Thread: PENNY pinching idea's:)

Hybrid View

PENNY pinching idea's:)

Anybody have any great suggestions, so I can PAY for my gas to Pennsylvania this year!!! I camp, try to eat less on the road and may even have to slow down my GSA1200 to PENNY pinch my way along the USA byways this Summer. Any tips may help me get a few more miles. I'm trying from the West Coast this year again. Its usually a 8000m loop for myself and all my sightseeing and I figure my purse must get bigger soon. We are over the 4 dollar thing out here already. The rally in PA this year is a great locale I want to see again and again. Those smaller BMWs get more and more interesting with their better MPGs, which the GSA is poor in this regard. Happy Trails ALL, Randy"Polarbear"

I thought you couldn't make it. I'm glad things have changed.

Maybe shipping your luggage? Don't know how much difference the weight will change your gas mileage. Just thinking out loud.

If you're planning to stay in hotels, sign up for whoever has the best plan to earn free nights.

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Anybody have any great suggestions, so I can PAY for my gas to Pennsylvania this year!!! I camp, try to eat less on the road and may even have to slow down my GSA1200 to PENNY pinch my way along the USA byways this Summer. Any tips may help me get a few more miles. I'm trying from the West Coast this year again. Its usually a 8000m loop for myself and all my sightseeing and I figure my purse must get bigger soon. We are over the 4 dollar thing out here already. The rally in PA this year is a great locale I want to see again and again. Those smaller BMWs get more and more interesting with their better MPGs, which the GSA is poor in this regard. Happy Trails ALL, Randy"Polarbear"
    I've checked out a few of these...interesting

http://freecampgrounds.com/

Clay
    Hospitals have at time decent meals in their cafetieres at decent prices. Catching a few ZZzz in their Emergency waiting rooms I've been known to camp out..

If you go on Wednesday and volunteer for early set up they will let you camp Wednesday night. Saves one night camping fees for someplace else.
    Mike

Clay
    Let's see I've covered places to stay for free, cheap food..oh yes..cheap gas..

http://gasprices.mapquest.com/index.jsp

..so now..what's your excuse...

p.s. I've been to your Rally..now how about attending ours..
    Last edited by Clay; 03-30-2011 at 02:03 PM.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Knew a guy once that went from PA to CA, on a Triumph, only bought a couple tanks of gas.

He would stop at the SERVICE station, you know when they did repairs too. He would offer to clean their rest rooms for some gas. As they could make more $$ changing tires and fan belts, most jumped at the offer, and gladly topped his tank and Jerry can.

Probably still could be done, but much harder.

Rally Rat
    Want to really save money: Stay Home

or
    Quit bitching and go have a good time. Life is too short to drink cheap beer

One of the best ways we've found to cut costs while traveling (car or bike) is to eat out as little as possible. On bike trips we shop at grocery stores and cook at camp. For the price of a sit down meal you can buy enough raw food to last for several meals, and it's usually better for you. It takes more effort but it saves money and adds to the experience. With practice you can get pretty good at it as evidenced by the attached picture. Pancakes are from scratch by the way and all done on a one burner stove.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Mulhern
    MOA# 56330
    '05 1200GS Big Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Ride on the GS Giant Gypsy Tour... 3 nights of camping, two dinners and two breakfasts, plus FREE beer... just $100.

more info in May issue of BMW ON.

ian

ps => it's really good to hear that you might be able to make it out here.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

From MARS
    Randy, if you can make it to Kansas, try rigging a sail with your sleeping bag. Should the wind blow you my way, you can camp, eat, and shower here. I'll even make sure the gas can is full so you can top off your tank.

Since the rally's out for me this year, you have to go so I can enjoy it vicariously.

Tom