Thread: Zumo 550 touchscreen quit working

Zumo 550 touchscreen quit working

Before I send my 550 off to Garmin for repairs, is there anything I can do to try and clear a problem with the touchscreen on the unit? None of the screen functions work. All of the normal pushbuttons function, but you can't select any options on the screen. When it boots up (first pic), the "View Map" button is highlighted. Pushing on "Where To" or anywhere else on the screen will temporarily highlight it until you let go of where you selected. If you use the selection pushbutton on the left side of the unit to make screen selections, it will scroll through normally. However, when you get to the map page (second pic), the Menu button on the screen does not work, and I notice that the biker is permanently highlighted. Is there any thing I can try to fix this? I did the usual "pop the battery out and try again" method, but that didn't fix it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2004 R1150RS, forming a search committee to add another.

Here's that 2nd pic to go with my original post:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mine was doing that and I tried everything. From holding the power button down for about 10-20 seconds seconds till it rebooted to cleaning the screen with warm water.
    Still had that orange locked up screen. Called Garmin Tech support the moment they opened up Monday AM and they walked me thru a test, a reset and then had me send it to them. Depends on how old it is on how they handle a repair or replacement. Mine had been replaced less than a year before for another issue. I got a new one back at no cost.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Rally Rat
    I know this is a real long shot, but remove the battery and reinstall. This can fix many problems if it is software related.

Nope. Tried the battery trick twice, but to no avail. Steve, I'll give Garmin a call first thing tomorrow. Looks like the warranty is one year. I just went to the MyGarmin and seems I registered it the end of April 2009. That makes the thing not quite two years old. Hopefully this won't cost me any major coin to fix this. Man... nothing lasts forever anymore.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermyke View Post
    Nope. Tried the battery trick twice, but to no avail. Steve, I'll give Garmin a call first thing tomorrow. Looks like the warranty is one year. I just went to the MyGarmin and seems I registered it the end of April 2009. That makes the thing not quite two years old. Hopefully this won't cost me any major coin to fix this. Man... nothing lasts forever anymore.
    I think it cost me $150 to get the same problem fixed. I had two 550's and I kinda lose track, so to speak.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Here's an option that is cheaper if you feel comfortable opening the unit up. I did it and it wasn't too tough.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528905
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

I had the same problem, sent it back and they sent me a reconditioned one. Cost $160.00
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

WoodButcher - saw it on ADV as well - so Ditto
    '91 K75S, '06 K1200S
    BMWMOA #119240
    YB # 1463
    NRA #154764753

$150, and I got a new looking unit

My 550 started doing unexpected things about a year ago (at the age of 2-1/2). I called them, got a return authorization, and sent it in with a check for $150.

I was leaving the next day for MX, so I asked them to ship it to a waypoint mailing address. They did that, on time, so I had it for the trip to Banditland.

For $150 I got free shipping back to me, updated firmware, and fairly new maps. The unit sent to me looked to be entirely new.

Garmin has had issues with touchscreen life. The screen will start sending the processor false 'touches' and it gets worse, fast.

I was quite satisfied with their service and handling. I thought the $150 was somewhat high, but I don't know their costs.

The $150 is just their standard repair for a 550 out of warranty. The swap I did on my own was about $40 once you figure in shipping. digitizer and screen. Would have been $15 cheaper to do just the digitizer.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Reset

My Zumo's screen would go dark, not power up and/or freeze if the brightness was set at higher than 40%.

The owners manual says for a hard reset, hold the power button and plus key at the same time.

Registered User bluegrasspicker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beemermyke View Post
    Before I send my 550 off to Garmin for repairs, is there anything I can do to try and clear a problem with the touchscreen on the unit? None of the screen functions work. All of the normal pushbuttons function, but you can't select any options on the screen. When it boots up (first pic), the "View Map" button is highlighted. Pushing on "Where To" or anywhere else on the screen will temporarily highlight it until you let go of where you selected. If you use the selection pushbutton on the left side of the unit to make screen selections, it will scroll through normally. However, when you get to the map page (second pic), the Menu button on the screen does not work, and I notice that the biker is permanently highlighted. Is there any thing I can try to fix this? I did the usual "pop the battery out and try again" method, but that didn't fix it.
    I happen to be cleaning out the closet and ran across my zumo 550 quick reference guide.
    On the last page it says to hold the power button for 1 minute and the Calibration screen will appear. Follow the on-screen instructions

Hope this helps

Tom
    Tom Barrie
    http://bluegrasspicker.blogspot.com/
    2012 K1600GTL
    2002 R1150RT (sold)

Yeah, I tried that, Bluegrasspicker. Wouldn't work because the touchscreen is inop. Thanks for that tip anyway. Looks like I need to call Garmin and cough up the $150 that I'll likely pay. Got a Georgia Mountain Rally to attend the end of next month!