Thread: garmin software compared to google

Hybrid View

Less is more.

garmin software compared to google

Please forgive the rant: Why does Garmin's software suck so bad compared to Google Maps? Specifically, I use BaseCamp on the Mac, and I've also tried Road Trip. Google is leagues better in almost every comparison: address finding, panning and zooming... It freezes, it lags, it crashes...

I haven't figured out a way to plan a route using google maps and the Garmin exporter plug-in, but its pretty good for finding addresses.

I wouldn't have posted this, but I'm pretty frustrated. In Google I type "philadelphia to Greenville SC" and I get a bright blue line on a map and directions. In Garmin's software it is a total trial to plot this route and upload it to my gps.

SH

The trick is to plan the route using Google or MapQuest and then use the Google/MapQuest options to send the .GPX file (as a route, NOT waypoints) to your Garmin unit. There are a number of post on the forums that will step you through doing this.

THIS might start you off...
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

I use Garmin's Mapsource program. I just click on "Route Tool" then on the map I click on "Philadelphia" and then "Greenville in SC". Another click to download the route to my GPSMAP 76C (a handheld).

A remark to using downloaded routes: The route may be slightly different when finally used in the GPS. The reason is that Mapsource only saves a few locations along the route and then the software in the GPS does its own optimization to navigate between these locations. To get a closer "copy" of my intended route I click on many more "support" locations along my route.

/Guenther

Less is more.
    Doesn't look like Google Maps lets you download routes, only waypoints... at least without going to a third party website. (correct me if I'm wrong please!) I looked at mapquest quickly, and my first impression is that they have a lot of intrusive, annoying adds, and that the interface, particularly wrt natural language, is not as good as googles. But they do support uploading GPX to a GPS.

I may try mapsource in a virtual machine on my mac, but my experience with that is that the VM does not have enough graphics throughput to make mapping apps usable.

Thanks for the input
    SH

Quote Originally Posted by samuelh View Post
    I may try mapsource in a virtual machine on my mac, but my experience with that is that the VM does not have enough graphics throughput to make mapping apps usable.
    FWIW I use DeLorme Topo 9 in a virtual box VM. It's fine as long as I don't even attempt to use 3D. I tried once and had to re-buil the windows partition with out the VM 3D drivers and then tell Topo 9 not to look for them. I have not tried windows mapsource in the VM.

I wish I could combine the good features of Topo and Mapsource into a native Mac application. (DeLorme is windows only; Garmin's Mac software leaves a lot to be desired).

Now here is something interesting. I just used both BaseCamp and RoadTrip to do a route from Phili to Greenville, SC. Both came up with almost identical time and distance but each used a slightly different route to get out of and into the cities. Then I put both in the Zumo 660. I had my settings on the software to the Fastest. When I looked, I saw both routes in the zumo were the same length as the software but were about 30 mins shorter. Then i checked the settings on the zumo and verified it was set to fastest. Yet, when i checked the individual route settings, there came in as shortest. I then set to fastest on both and another 12 minutes was taken off of both routes. 10 hrs 6 mins to 9 hrs 30 mins to 9 hrs 18 mins. Not that it means alot other than interesting data.

I have noticed that RoadTrip is a bit slower and jerky where BaseCamp is nice and smooth. I use a MAC PRO - the floor model with lots of memory, two quad processors and tons of storage. When I get time, I will try the MACBOOK PRO.

Overall, I really like the Garmin software. But it does take some time to learn how to efficiently find your cities, addresses, POI's etc. But once I got it, it is a breeze.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va