Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Made the leap of faith today - A new 2011 1200RT

ENJOY! May feel different to you at first.. I was advised (coming from a cruiser) that it would take 1000 miles to really get comfortable on it... I would say within 200 I was feeling pretty comfortable.. and then the grin just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger...!! Bike is amazing... just amazing.
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Thanks Phil, I'll definately be taking it easy for a while. It's a huge step up from what I'm on now! Looks like I may get to do some initial break in during typical Seattle weather, a bit cool and rainy out......but nothing will dampen the thrill today.
    Don Fitzpatrick
    Woodinville, WA
    2011 1200RT
    1999 XR650L

Today was a great day! Not only did I pick up my new bike, but the sun came out, and the normal 10 miles home turned into 85. The bike is a dream and is unbelievably smooth. It's going to take me a bit to get all the controls down, but I will enjoy the training. Here it is in our driveway straight from the dealership.....ok, maybe not straight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Fitzpatrick
    Woodinville, WA
    2011 1200RT
    1999 XR650L

Nice looking bike Don (looks just like mine- Thunder Grey) Sweet!

Awesome, Enjoy. Ride it in the Best of Health!
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Thanks Phil! It really is a pretty color combination. My wife and daughter helped me take delivery. Pam told me she would have been in this photo as well, except between the two of us and my smile, there just wasn't room......sun's out, so I get my first ride to the office, have a great day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Fitzpatrick
    Woodinville, WA
    2011 1200RT
    1999 XR650L

Congrats Don. That bike is at the top of my wish list. I'm sure turning 10 miles into 85 is just a tiny sample of the magic it holds. Enjoy!
    Mark M, St. Louis, '13 R1200GS, '01 Super Sherpa
    There are two roads in life; the twisty one is vastly more fun.

If the family gives you the time you will learn what that T in RT really means. Racking up long mileage days is easy and comfortable- except for the stock seat of course, which many (probably most) despise for long rides and replace. A cheap farkle that isn't. The Russell Day Long, Sargent, Corbin and Mayer are the most common choices.
    Won't be long before you start exploring the handling boundaries. The RT is certainly not the handling equivalent of a repli-racer but does very well for its size and type. Part of what makes that T on twisties fun. The bike handles noticeably better without the topcase and a load in it (the case alone is almost 40 lbs in a bad location) but is OK with it.

johnnywishbone

N Mas

Quote Originally Posted by Irishspirit View Post
    Thanks! I have to ask though, what does farkling mean?
    looks like you got the radio, so maybe all the other stuff. so did i. $30,000.00 was bad enough. i don't plan to add a darn thing to this bike. i just ordered the bmw pro touring boots. next month, a bluetooth schuberth c3. the funny looking clothing, bmw and aerostitch, i got on ebay, as new, 30?รณ on the $. take care, jp

Yep, I sure did. Left all my money with them for sure. It was worth it though. Rode it to work today, and took the long way home. It just gets better and better. I'm feeling a bit more comfortable, and the bike seems to be loosening up a bit now. I've only got 200 miles on it, but they are coming fast. I don't have plans for any new accessories at this point, but need to get my blue tooth functionality working well. I'm still waiting on a few items to arrive at the dealer that I purchased with the bike. I'll get those dialed in at the 600 mile service. How lucky are we? Beautiful bike by the way and it looks like you've got some sunny weather to ride in!
    Don Fitzpatrick
    Woodinville, WA
    2011 1200RT
    1999 XR650L