Thread: Gear Guide for Big Girls

Gear Guide for Big Girls

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Talking

Thanks Voni!

I was just having a discussion with a friend about women's gear for full-figured gals - she ordered a pair of XXL pants that didn't fit her but fit a friend who was probably a size 10!

I am passing it along to her too!
    Sarah B
    Milwaukee,WI
    '09 R1200GS 'Starbuck' my big silver baby
    '13 K1600GTL Graphite Grey... yet unnamed!

Same here;

The guy's wear is sized about the same way! I bought a 3X pant that would fit a size 38 waist in mens wear(Tour Master)? Go figure. Good luck. Randy

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    The guy's wear is sized about the same way! I bought a 3X pant that would fit a size 38 waist in mens wear(Tour Master)? Go figure. Good luck. Randy
    Hearing this makes me feel better, thanks!
    My Darien pants shrink in storage every winter...
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Where does this road go?? Gottago's Avatar

boots

I'm having trouble finding boots that fit my calves and ankle. My calves are large and my right ankle is larger than normal because through the years it's been broken 2 times and sprained countless times. Anyone know of any riding boots out there with for larger calves?
    "If they are running you out of town
    get in front of the crowd and make it
    look like a parade!"

Santiago Boot

I got the Santiago boot because of the generous Velcro flap over the calf and the adjustable locking buckles. I find them extremely comfortable in all temperatures as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gottago View Post
    I'm having trouble finding boots that fit my calves and ankle. My calves are large and my right ankle is larger than normal because through the years it's been broken 2 times and sprained countless times. Anyone know of any riding boots out there with for larger calves?
    Try on a pair of BMW Allaround boots.
    http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44790

They zip up and have a very large velcro flap. You might be able to partially zip up and then adjust with the large flap.

I have narrow feet and skinny legs, so I actually pull the flap around more to fit me. I wish I could say I am still skinny but I'm not.

The boots are at least partially adjustable and might work out for you. They have a Gore-Tex membrane to keep your feet reasonably dry in the rain.

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

I never think of BMW because of the cost but these are right in line with other manufacturers. I currently have a pair of Sidi sympantx but they are starting to leak and are quite beat up. Looked for Sidis again but couldn't seem to find any just like my old ones. My current ones use a gortex gater with rapid close cord inside then all velcro on outside. No zipper. The zipper seems to be the problem closing over the ankle.
    thanks, both boots look promising, I'll check them out.
    look like a parade!"

If you're happy with the Sidi boots, you might want to look at these:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-c...ite-boots.html

made by Sidi, speed laces, no zipper. I tried on a pair while at Aerostich a couple of years ago. Very comfy.

My current pair of Sidi's (Way Tepors) are going to be retired at the end of this season and the Combat Lites will be replacing them.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by flymymbz View Post
    If you're happy with the Sidi boots, you might want to look at these:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-c...ite-boots.html

made by Sidi, speed laces, no zipper. I tried on a pair while at Aerostich a couple of years ago. Very comfy.

My current pair of Sidi's (Way Tepors) are going to be retired at the end of this season and the Combat Lites will be replacing them.

I did look at these but was a little concerned about the buckle if it isn't adjustable. Also not waterproof. But plan on checking these out on our way down through Duluth.
    Thanks again.
    look like a parade!"

Be sure to take a ride on the rocking motorcycle at Aerostitch.
    Sharon
    '07 R1200RT (my favorite!); '12 Yamaha Super Tenere (El Gordo); '07 Suzuki DR650SE (!);
    '59 R 26 (my first)

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonseal View Post
    I got the Santiago boot because of the generous Velcro flap over the calf and the adjustable locking buckles. I find them extremely comfortable in all temperatures as well.
    I have the massive German calf/ankle syndrome.
    My boot of choice is the dead-dry-all-day-in-the-rain Daytona GoreTex- they're built like skiboots,
    with an inner and outer boot, and they have a massive Velcro adjustible pleat in the back.
    Price point is high, but I find them completely reliable (I am on my second pair in 12 years)
    and I have a new pair already on hand for when the current ones need replacement.

(I borrowed these pics from an excellent writeup elsewhere with more detailed pics and order info,
    I'd be glad to PM the link to any interested parties)

BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Dachary

Dainese Visoke

I have the same problem, and when my boots died on day 2 of a 4-month trip through the Americas, I hit RevZilla in Philly and tried on every pair of boots they had in stock...

The only pair of boots that had enough adjustment to fit in the calf and still fit in the footbed were the Dainese Visoke D-WP Boots. The price point is high but they're waterproof, very protective and literally the only pair of boots in the entire place that would fit me in the calf. I loved them, though - they gave me a bit more height which helped with maneuvering my bike at low speed/uneven terrain.

I feel your pain! Good luck!

possible solution

http://www.teizms.com/revolution-wom...hogrlk7hhkvp55

Custom made to fit exactly to your body.

Check out how you have to get it sized on sizing chart.

While I am a guy and should not comment on such matters this looks like the ticket. Albeit a slightly pricey one.

My wife likes the concept but does not like the one piece thing. Would do it if they did a pants and jacket as separates.
    Mike G
    Northern Illinois Packer fan
    Bikes: 2009 R1200RT