Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Throttlemeister function

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin55 View Post
    I have contacted TM by email and will post the results when they get back to me.

On the weekend, I used the TM and while finicky, didn't seem nearly as bad as last year.

Some posters have asked why I need a TM when I have cruise. I do not feel comfortable using the cruise in heavy traffic or in the twisties as I am constantly adjusting the throttle in those situations. On the other hand, I don't want my right hand to cramp up by having to hold the throttle all the time. A TM or similar device solves both issues.
    "Not comfortable using the cruise..."

Electronic cruise on a BMW can be disengaged by use of the clutch, or the throttle, or the front brake, or the rear brake.

Yet, you'd rather mechanically 'lock' the throttle with a TM?

For me, this is something of a head scratcher???
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

KevinRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    "Not comfortable using the cruise..."

Electronic cruise on a BMW can be disengaged by use of the clutch, or the throttle, or the front brake, or the rear brake.

Yet, you'd rather mechanically 'lock' the throttle with a TM?

For me, this is something of a head scratcher???
    Think about it. Do you really feel that you want to engage cruise, disengage, engage, thumb up, thumb down, disengage, engage, ad infinitum as you roll along in traffic or in the twisties, or do you want full control of the throttle with your hand - without having to grip it and risk hand fatigue? This is becoming more important to me as my arthritis slowly grows worse. And that is my beef with the TM function - I don't want to 'lock' it - I just want it to hold hard enough that the throttle does not roll off on its own but light enough that I can modulate the throttle. Chalk it down to a personal preference if you must, but I have had this functionality with a Bob's Wristrest on an oilhead RT and friends have it with TM and others on their bikes, and I want it with the hexhead. Make no mistake, I love the cruise control - just not in every situation.
    KevinRT
    Ottawa, Canada

I knew a guy who used to remove the throttle return springs from the carbs in every bike he owned as he, too, liked a neutral throttle.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin55 View Post
    Think about it. Do you really feel that you want to engage cruise, disengage, engage, thumb up, thumb down, disengage, engage, ad infinitum as you roll along in traffic or in the twisties, or do you want full control of the throttle with your hand - without having to grip it and risk hand fatigue? This is becoming more important to me as my arthritis slowly grows worse. And that is my beef with the TM function - I don't want to 'lock' it - I just want it to hold hard enough that the throttle does not roll off on its own but light enough that I can modulate the throttle. Chalk it down to a personal preference if you must, but I have had this functionality with a Bob's Wristrest on an oilhead RT and friends have it with TM and others on their bikes, and I want it with the hexhead. Make no mistake, I love the cruise control - just not in every situation.
    OK - cruise not to your liking.

But I never use it in the twisties, and rarely have to make 'adjustments' when on the open road. Something I would never be without again.

However, neither do I suffer (yet) from arthritis, so having not walked a mile in your shoes, just do whatever works best for your station in life.

Good Luck!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281