Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: In need of quality mutimeter tool

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar
    I'm sure there are other reliable products out there but I can recommend Fluke multimeters as a robust and easy to use product:

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/products/categorydmm

I suspect it's more than what you need but the uses go beyond just automotive work (e.g., household). Have fun.

Kent

I love their unofficial motto:

If it works, it's a Fluke!

(Excellent equipment, wish I owned one. But the RS meter I bought when I was a teenager just won't die, so...)
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Thanks Everyone! You have been a big help!

Mark

I would recommend Extech. Lots of people have recommended Fluke and there is nothing wrong with Fluke, but you can get a Extech at about 1/3 less that has as good specs as the Fluke. If you turn both the Fluke and the Extech over, they are both made in Asia! Extech is not as well known as Fluke, but quality wise they compare favorably. Extech also does a lot of private label stuff, you may have an instrument made by Extech and not know it!

http://www.extech.com/instruments/

Steve

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    +1 on Fluke meters!

I still have my Fluke 75 series digital multimeter. It has worked perfectly for 25 years or more now. Easy on batteries too! But it's too large for traveling.

I cannot find the Radio Shack catalog number 22-820 digital pocket multimeter listed on their site any longer but if you can find one, it is perfect for carrying in your tool kit on the bike. Folds up with a solid rubber cover and has everything you need for road trip repairs. I think it was $29.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Fluke is certainly good stuff- I've got one of the fancier ones and need its precision and accuracy for checking oxygen cell voltages on my diving rebreather.
    It gets used on my bike or car or whatever when its handy but I also own several cheapies from Radio Shack (a nearly 40 yr old analog one), Harbor Freight, etc. I carry a small cheapy digital on the bike "just in case I need it". If all you're doing is troubleshooting a bike pretty much anything is OK.

I want a Fluke!

Ditto! It's about the only RS item that I've purchased that has lasted more than a few months.

tsp
    swriding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarrylRi View Post
    I love their unofficial motto:

If it works, it's a Fluke!

(Excellent equipment, wish I owned one. But the RS meter I bought when I was a teenager just won't die, so...)