Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saddle bag liners

I've been using canvas book/tote bags. They come in lots of sizes, have carry handles on them. No zippers to jam or break.

What is the advantage of "real" luggage liners anyway, aside from the higher price?

P
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
    R1150R Rockster, Limited Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by lionlady View Post
    I've been using canvas book/tote bags. They come in lots of sizes, have carry handles on them. No zippers to jam or break.

What is the advantage of "real" luggage liners anyway, aside from the higher price?

P
    They look cool and you get to spend more money (In the BMW tradition!) D'UH! Geez....
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Kathy's are the ones I have, and I bought them from Bobs. They are made with Cordura, and are really tailored exactly to the side cases so you can use every square inch of the space in the case. My cases are expandable and the liners have a zippered gusset that expands the liners to fit the cases when they are expanded. I really like the expandable feature, by the way, because I use the cases on the bike nearly all the time, and when they are not expanded the cases look a lot more compact. When it is time to go on a trip, expanding both cases gives you a lot more room for the extra gear you need on a trip.

I was a little concerned about the expandable feature from the standpoint of keeping the water out with that expansion seam there, but I have ridden a number of times in real downpours without a drop inside the cases. But that brings up another benefit to the liners. Even if your cases do leak, the liners are waterproof.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Quote Originally Posted by lionlady View Post

P
    I would say the biggest advantage is that they fit the cases exactly so you don't have any unusable space. Another advantage when you camp or go in the motel is you have two liners to carry in instead of an assortment.

I do use small nylon stuff sacks inside the liners to organize everything so I don't have to root around looking for things. My liners also have long narrow zippered pocket on the outside of the liner that corresponds to the bottom of the case that wraps under the exhaust. Those pockets are very convenient for small items you want to be able to get to quickly without digging into the liner (ear plugs, mp3 player, side stand puck, etc.).
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Quote Originally Posted by bob88061 View Post
    Might want to look at these:
    http://www.tlcproducts.com/servlet/C...s?category=BMW

Inexpensive, USA made, and you can have them Embroiled with your initials
    I've always used Kathy's. However, I decided to try out a set of these "Cheap Charlie" liners. I couldn't be more pleased in the 8-9 months I've had them - over more than 20,000 miles. Name on the bags is a plus but these are just fine and fit the bags quite nicely. Only thing I'd like to see on them is a shoulder strap.

These are really similar to the Kathy's I have for my other bikes [no longer have the other bikes - still use the Kathy's for light travel] and collapse when empty but for me, that's a plus.

Well spent $40....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Old, Ugly, feet stink too

Rka

Just bought a set of RKA liners for a 2011 RT.

$85 for the 49 Liter

$105 for both side cases

Will post images and review once they arrive.

I had reall good service from a set of RKA bags a few years ago.

TLC Bag Liners

I had the RKA bag liners on two prior bikes (Hondas) but when I got my expensive BMW touring bike I had no more money so I got the TLC bag liners. For the money they are great and actually have more features than the RKAs that cost twice as much. Their purpose for me is pack them in either the house or hotel and lock in the bike. At the hotel I take the liners and always leave the bags on the bike. Plus your stuff stays cleaner in the liner than simply inside the bag.

Also I want to add that I have about 40 different canvas and nylon bags that I got at conferences that I used to attend but I don't use them on the bikes because using something that is not custom made wastes precious space in your saddle bags.

Hope this helps,
    tsp
    Blog stuff: swriding.blogspot.com

Freebies....

A perfect fit and the color ensures that no-one is going to rip me off

Quote Originally Posted by tsperez View Post
    Also I want to add that I have about 40 different canvas and nylon bags that I got at conferences that I used to attend but I don't use them on the bikes because using something that is not custom made wastes precious space in your saddle bags.
    I agree with that. I am reminded everytime I take a trip that even the largest side cases have only limited capacity and with custom liners you get every square inch.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Quote Originally Posted by gblawler View Post
    I agree with that. I am reminded everytime I take a trip that even the largest side cases have only limited capacity and with custom liners you get every square inch.
    Depends upon the bag and the case. Plus, not all custom liners are equal. Case in point... the BMW liners for the GS vario bags are at least 3 times thicker than any other liner and noticeably reduce your carrying capacity. Yet they are custom made for the bike.

The plus side to the BMW liners is that when the vario case falls off the bike and shatters into eleventy seven pieces after being used as a the ball in a game of automobile soccer the very thick BMW bag holds your contents together, suitable for lashing to the luggage rack to get home.

^^ Well that SUCKS....
    Phil W2GE
    New Sweden BMW Riders

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Depends upon the bag and the case. Plus, not all custom liners are equal. Case in point... the BMW liners for the GS vario bags are at least 3 times thicker than any other liner and noticeably reduce your carrying capacity. Yet they are custom made for the bike.
    That is a good point. Did your insurance covered that side case? The only liners I have had are Kathy's, so I did not know the BMW liners are that thick. Kathy's liners are not thick, but they are made of Cordura, so I would hope they would hold up reasonably well.

Another thing I noticed about Kathy's liners is there is a left and a right liner. They are not interchangable. I believe I read somewhere that the BMW liner is the same for both the left and right. The part of the side case that wraps under the muffler on each side of the Dakar is tapered from front to back, so there is a left and right side case (they are not interchangable). Kathy's liners are tapered to match side case. Obviously the BMW liners are not tapered to match the side case if they are interchangable, so you would have to lose a little bit of storage.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

The TLC bags are fitted for right/left and model specific. $39.95 with custom embroidery!!! That's all I'm sayin...

AMAZING DEAL.

(and it ain't cause I'm cheap.. I did get the newest R1200RT BMW tankbag... )
    Phil W2GE
    New Sweden BMW Riders

That is a good point. Did your insurance covered that side case? The only liners I have had are Kathy's, so I did not know the BMW liners are that thick. Kathy's liners are not thick, but they are made of Cordura, so I would hope they would hold up reasonably well.
    I replaced the BMW liners with Kathy's. That was a big improvement with respect to storage space over the BMW liners. But I was never happy with the vario cases and eventually sold them, putting Zega cases on the bike. Liability insurance only here, the replacement case came out of my pocket.

15. 04-01-2011, 01:56 PM
    Reason
    wrong brand!

Kathy's are the ones I have, and I bought them from Bobs. They are made with Cordura, and are really tailored exactly to the side cases so you can use every square inch of the space in the case. My cases are expandable and the liners have a zippered gusset that expands the liners to fit the cases when they are expanded. I really like the expandable feature, by the way, because I use the cases on the bike nearly all the time, and when they are not expanded the cases look a lot more compact. When it is time to go on a trip, expanding both cases gives you a lot more room for the extra gear you need on a trip.

I was a little concerned about the expandable feature from the standpoint of keeping the water out with that expansion seam there, but I have ridden a number of times in real downpours without a drop inside the cases. But that brings up another benefit to the liners. Even if your cases do leak, the liners are waterproof.
    Have these & agree on all counts!!!!!!!!