..These days I rarely connect so I can make phone calls while riding though my IPhone/Zumo setup makes it easy- mostly I don't want to be pestered by incoming and I can pull over for a couple if I need to make one- besides cell signals are often crap or non existent in good riding areas especially if you're still on AT&T (definitely not recommended if you frequent rural areas). My netbook is in the sidecase to serve as e-mail device and diagnostic tool/shop manual reference on longer runs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •