Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Camping Fan

Kris G
    I don't know if you have bought your tent yet, but If not, pay attention to ventilation. I know this because we are in the laborious process of choosing a tent and bought a copy of Backpacker magazine's 2011 Gear Guide. The Marmot Boreas 3P is reviewed as 'best ventilation'. 'like sleeping under a celing fan'. Since our camping will be in desert southwest and Big Bend this will most likely be our tent.

Also, some years ago camped down on the river in Big Bend and it was 103 degrees at midnight. I told my husband, "this story has two endings: one, it was the most miserable night we have ever had, or two, we packed up and went home. So which ending will it be". We packed up and went home to Ft Davis. Being older, wiser, and with slightly more jingle in our pockets, we will be buying summer stuff, not the tent, sleeping bags, etc., rated for Mt Everest!
    Last edited by Kikallez; 03-23-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Kris screwed with her post

GREGFUESS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Faria View Post
    That's why I live in Texas. I've heard Big Bend National Park is only $25/night for camping. Which social program are you paying for???
    I just stayed in Big Bend, and you will not be disappointed. What a fantastic place to experience. The night skies are incredible. The first morning we woke up, a herd of javalina were meandering through the camp site. But we were there in February, when nighttime temperature were in the 40s. In the summer, you will typically cook yourselves in a tent at night.

We already had an annual park pass, and the camping was $14 per night. After seeing some truly exhorbanent prices in other places, BBNP is a bargain, and quite underutilized.

I think what may have caused the $25 fee was the entrance plus camping fee. An annual pass is $80, and is a bargain if you use it even occasionally.

Slow & Easy
    Thats god to hear abt BB. It has been years since my last visit. I plan to stay in the basin. My tent is an REI and can't remember the model. It's a summer tent with mosquito netting starting abt a foot off the bottom and it goes to the top of the dome. Has a rain fly for bad weather.

Wished I could backpack agn Kris. To old, bad shoulders, knees and the BOSS(AKA the wife) wont do it..

Kris G
    Oh we aren't backpacking, Dave. We just figured that backpacking gear would work great on our bikes. Our knees wouldn't handled it either.

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    Maybe you can find this locally? (...and I don't mean the woman)

Sleepbreeze

The Sleepbreeze can use both mains and battery power. The Sleepbreeze needs a 12 volt dc supply and draws approximately 0.35 amps.

What power supplies do you provide?

We ship the Sleepbreeze with a mains power supply unit (PSU) as standard. We stockPSUs with US-style and standard UK plugs. The power supplies are voltage switching (a 240 volt PSU works on 110 volts and vice versa) so can be used with a travel adaptor when you travel to countries with other mains voltage levels.

Is there a battery option?

Yes. We provide a battery accessory which can be used, for example when no mains power is available. The battery accessory holds 8 x AA batteries.

Slow & Easy
    The sleep breeze is an interesting idea. But, I've been to BB in the summer years ago and I'm still thinking a fan to keep the flies/bugs off. I know I'm gonna be sleeping on top of the bag until it gets cool.

Because it was so dry when we were there the bugs zeroed into on ANY moisture. They commited suicide in the cooking pot while on the burner. A little extra meat....mmmmmmm good

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Faria View Post
    The sleep breeze is an interesting idea. But, I've been to BB in the summer years ago and I'm still thinking a fan to keep the flies/bugs off. I know I'm gonna be sleeping on top of the bag until it gets cool.

Because it was so dry when we were there the bugs zeroed into on ANY moisture. They commited suicide in the cooking pot while on the burner. A little extra meat....mmmmmmm good
    Yum... Winged protein.
    Doesn't your tent have screening?

Regardless... In that kinda heat getting off the ground helps too.
    Have you considered hammock solutions to the heat?

Swinging in the breeze does help.

Slow & Easy
    You know I hadn't thought abt a hammock. I think I've seen them you can get with mosquito netting. I've got a hammock in my bk yard. Have to try it. At my age with most my weight out front a hammock might be dangerous if i roll on my side.

Hammock Camping 101

Just found this site...

I even bookmarked it for myself... Lotsa good info.

Take a look =HERE=