Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Schuberth C3

C3

I bought my C3 about a month ago from JC Motors in California as a demo helmet and saved $100. The helmet was a large, white helmet that had been worn for under 200 miles by a writer doing a review for a magazine. It came packaged as new and didn't have a mark on it that I could see, with complete warranty and manual. I too noticed that it is a little more difficult to latch it than my C2 but other than that I love it. I've never had such a light and quiet helmet. Don

leesrt
    I used my new Schuby C3 today so here's my quick review, more details after work.

Let me start by saying I have a $200 helmet that I had to use until I was able to get a good helmet.
    The difference between the Schuby and any sub $300 helmet is night and day. The fit & finish, the quality and placement of the padding, the strength and design of common weak points is miles above all the other helmets I looked at.

FIT: At first, the helmet felt a bit tight around the forehead but after a 1 hour ride the padding started to settle and the discomfort changed to a secure comfortable feeling. My other helmet feels like something sitting on your head while the C3 feels like it's attached to your head. I would suggest getting a size on the low end of what you normally wear. I"m on the border of a large/extra large but with the C3 I fit in a large. I would say this is somewhere between a round and modest oval shape.

FINISH: I have the white color and while it is plain the white has a nice luster and gloss. I bumped a few things into it already and it does not scratch easy. My other helmets would scratch if you even though about something hitting it. Everything lines up and feels tight and strong. Even the air duct controls are solid. No corners were cut.

OPERATION: The shield has solid engagement at each level. There is a "city mode" which allows the shield to be barely cracked. The pin lock works great. It was humid and cool (50 degrees) this morning and I could see the outer edges outside the pin lock fogging. Vision is excellent and peripheral view is above average.
    The sun visor is easy to to index with thick gloves and you can adjust the height where ever you want it. Most others force you to chose open or close or from their limited detents.
    The chin bar will completely seal your chin if you leave the optional noise pad under the chin curtain. This can be removed easily by pulling it off the velcro and still leaves the main chin guard that always stays in place and will allow a bit more air. I'll try it this way on the way home.
    The chin strap is great. It's easy to engage once you align it for your size. Once aligned you can still ratchet adjust it with almost an inch of play. The padding under the strap is good and allows you to secure the strap with no gap and still be comfortable. The chin straps also attach to a strap on each side that goes around the side of your head and to the back to keep the helmet from popping off your head during an impact to the rear. Like I said, this helmet feels like its attached to your head.

AIRFLOW: The front chin vent allows a lot of air in to the shield. It has 2 positions open/closed. In the open position you have full flow and there's a bit of air noise. When you close the vent it still allows a small amount of air flow but the noise goes away like an on and off switch. This is one area I wish there was a half open position.
    The top vent is excellent. When you open the top vent you immediately feel the air hitting the top of your head and flowing back. You have closed, half open, and full open. In full open it feels like there's a blower on the top of your head, it's that good. In either position I detected no noticeable noise. Both vents are engineered so water will not get in the helmet during rain. The air vents out of the helmet at the rear neck area through vents in the padding. I'll summarize by saying this is the best airflow I've ever felt in a helmet.

NOISE: Very Quiet. The only weak point is the chin vent which produces noticeable wind noise but I think what makes it noticeable is the level of quiet. Your ears are placed in pockets that shelter out most of the noise. I still wore earplugs on the highway but around town they aren't needed. I turned my head in every direction at MPH and felt no drag.

WEIGHT: It's very light. Without getting specific I let the owner of my local shop hold it while it was still in it's carry bag and as soon as he grabbed it he said "holy cow thats light". It's that noticeable.

COMM: I installed my G4 and it was easier than installing the cradle on my other helmet. The C3 has ear cups for the speakers to go in and the whole ear area forms an over the ear headphone effect. I found I could turn the volume down a bit to achieve the same levels as my other helmet. I purchased the wired mic and I'm glad I did. I was able to attach the mic to the front portion of the cheek pad right where the chin guard comes down. This puts the mic about an inch from my mouth and it works perfectly. I can raise and lower the guard with no thoughts about the mic. The included velcro pad is soft and sticks to the outer edge of the pad great. Because it's soft it flexes with the pad and stay put. I used the stick on cradle mount and from prior experience it's more secure and streamlined than the clamp on. That sticky stuff won't come off. There was no wind noise from the external mounted G4.

The helmet bag is higher quality than most other cheap helmets...lol

I'll take pics tonight of the different features.

