Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TightWad Seeks Topcase

If you want a good, stout, weatherproof case at less than motorcycle luggage prices take a look at the Pelican cases at: http://www.pelican-case.com/

I just bought one of these for a top-box for my F650Dakar. Under $100 and stouter than any non-metal case I've ever owned.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

criminaldesign
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Kind of a side track , but actually a "real" milk crate is very expensive. We had a guy in the minimum security prison where I worked for several yrs(in the tech school) that had stolen a case of milk and it was a felony!I read an article in the paper a few years ago as to the huge losses incurred by the milk processors. I have several , all were roadside trash finds. A milk crate lacks the rainproof feature I prefer as a topcase. Yes, I'll stop for gas cans and various other common finds...
    Yeah, it has it printed on the side of milk crates that what you have in your hands is stolen property.

Better yet, a cardboard box in a milk crate, inside of surplus dry bag. It will keep it's shape and stay dry.

I've looked at the pelican cases, they are nice. I would like to throw a set for side cases on the airhead but what I have still works.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBarnhart View Post
    Helen Two Wheels Strap: wrap it around the case and get on with you life
    FWIW, BigLots flat straps are what got the piece of junk the past 6k...

Quote Originally Posted by rmcclure View Post
    I have a Givi E52? I think. If you are traveling to Ontario, it might suit your needs. I used it for one trip and then sold the bike, kept the topcase. It has the brakelight and backrest already installed.
    I could sure use some Ontario fishing right now!

My current lean is toward a Shad SH42 closeout deal. Like to hear some feedback on that brand???
    Paul, I looked at used Pelicans on ebay & may go that route too, but need to measure some more on my bike to decide just which one. One dis on a Pelican for bikes is the fact that they are heavy compared to made for bike luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    My current lean is toward a Shad SH42 closeout deal. Like to hear some feedback on that brand???
    Paul, I looked at used Pelicans on ebay & may go that route too, but need to measure some more on my bike to decide just which one. One dis on a Pelican for bikes is the fact that they are heavy compared to made for bike luggage.
    Agreed relative to OEM stuff and GIVI stuff, but the Pelican cases on my F650 are featherweights compared to the Jesse Luggage on my R1150R. In the scheme of things for a 425 to 525 pound bike I don't think it matters.

When I got back from traveling last summer I weighed all the luggage and stuff strapped on my R1150. It was like carrying a passenger - the stuff weighed 171 pounds, so the extra couple of pounds the case might weigh isn't a big factor to me.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

tightwad

I will agree on the Pelican cases, my company uses a lot of them to ship specialized tooling around the world, all black,I was able to buy a used orange Pelican case off of Fleabay, that the previous owner had used for expensive camera equipment. It had a few scratches, but otherwise perfect. To me its always fun to fabricate tooling, so no problem to make a mounting bracket. It helps to work for a company with a machine shop, and bored machinists on night shift. One can get real creative.

Tightwad hard cases

At the 1986 natiional in Ca. I saw a /2 with 5 gal. plastic buckets for side cases and a matching 2.5 gal. bucket for a top case.
    They looked water tight.
    Three peice matching hard luggage for $7.50 you can't beat that.
    Happy Trails
    The Lonerider

Yes, you can(but it's not like I plan to do it!) as I get plastic buckets for free from the Wally World bakery & Kroger's bakery. I use them for maple sap collection but as I said don't want them hanging on my bike!
    In a new developement, the seller of my clone case on ebay says he sells the latches for $5 + $3 s&h. I am going to ditch the clone and move on. Some on Advrider are using the Seahorse case SE720 which retails for ~$44. It is 6.6" deep so I wish it were a bit deeper. Another guy has a Wally World , Ozark Trails cooler mounted on his bike, comes with included alu lined water bottles on two corners. I'm also looking at military cases, but not real price competitive with the Seahorse, considering they are used.