Thread: Rally and local noise abatement regulations

Rally and local noise abatement regulations

I have invited a friend to attend the 2011 rally. He has another brand of MC with aftermarket exhuast. It is louder than stock. Not straight pipes but yes louder than stock.

I read in the Rally frequently asked questions section that a "bike must meet local noise abatement regulations". Any body have any idea what specifically these regulations are?

I would hate to make the five hundred mile trip only to find out that he could not enter the rally grounds. If indeed his bike is too loud it would be nice to find out sooner than later.

Thanks,
    mark
    Last edited by mark from maine; 04-02-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Greetings
    Being a local and reading the Press Enterprise I have never heard of a ticket being written for a only excessive noise. There are a lot of loud pickups, HDs and hot rod kids in this area. Excessive noise only draws unwarranted attention to oneself.

The monster truck rally caused many complaints from locals and the truck parade though town was cancelled. Tickets were written for alot of things and some of those may have been for excessive noise. This rally draws a lot of people and generates a lot of income for local business. It is a major event Bloomsburgs but if you live 20 miles away you would not that they are in town.

If you have to ask.
    Is my motorcycle is to loud?
    Most likely it is to loud.

Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Lots of straight pipe cruisers, with helmet less riders riding around PA. Unless you are amplifying your exhaust through a bike mounted "Blues Brothers" size speaker, you should not turn any heads at all.

Yea ....... it doesn't have a boom box does it?
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by mark from maine View Post
    I read in the Rally frequently asked questions section that a "bike must meet local noise abatement regulations". Any body have any idea what specifically these regulations are?
    In order to be as"business friendly" as possible to HD and its customers (there's the York, PA assembly plant), PA has adopted lenient helmet and exhaust noise standards.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

[QUOTE=
    I would hate to make the five hundred mile trip only to find out that he could not enter the rally grounds. If indeed his bike is too loud it would be nice to find out sooner than later.

Thanks,
    mark[/QUOTE]

No one has ever been turned away at a BMW MOA Rally because of loud pipes!

Local Law Enforcement my have other ideas!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    Being a local and reading the Press Enterprise I have never heard of a ticket being written for a only excessive noise. There are a lot of loud pickups, HDs and hot rod kids in this area. Excessive noise only draws unwarranted attention to oneself.

The monster truck rally caused many complaints from locals and the truck parade though town was cancelled. Tickets were written for alot of things and some of those may have been for excessive noise. This rally draws a lot of people and generates a lot of income for local business. It is a major event Bloomsburgs but if you live 20 miles away you would not that they are in town.

If you have to ask.
    Is my motorcycle is to loud?
    Most likely it is to loud.

Tony
    Well put - "If you have reason to ask, it's probably too loud."

Given the gentle, Amish neighborhood we're about to invade for a week, it behoves all of us to tread softly (loud pipes?!) and leave a good impression.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.)
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer,THE REF Staff)
    Iron Butt Association Member # 34281

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Well put - "If you have reason to ask, it's probably too loud."

Given the gentle, Amish neighborhood we're about to invade for a week, it behoves all of us to tread softly (loud pipes?!) and leave a good impression.

"clop, clop, clop, clop, clop, bang, bang, clop, clop, clop, clop, clop"

.............Amish drive by shooting.........
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

The law enforcement community is very supportive and I would wager they will be more into community policing than run some special checkpoint to weed out riders.........or even check for weed.............I mean noise.
    If one cannot command attention by one's admirable qualities one can at least be a nuisance

Ah...nothing like the sound of loud pipes a few feet from your tent as you are trying to sleep off the effects of last evenings beer tent activities. Almost as bad as that airhead trying to start next to me on a cool morning at the VT rally.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by mark from maine View Post
    I have invited a friend to attend the 2011 rally. He has another brand of MC with aftermarket exhuast. It is louder than stock. Not straight pipes but yes louder than stock.

Thanks,
    mark
    With H-D being the most popular brand of motorcycle and with seemingly all of them having louder than stock exhausts, I can't imagine your buddy having a problem.
    keep it light enough to travel.....
    '04 R1150RT
    '81 Honda CB650 Custom