Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation For Lite Weight Camping Blanket

Recommendation For Lite Weight Camping Blanket

Does anyone have a recommendation for a lite weight camping blanket to use for Spring camping?

Thanks

Blanket

When I go winter camping I'll sometimes use a fleece blanket over my sleeping bag.

More info please

Quote Originally Posted by brprider679 View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a lite weight camping blanket to use for Spring camping?

Thanks
    What do you intend to use the blanket for? Where, geographically, will you be using it? Is it to enhance the insulation of a summer weight sleeping bag or something else?

RK Ryder

Thanks
    A silk liner tends to increase the sleeping bag temperature by about 8F and takes up no packing space. However, if it is gong to be much colder than for your bag is rated, I use a fleece, sewed like a mummy, to match my bag. The only disadvantage, for me, is the extra bulk.

I finally got a warmer sleeping bag. If it's hot, unzip it or sleep on top of it. Crawl inside when cold.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Ditch the blanket notion and listen to the above advice. A really good sleeping bag suited for the situation you will use it for is the best item you will have to camp AFTER a decent tent.

Rally Rat
    You did not hear it from me,,,,,BUT, the cheap polyester blankets you get on the airlines are great. I especially like the old US Air blankets. Now that they charge you for them, it is no disgrace to take it home with you.

Actually I need it for insulation between my airbed and me for spring and late fall camping

space blanket????

Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Insulation

Actually I need it for insulation between my airbed and me for spring and late fall camping
    I would suggest a better insulating pad, as a simple blanket is not going to provide very much insulation from the ground. For winter camping I bring along an extra foam mattress along with a Therm-a-Rest to increase the R-Value.

If you are using a simple air mattress, be aware that they do not provide very much insulation. Mattresses using foam such as Therm-A-Rest, Big Agnes, etc. are a much better option for colder weather. Check out the R-Values of different manufactures mattresses and find the one that is the best combination of weight, insulation, size and comfort for YOUR situation.

criminaldesign
    I've been using a surplus poncho liner. Thing wads up ridiculously small and there is barely any weight to it.

So small it fits in the sleeping bag cinch bag without any trouble WITH the sleeping bag.

I believe they can be had for $10-20, mine was a gift.

They seem to dry up pretty quick when they get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    I've been using a surplus poncho liner. Thing wads up ridiculously small and there is barely any weight to it.

So small it fits in the sleeping bag cinch bag without any trouble WITH the sleeping bag.

I believe they can be had for $10-20, mine was a gift.

They seem to dry up pretty quick when they get wet.
    +1 on the poncho liner. A great deal of warmth for little weight or space; affectionally known as woobies by many infantrymen. I carry one in addition to a very light weight (40 degrees) bag. If it's cold use the bag and the wobbie; if it's warm sleep on top of the bag and use just the woobie.
    Last edited by AKBeemer; 04-05-2011 at 01:15 AM.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Smile

You can find micro-fleece blankets just by using Google. They come in all sizes are light, warm and very comfortable. I use an air mattress with a fitted sheet and micro-fleece blanket for temps down to 68degF. When its really cold about 10 > 30degF the fleece goes over my sleeping bag and a space blanket between the bag and the air mattress.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

brp:

There's quite a selection of new pads that have come out in recent years.

Here's a page from REI's website that covers the different types:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...eping+pad.html
    Last edited by rinty; 04-05-2011 at 03:58 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

New REI pad:)

I just got the new REI 3.5inch self inflater pad, NICE. Warm, self inflates quickly with TWO, yes 2 valves, which was my gripe before. Most have been a pain to inflate, deflate. No more with the new one. Its a top loader for its size, but works nicely on my Jesse Bags lid. Worth not carrying a electric pump to inflate my others, including the Big Agnes pad I was using. It too was a pain to inflate and took forever. Fixed with my new REI bed. I camp in Winter. Randy

Big agnus inflatable, insulated sleeping pad, adequate sleeping bag and tent. I made a little gizmo that I can hook up to my electric 12v tire pump to fill the sleeping pad, saves time and lets it inflate while I'm doing other things to get set up.