Thread: F800 ABS brake flush

F800 ABS brake flush

I see there is no tech forum for F800s. Anyone have a link to a brake fluid flush for this bike?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Ther's nothing really special involved to do it. It's pretty much a standard motorcycle ABS system.

Not sure if it has the same front resevoir as the ST and GS, if so, you need a special tool to do the cap removal. I've heard it can be done without but it tricky. There's a coulpe of locking tabs that prevent the lid from unscrewing, sort of like a childproof medicine bottle lid. The tool looks basically like just a large thin open end spanner. It slip into the gap below the lid and holds the tab in so the lid can be turned to unscrew it. I made my own from a piece of aluminum sheet, they can be purchased premade too.

After that, just use whatever method suits you to do the fluid flush.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    Ther's nothing really special involved to do it. It's pretty much a standard motorcycle ABS system.

Not sure if it has the same front resevoir as the ST and GS, if so, you need a special tool to do the cap removal. I've heard it can be done without but it tricky. There's a coulpe of locking tabs that prevent the lid from unscrewing, sort of like a childproof medicine bottle lid. The tool looks basically like just a large thin open end spanner. It slip into the gap below the lid and holds the tab in so the lid can be turned to unscrew it. I made my own from a piece of aluminum sheet, they can be purchased premade too.

After that, just use whatever method suits you to do the fluid flush.
    It just takes two people. One can press both tabs inward with a couple of little screwdrivers while the second turns the cap. Voni and I did it last week.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 03-21-2011 at 02:07 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Thanks guys. I didn't know if it had a separated system like the whizzy RT. And the next to useless Haynes manual says to take it to a dealer since you need the BMW diagnostic tool to do it. When did Haynes manuals become so brain dead? I have one for my 1989 Chevy that is great, even describing how to build special tools. Now, they are just glorified manuals on how to change the oil....
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '05 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

See the first append on this thread for a pic. of the BMW-approved tool,
    see the second append for an "improvised" tool that works well, cost nothing and doesn't take up as much space in the tool roll

http://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...p-Removal-Tool