See above..... ^^^^^

I don't impress easily when it comes to quality helmets - I've worn and promoted them far too many years for a company to show me something that would make me consider them over my Shoei hemlets. I ordered the one I got from Revzilla specifically because of their no BS return policy. If it wasn't all it is cracked up to be, it was heading straight back to them for a full refund.

I am so impressed with the C3 that I just bought a C3W for Oldwhatshername.

Obviously, YMMV - but in my opinion - it won't.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

leesrt
    Ok, here's some pics.

Here's a view showing the position of the G4

From the side

The position of the wired mic

More coming

leesrt
    How the mic placement looks with guard down

General front view looking in

Rear view

Sun visor down

leesrt

chin vent open

and closed

Well, against my better judgement I ordered a helmet on line. Revzilla's no hassle return policy made it a no-brainer. With a vendor this customer oriented I only hope that I got the size right ( I did call and was advised to go up one size)
    I lead a boring life, I'm kinda excited to get a new helmet

'Forgiven'
    A little more $$ up front...to get a tool of a life time...

...at least for me at 61

God Bless America,
    pipestone

leesrt
    I learned something about this helmet while riding today. Opening the chin vent at highway speeds is noisier. I would say it bumps the noise level by a good 3-5db considering how noticeable the noise jump is. I found that running with the chin vent closed gets pretty good ventilation. It feels stuffier by comparison but after a while you realize it's ok. When you take a deep breath you can feel the cooler air entering your nose so it still lets cool ait in, just not to the same degree. If I get a little stuffy I open the chin vent for a few seconds and then close it, problem solved.

My helmet does not have the velcro on the chin strap pads. Does anyone else have the velcro or is it just mine? Revzilla shows the velcro in their video and the manual says it should be there. I'm wondering if they made a change to the US version or did the quality control take a break during my helmets trip down the line?

Now that it's breaking in it fits great.

Mine does not have velcro on the chin strap pieces.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by leesrt View Post
    My helmet does not have the velcro on the chin strap pads. Does anyone else have the velcro or is it just mine?
    EDIT: I mis-read -- I thought this was about the chin air dam; my Euro C3 does have velcro on the chin strap cover strips.
    Last edited by mneblett; 04-05-2011 at 02:02 AM.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

leesrt
    I guess when you pay good money for a product you get good customer service. I got a response from Schuberth first thing monday morning.

Here it is.

Mr. Tsonos,

Thank you for taking the time to write us with your concerns. Let me put your mind at ease and assure you that the Velcro type material was intentionally left off the DOT configured helmets. The information in the OwnerÔÇÖs Manual was prepared for global distribution, so refers to some features that are not applicable to the helmets that we get here.

While the Velcro could be seen as an additional convenience feature, the certification process required us to remove it. The ÔÇ£lawyersÔÇØ didnÔÇÖt want anyone to misunderstand its purpose and think that it was a stand-alone retention system.

I hope this information was helpful. Please feel free to contact me at any time if I can be of further assistance.

Phil Chapman
    Dealer Development
    Schuberth North America
    27111 Aliso Creek Road # 175
    Aliso Viejo CA 92656
    949-215-0893
    phil.chapman@schuberthnorthamerica.com

Love my C3

I've been riding with the C3 now for about a month and I love the helmet. I didn't get the Bluetooth setup because my FM hearing aids are Bluetooth compatible and with the C3 I can wear the aids under the helmet. I love the fact that it doesn't fog up. I ride year round and cracking the visor in the winter to reduce fogging isn't fun; with the C3 that isn't a problem.

Then only downside is it doesn't fit in my saddle bags or my top case. Without a traditional chinstrap and D ring you can't lock it on the bike. Not sure I would want to anyway consider the cost.

It is very quiet and another bonus is the aerodynamic design reducing the wind buffering of your head so now I can ride at 65 with the windscreen all the way down.
    "Keep the rubber side down"

I presume you're talking about an RT.

Open the chinbar and then put it in the saddlebag. Fits with the chinbar to the front or rear, as does my larger Shoei MultiTech.

Added: Also fits in my "smaller than BMW" Cogo top case.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

leesrt
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    I presume you're talking about an RT.

Open the chinbar and then put it in the saddlebag. Fits with the chinbar to the front or rear, as does my larger Shoei MultiTech.

Added: Also fits in my "smaller than BMW" Cogo top case.
    If he has an XL or bigger it may not fit. There's quite a jump in shell size from L to XL.