Thread: Tires - Metzler Z8?

Hybrid View

Pennsy Flyer

Tires - Metzler Z8?

Has anyone seen or used the new Metzler Z8 tires yet? I have just recently found out about them and would love to try a set! Some of the online stores have them in stock but I don't know how long they have been available.

These are a major improvement over the Z6 if only because of a center sipe on the rear tire so you can now judge tire wear easily!

Good luck with them and let us know how it goes.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Rednick,

I'm moving this over to "Gear" since it's more general - and these tires may be used on lots of BMW models. Hopefully you'll get some useful replies! I'm also adding the type of tire to the thread title - so that may draw some more interest.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I've had one for a couple of months siting on the floor, will be fit fitted in a week or two, before next long trip. Hope it last longer than Z6 and M880 about 10.000km out of them always 2 up and lots of corners, was hoping M880 would last longer but dosen't look like it.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/prod...8/default.page

Clay
    Yep..Z8's in M5 clothing. Getting a pair on this week

Pennsy Flyer

Z 8's

Thanks for the input gang. I am sure they will be my next tire. I have always loved Metzler tires, never had a bad one! Can't wait to try them.
    Have a BRP trip in May and will need tires before that.
    Clay, let me know how you like them. I am in Elverson.

Watch them like a hawk for rear tire wear. If you do a lot of flat riding you'll end up with very quickly appearing steel belts in a VERY short period of time. The twi's dont monitor the life of the tire in the center section so there's little warning. (3475 was showing belt on my k1600 and they were fine at 3350). YMMV.

I'll never buy another set

I have Z8s mounted on my R1200RT now. I like them at least as well as the Bridgestone 023GT tires they replaced. I'm in AZ so lots of straight and dry roads here. I will be taking them up through Utah next month and will report back after that trip through the twisties.

The Bstone 023GT tires were excellent with good grip and great mileage (>12k), but I wanted to try a non-dual compound tire because the dual compound tire seemed to have an issue with flat spot edge transition. There was still good tread, but the transition point was sharp enough that it made holding a line in a corner an effort.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Quote Originally Posted by Dmftoy1 View Post
    Watch them like a hawk for rear tire wear. If you do a lot of flat riding you'll end up with very quickly appearing steel belts in a VERY short period of time. The twi's dont monitor the life of the tire in the center section so there's little warning. (3475 was showing belt on my k1600 and they were fine at 3350). YMMV.

I'll never buy another set
    3400 miles??? To what do you attribute the short lifespan?

I have Z6s on my R1100RT, and at 19500 miles total (the rear has been on for about 7400 miles, the front twice that). The rear has about 2000 miles left and the front about the same, and I plan to change them both. I always ride one-up on this bike, with side cases attached, but usually empty. Mixed riding, about 70% straight, highway speeds.

I hope / expect at least the same mileage from the Z8s
    Delaware Dave
    1999 BMW R1100RT
    2010 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Limited

Don't know never had it happen before. Seems to not be uncommon on K1600's though for this tire.

On my second set

I have used Z8's for a while. They have good traction and good wet perfromance. I got 15,000 kms on the rear and 25,000 on the front, on the first set. I used 39 psi on the front and 42 on thr rear all the time. I rarely ride two-up but I do a lot of touring with a loaded bike.

To me watch the tire pressures and they should wear well.
    Dave Nicholls
    Teulon, MB - Canada
    2010 RT Owner