Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tires - Metzler Z8?

Pennsy Flyer

Tires - Metzler Z8?

Has anyone seen or used the new Metzler Z8 tires yet? I have just recently found out about them and would love to try a set! Some of the online stores have them in stock but I don't know how long they have been available.

These are a major improvement over the Z6 if only because of a center sipe on the rear tire so you can now judge tire wear easily!

Good luck with them and let us know how it goes.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Rednick,

I'm moving this over to "Gear" since it's more general - and these tires may be used on lots of BMW models. Hopefully you'll get some useful replies! I'm also adding the type of tire to the thread title - so that may draw some more interest.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I've had one for a couple of months siting on the floor, will be fit fitted in a week or two, before next long trip. Hope it last longer than Z6 and M880 about 10.000km out of them always 2 up and lots of corners, was hoping M880 would last longer but dosen't look like it.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/prod...8/default.page

Clay
    Yep..Z8's in M5 clothing. Getting a pair on this week

Pennsy Flyer

Z 8's

Thanks for the input gang. I am sure they will be my next tire. I have always loved Metzler tires, never had a bad one! Can't wait to try them.
    Have a BRP trip in May and will need tires before that.
    Clay, let me know how you like them. I am in Elverson.

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    (K1100LT 1992) I have a Lasertec on the rear and need one for the front. Rear is almost new. What are the thoughts about putting a Z8 on the front with the Lasertec on the rear? - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Z6 & z8

I'm going to replace my front tire with the Z8 and leave the old Z6 rear on the bike for a while. The read on the new Z8 sounds good.

Btw, I got 10,800 miles on the front (so far).

tsp
    2010 R1200RT

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by rednick View Post
    Thanks for the input gang. I am sure they will be my next tire. I have always loved Metzler tires, never had a bad one! Can't wait to try them.
    Have a BRP trip in May and will need tires before that.
    Clay, let me know how you like them. I am in Elverson.
    Just had 'em put on..in the 100 or so miles..very predictable even in the wet. So far a very confidence building tire. Again..I've only had 'em for a very short time. My Z6's that where removed had about 8k+ miles and the rear was about to show metal cords. These Z8's are in M5 clothing..so these new tires wont have the missing center wear bar issues that the Z6's had.. We'll see how the long these will wear in retrospective..

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    Are these a "Dual Compound" tire?
    Sorry for my ignorance.

Clay
    Metzeler's all-new Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó sport-touring motorcycle tyre is now ready for the highways and mountain roads with several much appreciated advances including its Greek Pi (π) tread pattern, new contoured profiles and nano-scale compound solutions matched to a well-proven InteractÔäó: Multi Zone Tension technology structure for performances from the first mile, at full-load and in all weather conditions. The combination of these features make Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó the perfect tyre for modern Sport Touring needs, dedicated to riders making long-distance journeys and to devoted all-season sport riders with reliability and riding easiness to enjoy the distance, safely.
    Easy riding for maximum enjoyment
    Metzeler's new Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó is yet another class-leading tyre committed to riding enjoyment, that is, a tyre with versatility of use, comfort and safety (especially under wet conditions) that permits you to focus on the ride. Roadtec Z8 InteractÔäó provides increased riding enjoyment initially through a new generation CMT (Contour Modeling Technology) profile that reduces push steering force by 5% versus its predecessor, immediately elevating the overall handling capabilities and easiness of various bike setups. This was achieved through a reduced cap section height, resulting in a more rounded curvature design to improve handling and increased stability. Although the profile has measurably quicker steering transitions, an incredible safety feeling is still present through a predictable turn-in rate that adds confidence to challenging riding such as panic situations on the wet while braking or low-speed turns on mountain passes.

Additional elements of riding enjoyment like excellent handling, stability and reduced road noise are attained by mating this tyre profile to the latest structural innovation: InteractÔäó multi zone tension technology, along with a functional tread pattern and temperature resistant compounds. A final footprint area 8% wider as compared to the Roadtec Z6 InteractÔäó is the outcome of a variation of steel belt tensions and a strategically placed tread pattern which optimizes pressures in the footprint area.

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    I had seen that on the Metzler site. Just can't get the dual part....

Quote Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    I had seen that on the Metzler site. Just can't get the dual part....
    Reading further, it appears they use differing belt tensions in the tire carcass rather than zoned tread compound texture. This from the Technology tab:

"InteractÔäó TechnologyÔÇÖs new scheme with a 3 zone tension (see image) provide a comfort and mileage for sport-touring, in order to enjoy the distance, safely:
    High steel belts winding tension in the center reduces compound movement and increases stability of the footprint area which reduces wear and ensures high speed stability on long motorway journeys (centre zone - 2).
    Low steel belts winding tension creates more flexibility and therefore higher energy absorption, the compound increases the temperature and in a way becomes softer offering more grip while leaning. (Shoulder zones - 1 & 3)"

Reference is made on the Versatility tab to tread compounds that differ between the front and rear tires, but not zoned within each tire.
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

Pennsy Flyer
    mounted my new Z8's Thursday night after work. have about 350 miles on them now, maybe 45 or 50 in the rain and I love em! such a huge improvement over the PR2's I took off.
    leaving on a trip to the BRP ,Smokey Mtn's, Etc in 2 weeks so I will report back after that ride.

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND..
    Thanks Steve!
    I think these tires will be my next.
    Steve