Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to eat while in Bloomburg???

Restaurant in Frackville . . .

I forgot the name but there is a good Penn/Dutch restarant there. Going w off of I 81 about three miles on the right. Good food.
    See you there!
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT
    '11 S1000RR

Greetings
    Brass Pelican Restaurant
    All you can eat buckwheat cakes! This is a "sour" cake, and a local specialty, which has been using the same starter for 30 years or so.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...nsylvania.html
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Statdawg took me there as we were researching GS Giant locations.

on the buckwheat pancakes.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Ring baloney. Country Store brand is relatively local to Bloomsburg.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Steve
    That stuff is vile.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Ring baloney. Country Store brand is relatively local to Bloomsburg.
    Greetings
    Do you mean The Country Store in Pennsdale, PA http://www.countrystoremeats.com/about-us.aspx We like their slab bacon, sliced thick maybe cooked over an open fire. The Pennsdale store is a nice meat market the latest special is 3 Little Pigs (a bacon wrapped pork chop stuffed with sauage).
    Some of the The Country Store products can be bought in the Bloomsburg area. The Short Stop Mart in Lightstreet on RT 487 carrier Country Store and some other great deals (whole filet mignon for $7.99 an lb Very nice) Gotta watch their sign.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    That stuff is vile.
    Yeah..........but some of these guys liked the Chicken & Waffles. They'll be in hog heaven when they try Chicken Corn Soup
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by Motocamper View Post
    Greetings
    Do you mean The Country Store in Pennsdale, PA http://www.countrystoremeats.com/about-us.aspx We like their slab bacon, sliced thick maybe cooked over an open fire. The Pennsdale store is a nice meat market the latest special is 3 Little Pigs (a bacon wrapped pork chop stuffed with sauage).
    Some of the The Country Store products can be bought in the Bloomsburg area. The Short Stop Mart in Lightstreet on RT 487 carrier Country Store and some other great deals (whole filet mignon for $7.99 an lb Very nice) Gotta watch their sign.
    Tony
    Yes, that's the place. Many of their products are available through-out PA. Relative to hotdogs, the Hoffman whites from NY are much better.

I always try to get some Shoe fly Pie to bring back home when I am in the area. Always loved it when I was younger but now it seems my sweet tooth is not as sweet depraved and in need of a fix as it used to be..........

Still yearn for it, Who has the best variant of it in the area?

Store bought is store bought, there must be a real good premium pie down there.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by enfoman View Post
    I always try to get some Shoe fly Pie to bring back home when I am in the area.
    That's also vile. And while I'm loath to describe any as "best," you could get home made ones from Amish roadside stands.

That's also vile. And while I'm loath to describe any as "best," you could get home made ones from Amish roadside stands.
    Oh God, don't do it........That crap is made for suburbanite tourists and worse than Wonderbread. The Amish are smart business people and those bake goods are made with the lowest possible grade of ingredients. Seriously, the bread has the texture of Wonderbread.

Steve
    Oh God, don't do it........That crap is made for suburbanite tourists and worse than Wonderbread. The Amish are smart business people and those bake goods are made with the lowest possible grade of ingredients. Seriously, the bread has the texture of Wonderbread.
    That may be true for Lancaster County Amish who are completely touristified, but I go to the stands in Cumberland and Perry counties where the Amish are still feral.

That may be true for Lancaster County Amish who are completely touristified, but I go to the stands in Cumberland and Perry counties where the Amish are still feral.
    Perry County ................. The land that makes West Virginia look urbane...

Seriously, I live further away from Lancaster than you so my local Amish should be even less commercial (by your logic). In any event, the food isn't good. My ex-pat sister bought some of it last summer during a visit and we dumped it in the trash after the first taste. Seriously, the bread had the same texture as Wonder/Strohman/Holsum bread.

Steve
    Perry County ................. The land that makes West Virginia look urbane...

Seriously, I live further away from Lancaster than you so my local Amish should be even less commercial (by your logic). In any event, the food isn't good. My ex-pat sister bought some of it last summer during a visit and we dumped it in the trash after the first taste. Seriously, the bread had the same texture as Wonder/Strohman/Holsum bread.
    As a native born West Virginian, I resemble that remark. I'll be zooming through Perry County about an hour from now.

There are some nice Amish/Mennonite farm stands--both produce and baked goods--along Rt 75.

As a native born West Virginian, I resemble that remark. I'll be zooming through Perry County about an hour from now.

There are some nice Amish/Mennonite farm stands--both produce and baked goods--along Rt 75.
    75 runs thru Franklin and Juniata counties. 74 runs thru Perry Co.