Thread: Alternative Camping Spots

Alternative Camping Spots

Does anyone have a suggestion for alternative campgrounds close to the rally site?

What, and miss all the fun? Camping at the rally site is one of the things I like most.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Talking

Given the projected attendance, perhaps Ohio?!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Given the projected attendance, perhaps Ohio?!
    What is the projected attendance?
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    2013 GL1800 Goldwing
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by 2BikeMike View Post
    What is the projected attendance?
    I think 10,000, but you have to factor in the price of gas, economic factors and the record rainfall this spring. If it continues to rain then it may look like another Charleston WV or Johnson City ........ a damp rally ! Two years ago it rained four days a week, last year we had a drought, this year its rain again. We could use a drought till after the rally.

I know there is a big local interest with people just coming to see what we are about and they don't care what registration costs. They may just come for the entertainment, others want access to our vendors. Plus the great food etc etc etc.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by brprider679 View Post
    Does anyone have a suggestion for alternative campgrounds close to the rally site?
    If you do not wish to camp within the grounds you could pitch a tent on the massive grass parking lot south of the main gate. But be mindful of military encampments.

If you want to be south of the rally and along the river there is this one. But the weekend before it will be used heavily by the Monster Truck fans. http://www.indianheadcampground.com/

If you wish to be west near the mountains there are these.

http://deihlscampingresortinc.com/ this one may have families camping but the view is nice and its close to the rally.

http://redrockcampground.com/ this one was once a church camp, with clean small cabins, nice private tent spaces. This has a great location because you are close to a general store, resturants on Rt 118, Jamison City, Elk Grove, and you are close to Ricketts Glen State Park. There are six ways to the rally from this site.

Ricketts Glen State Park is very nice, the tent sites are along a lake, there is a sandy beach, the restroooms are new and the air is cooler.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...kettsglen.aspx

Southeast of the rally site...... this one is close to family entertainment centers such as golf courses, and a amusement park. Great access to some nice twisty roads.
    http://jdcampground.com/
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Don't know what your plans are ahead of or during the rally, but if you're planning on joining the GS Giant Gypsy Tour, the Whispering Pines Campground will be your home on the last night of the ride.

HOWEVER... you don't have to be on the Gypsy Tour, or even a GS Giant competitor to camp here, should you be looking for a place to stay near Bloomsburg.

The GS Giants will be showing up on Tuesday PM, July 19th, but before and after that it's clean and green. just don't hog up all GS Giant's space....

Here is a peek at the facilities:

Nice shady camping on flat, soft grass.

Pretty darn nice facilities.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Volunteer too, camp early:)

We have allowed very early camping for those workerbee's in many past rallies including Redmond last year. Camping at the rally is usually open on Monday or Tuesday for volunteers only and Chairpeople to organize all needed done. Check with whoever is Boss and a likely answer here soon from this post? JUST don't camp at the rally early and disappear, as "real volunteers" are always needed with gusto. Its always a great time doing the early rally prep work and many good friends made and times had. Your payoff is camp early. Randy

I'll be setting up tent near Airhead Central. the Black Diamond Beemers are going to have there tent there as well. Just got done with the Tent Float and can't wiat for the National.
    I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return. Please ask me to wait.
    Any tool if used improperly can be used as a hammer.

Volunteers are welcome to camp early, but just be aware that all amenities...such as shower trailers, food vendors, porta-potties, etc.... may not be fully operational and in place for early campers.
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel