Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Over Jacket Options

azrtrdr
    I always wear a vented jkt. here in Az.. The rain/thermal liners I wear unattached. Never could see zipping/snapping them in and out.
    Seems to work just as well too.
    For added heat or rain protection I carry a pair of BMG Ezeon pants and an old fisherman's rain jkt. for any downpours.
    This works for me when using any of the various brand armored jkts that I wear.

Smile

I use a Tourmaster rain jacket over my high-viz vented/armored jacket. Packs easy and keeps me dry. Easy on / Easy off.
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

The interesting thing about a mesh jacket is that when you cover it with a windproof outer shell the mesh acts like an insulating layer. My summer touring get-up is a mesh jacket with my old Darien, minus the Darien's armor. (hi-vis yellow, of course).

In the chilly morning I start out with the Darien over the mesh - as the morning warms I open the vents on it - by the time the day has reached full heat I stow the 'stitch. It's also great in a warm rain as the vents - and probably the gore tex as well - keep me dry without the clamminess typical to a plastic rain suit.

An Aerostitch is kind of a pricey choice for this sort of usage - I just happened to have it. You could substitute any vented hiking style windbreaker, just buy it a size or two larger to fit over your mesh jacket.
    Steve
    Y2K R1100RT

Ride on ~ Far out

Bingo! This is what I did. Already got to try it out yesterday as the day heat in the 90's dropped into the 60's at night. No rain but when the sun set I put on the Columbia rain/wind jacket and it did it's job. I like this option because...
    1 - This jacket packs into a space of about 4X6X3. The liners would have filled a major part of one saddle bag.
    2 - Went on in seconds (less than a minute). The liners would have taken a lot longer to put on. Btw, I will try not zipping and snapping them in next time.
    3 - Did not need a heavy winter suit - just something to block the wind.
    4 - Certainly did not need to use my one piece rain suit in this case.
    5 - I wanted to buy locally so that I could try the jacket with and without my riding jacket.

Like I stated in the OP, I was looking for something that you can always carry for those times that you don't expect to happen in a daily ride. I was about 85 miles from home and this jacket made that ride perfect. I also plan to use it in summer showers that only last for minutes or perhaps less than an hour and happen when the temperature is in the 80's to 90's. I save the full rain suit for day long rains or winter use.

tsp
    PS: The jacket retails for $45 but Academy has them for $30.
    Blog: swriding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALIENHITCHHIKER View Post
    The interesting thing about a mesh jacket is that when you cover it with a windproof outer shell the mesh acts like an insulating layer. My summer touring get-up is a mesh jacket with my old Darien, minus the Darien's armor. (hi-vis yellow, of course).

In the chilly morning I start out with the Darien over the mesh - as the morning warms I open the vents on it - by the time the day has reached full heat I stow the 'stitch. It's also great in a warm rain as the vents - and probably the gore tex as well - keep me dry without the clamminess typical to a plastic rain suit.

An Aerostitch is kind of a pricey choice for this sort of usage - I just happened to have it. You could substitute any vented hiking style windbreaker, just buy it a size or two larger to fit over your mesh jacket.