Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AMA Announces AmericaÔÇÖs 15 Best Motorcycling Roads

2,3,4,&7.....yup! Great Rides! Gotta luv those roads without guardrails!!
    "Wer reitet so spaet durch nacht und wind -es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind" -- Goethe
    R1200RT, F800GS
    '80 GL1100

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    US 129 Dragon is ok, but there are a lot better roads around there without all the squids.

Million Dollar highway in Colorado is outstanding !

Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park is a stunning ride.

BRP is ok, but too much green. Nothing like out west !

Pretty good list anyway.
    Agreed. There's nowhere like West Coast and Rocky Mountains. Nowhere on the East Coast can't even hold a candle plus weather sucks during summer if you are riding ATGATT. BRP is a 45mph boring ride, ride 20 miles on it and you've seen it all. Cruiser crowd might like it but not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by careycsg View Post
    Not a single mention of any road here in Illinois

How could they leave out the Kennedy at rush hour, when there's construction, on the hiway and on the CTA Blue Line ???
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Talking surprise surprise!

I've ridden 6 of 15!! Sometimes I surprise myself.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

Somebody's already said it.......

Somebody referred to CA 1 between Leggett and Hardy here recently and I can't remember the thread but after careful research I must concur. CA 1 between Leggett and Hardy was more entertaining and challenging that the Dragon. While the Dragon includes some unique combinations, CA1 (between Leggett and Hardy) went on for two or more times the Dragon's distance and at the end we popped out of the woods to see the Pacific Ocean.

CA1 from Eureka to Bodega Bay was sure a great ride with some technical stuff too. The steepest switchback we encountered on our trip was somewhere between Fort Bragg and Jenner.

CA299 between Redmond and Eureka was awesome. That was a full afternoon of twisties.

CA245 was lots of twisty fun on our way to the north entrance of Sequoia National Park from Three Rivers.

CA49 between Coulterville and Mariposa was great as was J132 between Coulterville and CA120. We visited with a few BMW club riders in Mariposa for the rally while we lunched at Happy Burger.

CA120 was fun, too. The decent down from Yosemite to Oakdale was interesting.

CA58 from CA101 to Bakersfield was cool, too.

To these I'd add General's Highway, King's Canyon, and the ride through Yosemite.

All of these would be on my list of best rides. And they're all in CA. Lucky dogs.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Always liked Utah 12 from Escalante to Grover. Rode it when it was still dirt (1984) and a couple of times since it was paved. No traffic and great high mountain road!

Now I kinda like US191 in AZ from Morenci to Alpine. Here is the straightaway:

Have been on all of the CA roads and would like to get back on Blue Ridge (on my bike) someday. CA36 is a real trip and the best of the CA bunch!

Keep riding.... Bob
    'If life throws you a curve, lean into it!'
    Bob Bryant
    BMW 2005 R1200RT
    www.teambryant.org

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Now that I've ridden both (this year) I sure agree they are great rides. Even got to help a rider with a dead bike at mile marker 215 north of the mine. He had relplaced a 'bad' battery the day before that ended up really being an alternator issue. Yes! It was a Harley and the guy was very nice and was on a day off from working at the mine. Anyhow that ride was a weekly thing for him. Very cool!
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

A sampler of the portion of Ca SR 58 leaving McKittrick. I ran out of video storage before I hit the pretty part filled with sweepers in the west. This video was shot mid-April 2011.

Wow! I consider myself a close-to-home, casual rider, and I've done 3 of them - 1, 9, 15

Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

Podzo

Unbelievable picks

Must be politically motivated. How could souther Utah and about 5 other roads in Colorado be left off. Or am I wrong?