Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AMA Announces AmericaÔÇÖs 15 Best Motorcycling Roads

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That list was compiled by one sport bike rider and two pirates wearing doo rags .

You suppose there was a trailering somewhere as well?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Natural State dissed

I must question this supposed rating system since no Arkansas roads were included. Have the AMA "raters" never ridden the Pig Trail, the Talimena Skyway, or Highway 7 just to name a few? Their opinions are like a certain body part, everyone has one, but the other guy's smells bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    An Honorable Mention should go to Skaggs Springs Road (aka Skaggs Springs International Raceway).
    That was today's ride. Skaggs Springs (after first finding the gate on Rockpile), to Tin Barn, then Kings Ridge into Cazadero. Two cars on Skaggs Spring, about 20 head of cattle in the road at various places on Tin Barn and Kings Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by GSTom View Post
    I must question this supposed rating system since no Arkansas roads were included. Have the AMA "raters" never ridden the Pig Trail, the Talimena Skyway, or Highway 7 just to name a few? Their opinions are like a certain body part, everyone has one, but the other guy's smells bad.
    there probably ain't enough AMA members in Arkansas.

i don't even remember them calling for input... i'm just glad *my* best motorcycling roads ain't on that list!

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

bunkyone
    Hey all: I've been on about half of these roads. Can't say that they were "the best", but most of them were pretty good. I don't know what perimeters the AMA used,was it the quality of the scenery, or the level of difficulty. Frankly, any two lane road in the southern part of Ohio (or W. Va, Va, Tn, N.C.) would qualify as a good biking road. Heck we even have a few here in Michigan. As long as your riding, they are all good roads! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Wow, four on the list are in California.
    I've ridden all but CA36 (of the Cal roads listed). And next time I'm up that way, it's on the list!

I was kinda surprised that CA120 (Sonora Pass) from Bridgeport to Sonora wasn't listed. It's a really beautiful ride, and the Eastern portion is fairly technical.
    I totally agree with CA58, I grew up near the West end of this one. Great road, and it was my very first exciting road experience on a bike. I was a passenger on my roommate's old R75. We also took that bike up Hwy1 to Big Sur a few times.

I'm lucky, sort of...
    I work nights/weekends, so most of the time I get on these roads when they're deserted. Last September, I rode the Sonora Pass with my brother on a Tuesday. We saw maybe 8 or 9 cars the whole way, and stopped in Strawberry for a break with a bunch of other riders.

I'm thinking about shutting down this damn PC and heading for CA2 right now...the weather is perfect.
    See ya!
    '92 K75S, all black...
    '08 K1200GT, silver...
    '06 R1200GS, silver...
    '63 R50/2, black...

Actually, CA-120 is Tioga Pass through Yosemite. Beautiful, but 45mph limit and can be very busy and heavily enforced.

You're thinking of CA-108 over Sonora Pass, which is excellent. The other Sierra passes are nice, too: Ebbetts Pass CA-4, Monitor Pass CA-89, Carson Pass CA-88, even Echo Summit on US-50 is nice. It was only a few years ago I finally rode over Sherman Pass in the southern Sierra (not a state road). A little further south is CA-178, Walker Pass, the route many take to Death Valley.

(Do I have to mention I-80 over Donner Summit?)
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

You gotta be kiddin me!

Not a single mention of any road here in Illinois

Smile

[QUOTE=careycsg;668249]Not a single mention of any road here in Illinois

I feel your pain. But then again, HWY 33 thru Wildcat Mtn. State Park here in WI didn't get any Golden Globe either.

Problem is, it's the "15 Top Roads" - not "115 Top Roads."

Many other good rides in the USA - this is just somebody's subjective list of interesting routes -nothing more, nothing less.

I've enjoyed some, will seek out some I haven't.

Ride well and often!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    The best road(s)?

When you pull into the next gas station and whip off the helmet and say:
    "Whoa! Wasn't that great!?

Glad none of mine are listed. Surprisingly none in the Adirondacks.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    Actually, CA-120 is Tioga Pass through Yosemite. Beautiful, but 45mph limit and can be very busy and heavily enforced.

You're thinking of CA-108 over Sonora Pass, which is excellent. The other Sierra passes are nice, too: Ebbetts Pass CA-4, Monitor Pass CA-89, Carson Pass CA-88, even Echo Summit on US-50 is nice. It was only a few years ago I finally rode over Sherman Pass in the southern Sierra (not a state road). A little further south is CA-178, Walker Pass, the route many take to Death Valley.

(Do I have to mention I-80 over Donner Summit?)
    DOH!
    You're right, it's HWY108. Duh! I should know this, I've spent every summer since age 3 up there...oops!
    '92 K75S, all black...
    '08 K1200GT, silver...
    '06 R1200GS, silver...
    '63 R50/2, black...

RSPENNACHIO
    That is an interesting list but isn't the best motorcyle road just like the best food you ever ate?

We all like things a certain way. The BRP is very nice and beautiful for sure but that is not my favorite type of riding. Deals Gap is a nice peice of road but most of you all know of the pitfalls that come with it.

Lets face it, we are the "high and mighty" crowd when it comes to motorcycling.

I have my own list of primo roads but I also like to hear what others like too.

And don't forget in about a year there will be AMA's 2012 list of the 15 Best Roads again and it will most likely be a totally different list.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

US 129 Dragon is ok, but there are a lot better roads around there without all the squids.

Million Dollar highway in Colorado is outstanding !

Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park is a stunning ride.

BRP is ok, but too much green. Nothing like out west !

Pretty good list anyway.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by GSTom View Post
    I agree!

Arkansas, in my opinion, has the best riding in the country...but don't tell anyone.
    2007 R1200GS Adventure