Thread: Bushtec Trailer hitch question

Hybrid View

Question Bushtec Trailer hitch question

I have been on the fence about buying a trailer for awhile now. I finally decided on the cheapest Bushtec trailer, and to buy it new because the price of the used trailers are about the same dollars. However, I thought last time I looked that Bushtec made a Hitch for my K1200RS, however, I just emailed them and received a reply back that they DON'T make a trailer hitch for my bike! Am I going crazy or they just stopped making them?
    Anybody out there with a K1200RS and a Bushtec Hitch?
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

2. 04-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Greetings
    A friend asked me to ask. What happens when the RT is at dead stop and it falls over with a trailer.
    What hitch type does the least amount of damage to the bike when the rig is at a dead stop or parked and falls over?
    I am only asking for a friend. Not that he is planning or falling over or any thing like that. It is just that he wants to know what would happen if a Bushtec vs uni-go at a dead stop did right sided flop. These are gernally followed by a sharp tap on top of the helmet from shethatknowsbetter.
    Thanks Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    A friend asked me to ask. What happens when the RT is at dead stop and it falls over with a trailer.
    What hitch type does the least amount of damage to the bike when the rig is at a dead stop or parked and falls over?
    I am only asking for a friend. Not that he is planning or falling over or any thing like that. It is just that he wants to know what would happen if a Bushtec vs uni-go at a dead stop did right sided flop. These are gernally followed by a sharp tap on top of the helmet from shethatknowsbetter.
    Thanks Tony
    The Uni-Go acts like an extension of the bike and the whole rig goes as one (like a Monty Python skit) and if you have a swivel hitch on the Bushtec then the trailer stays in place. I think that the same thing applys for a ball hitch but I'm not sure just how far the tolerance is. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Based on a discussion about hitches at a rally last summer, I understand that a ball hitch (without swivel) will allow the bike to lean a bit, but only to a limited extent. The implication here is that in a tip-over, you may do damage to the hitch or the bike or, perhaps, both -- depending on the loaded weight of the trailer.

Among BunkHouse owners, the consensus favored a swivel hitch. Understandable, since the battle between a 600 lb bike tipping over and a 500-600 BunkHouse "anchor" wouldn't be pretty!

Again, this is a discussion I listened to among hitch owners; I do not have any personal experience towing with my RT.

FWIW,
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

6. 04-16-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CaptRehkopf View Post
    I have been on the fence about buying a trailer for awhile now. I finally decided on the cheapest Bushtec trailer, and to buy it new because the price of the used trailers are about the same dollars. However, I thought last time I looked that Bushtec made a Hitch for my K1200RS, however, I just emailed them and received a reply back that they DON'T make a trailer hitch for my bike! Am I going crazy or they just stopped making them?
    Anybody out there with a K1200RS and a Bushtec Hitch?
    Uni-Go makes (made?) a hitch for the K1200RS, I have one, and use it with a 1 7/8" ball to pull a bunkhouse trailer.
    I recall asking Bushtec about a hitch for the RS at Daytona one year and they told me they didn't make a hitch for a "sportbike"!
    Oh, and a swivel on the trailer tongue allows the bike to fall without damaging the hitch. It also 'seems' to allow smoother lean transitions.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

So, the Uni-Go hitch will be 'suitable' for a Bushtec?
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    [QUOTE=CaptRehkopf;673500]So, the Uni-Go hitch will be 'suitable' for a Bushtec?[/QUOTE

yup. I think that they used to have a Uni-Go hitch at one time. Both Bushtec and Uni-Go are well braced tubular with lots of strength. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

[QUOTE=tourunigo;673545]
    So, the Uni-Go hitch will be 'suitable' for a Bushtec?[/QUOTE

yup. I think that they used to have a Uni-Go hitch at one time. Both Bushtec and Uni-Go are well braced tubular with lots of strength. - Bob
    Bob,
    What's the latest you've heard about the Uni-Go? Still the 75mph wobble, bearings, etc. Heard that one hit a pot hole and broke the trailer itself?
    As we have discussed the Uni-Go is the perfect size but I'm scared of the handling and stuff. I did notice somewhere that they are now saying put 1/3 of the weight on the tongue, that's new, never heard an actual load number before.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

So, the Uni-Go hitch will be 'suitable' for a Bushtec?
    Here is the accessory you have to have to run a Bushtec Trailer with a Unigo hitch,
    Then you can mount a swivel locking pin available from Bushtec.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

It appears that the Uni-Go hitch (1998 K1200RS), with a Bushtec swivel mounted 'pin' attachment IS the recommendation, correct?

One more question: does the Uni-Go hitch fit with the BMW's system cases mounted?

Thanks for all the help, now to look for that Bushtec Turbo 2 trailer.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Last edited by CaptRehkopf; 04-21-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert Rehkopf

It appears that the Uni-Go hitch (1998 K1200RS), with a Bushtec swivel mounted 'pin' attachment IS the recommendation, correct?

One more question: does the Uni-Go hitch fit with the BMW's system cases mounted?

Thanks for all the help, now to look for that Bushtec Turbo 2 trailer.
    Ride Safe,
    Robert
    Yes, it does fit with the system cases.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com