Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TightWad Seeks Topcase

TightWad Seeks Topcase

I have a Givi 46Lt. Chinese clone & the plastic latch broke when yours trully, tried to "stuff" a heated jacket in on top of a full case. I have yet to attempt a "repair" to the latch that is made very much like the Givi's. I have priced Monokey Givi & Coocase and am reluctant to spend $275-$300+ on another top case. I would like to see if some members have a novel solution to this need? I am after black or whatever, but not willing or able to go after the high bling topcases many have on their bikes. No, this isn't about April 1st...

Rally Rat
    Helen Two Wheels Strap: wrap it around the case and get on with you life

here's an option

jc whitney trunk.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-...p2010969.jcwx#

i got the "large" one from sears for $50 delivered with a universal rack. i spray painted the orangish/red bit silver and it looks much better. the large trunk has dimensions similar to a 46L case, i believe. i've had it for about 2 years and have had no issues with it at all. no leaks. not the best looking thing but good enough. it is pretty much the givi E460. sorry no pic, don't have my bike with me today.

Ebay

I got one of these and a nice case for the money, I do not understand how they can charged $300-500 for a plastic case.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=mot...op+case&_rdc=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by MIAirhead; 04-01-2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Tom
    '84 R100RT '04 CLC(gone) Honda NT700V
    BMW
    Beer Motorcycles Women

Quote Originally Posted by cooptroop View Post
    jc whitney trunk.

i got the "large" one from sears for $50 delivered with a universal rack. i spray painted the orangish/red bit silver and it looks much better. the large trunk has dimensions similar to a 46L case, i believe. i've had it for about 2 years and have had no issues with it at all. no leaks. not the best looking thing but good enough. it is pretty much the givi E460. sorry no pic, don't have my bike with me today.
    I second this. I bought the smaller one for our Vstrom. Perfect for the money.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Rally Rat
    I got the Bestam large trunk, I think it was $79. Identicle to a Givi trunk, was parked next to a ST1300 with a Givi, even at close inspection we couldn't tell the differance between the 2.

jc whitney trunk.

I think this is what he meant when he said he had broken a Chinese clone of the 46L Givi. Maybe I misunderstood.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I have a Givi E52? I think. If you are traveling to Ontario, it might suit your needs. I used it for one trip and then sold the bike, kept the topcase. It has the brakelight and backrest already installed.
    Ross
    K1200LT (99), DL650A (08), XJ650RJ (82)

Loading the Bike
    I have had good luck with this one. Though the photo shows the black model, I ordered silver and it matched my RT really well.
    http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...125&s=prod.php

criminaldesign
    A true tightwad top case would be a milk crate. You could even rig up a lid and latch.

Those things are expensive(topcase, not milk crate). I was skimming through a new catalog just this afternoon and noticed the prices on them.

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post
    A true tightwad top case would be a milk crate. You could even rig up a lid and latch.

Those things are expensive(topcase, not milk crate). I was skimming through a new catalog just this afternoon and noticed the prices on them.
    Yea, go to the Hardware store and buy a hasp and staple. It will look like a Redneck did it. But you don't care, your CHEAP
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by TomBarnhart View Post
    Helen Two Wheels Strap: wrap it around the case and get on with you life
    Too expensive for a tightwad. Do the local beemer dealers still give away the straps used to tie new bikes down in the crate? Or are the straps even used any more. A pair of those straps kept the side cases on my R80RT for years.

jc whitney trunk.

Thats the same , exact case I have now, except I bought mine on ebay. They depend on the plastic latch part that has a sharp lip molded into it to latch & that part broke . May repair it as a challenge & to save $, but no time to really study it yet . I too, fail to see how plastic cases are worth the $ asked? Maybe a high end tool box is the answer...

Quote Originally Posted by criminaldesign View Post

Kind of a side track , but actually a "real" milk crate is very expensive. We had a guy in the minimum security prison where I worked for several yrs(in the tech school) that had stolen a case of milk and it was a felony!I read an article in the paper a few years ago as to the huge losses incurred by the milk processors. I have several , all were roadside trash finds. A milk crate lacks the rainproof feature I prefer as a topcase. Yes, I'll stop for gas cans and various other common finds...

Rally Rat
    Cheaper still, a cardboard box, seems to work for the local Old Order Mennonite population, (our Amish use large wheeled scooters, no chain or seat) they all have them on the back of their bicycles to carry things in. Not sure how long they last in the rain, but that's seriously all they use.

If you dont need a hard trunk, a waterproof rolltop bag can be had at Walmart for $13. The one I got holds my tent, sleeping bag and ground tarp. Not sure of the size, but somewhere around 30"x12"x9".