Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Don't buy insurance from a green lizzard

Don't buy insurance from a green lizzard

There has been a discussion going on for several days on the LD rider list about Geico Insurence Company.

Basicly, what it boils down to is that if you ride your bike over 500 miles in one day and then have an accident, they can deny your claim.

It also seems that in some states there is a possibility that if you use a radar detector on your bike, you are also eligible for cancelation/denial of claims.

Check your policies!

The word is that Progressive and Dairyland don't have any of these exclusions.

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Moondog
    Yep, thats what my policy says but I can't ride over 200 miles before my back is killing me so I am not going to worry about it

I do both on a daily basis so I'll stick just with Allstate.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    The Only Vehicles I Own

Steve
    I thought the Geico exclusion was only for contests which call for riding more than 500 miles in a day.

Moondog
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I thought the Geico exclusion was only for contests which call for riding more than 500 miles in a day.
    My policy reads: "(e) any contest which sanctions continuous riding
    for 24 or more hours and/or mileage accumulation
    in excess of 500 miles per 24 hour period."

I suppose, reading this again, both fall under "contest which sanctions". So if I am riding over 500 miles in a day just on a whim then I'm covered. Never did over 500 miles and doubt I ever will.

geico has always been anti-radar detector. which is why, even though i don't use an RD, i would not do business with them.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Steve
    I won't do business with them because their commercials annoy the dickens out of me.

Cheap

I use the company which will give me the cheapest premiums for the coverage. When I rode only vintage bikes, I used Hagerty now I use GEICO. I also use a radar detector.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Old news

I have 6 vehicles insured through GEICO and all of them have detectors.

I had to do a google search to find out if GEICO refuses coverage to people who own radar detectors. It was not in my policy statements and the internet only showed that GEICO tried to pull this in Maryland and that the Insurance Institute stopped them from doing it. If any of you have better information, post it.

Until then, I will regard it as an urban legend.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDOCKERY132445 View Post
    I have 6 vehicles insured through GEICO and all of them have detectors.

I had to do a google search to find out if GEICO refuses coverage to people who own radar detectors. It was not in my policy statements and the internet only showed that GEICO tried to pull this in Maryland and that the Insurance Institute stopped them from doing it. If any of you have better information, post it.

Until then, I will regard it as an urban legend.
    I learned in 31+ years handling claims that if there is no exclusion in the policy sent to you, they can't deny coverage. The state insurance departments are real picky about what can and cannot be denied. When you have a problem, a call to the Bureau of Insurance can move mountains.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I'm sorry, I misposted that. The radar detector questions were either verbal or on an application form. If you admitted to owning one, they would deny you coverage.

And yes, the exclusion states being involved in any contest or event which involves riding over 500 miles in 24 hours.

Pretty much voids any IBA ride and many rallys.

I would hazzard a guess that anyone riding their bike over 500 miles in one day could also be denied coverage.

IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

Quote Originally Posted by 460Jetboat View Post
    I would hazzard a guess that anyone riding their bike over 500 miles in one day could also be denied coverage.

No, you are wrong. Policy exclusions are very specific because the general rule in contract law is that any ambiguity is held against the proponent (in this case the insurance company), and most states have severe penalty provisions on the companies for improperly denying valid claims. The GEICO exclusion is specific to sanctioned contest rides some of which are infamous for killing riders.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    I won't do business with them because their commercials annoy the dickens out of me.
    Gekko , Caveman, Eyeballs ?
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

I wouldn't by a candy-bar from Geico. Back in the 80's (early 90's?) Car and Driver did a piece on how Geico was providing grants to local police forces to allow them to purchase traffic enforcement equipment (radar guns and the like).

The lizard can go screw.
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Quote Originally Posted by xp8103 View Post
    Geico was providing grants to local police forces to allow them to purchase traffic enforcement equipment (radar guns and the like).
    Seems reasonable to me. I think traffic enforcement is a good thing, even if I do occasionally break the rules myself.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost