Thread: 2009 GS - Mounting Rotopax 1g fuel/water

2009 GS - Mounting Rotopax 1g fuel/water

Picked up two 1 gallon canisters (fuel + water) for my trip this summer (water for camping, fuel more for piece of mind than anything else). I've got the standard Vario sidecases, and I noticed that they fit almost perfectly inside the lid. My thought is to use a simple velcro strap to hold them in place, one on each side, keeping the weight nice and low. The Varios are rated at 20 lbs, and as long as I am careful about what else I put in the cases, I think this will work out well. Am I overlooking something? Is there a reason I should avoid doing it this way? Ideally I'd pick up different (ie. a bit more rugged) panniers and mount them externally, but that's not financially viable at the moment. Christmas gift to myself next year, perhaps

By the way, I've scoured these forums over the cold winter months planning and prepping for this summer. I haven't posted much, but have learned a lot from everyone here, so thanks for that

The only thing I can think of is what happens when one leaks? If they are inside with clothes or food, it could be a disaster. Also, I haven't seen a plastic gas can that doesn't smell, no matter how careful you are filling it. So I'd expect the gas smell to get on everything in the side case.

So, for me, I'd at least pack the gas on the outside.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA

Quote Originally Posted by robbflynn View Post
    Picked up two 1 gallon canisters (fuel + water) for my trip this summer (water for camping, fuel more for piece of mind than anything else). I've got the standard Vario sidecases, and I noticed that they fit almost perfectly inside the lid. My thought is to use a simple velcro strap to hold them in place, one on each side, keeping the weight nice and low. The Varios are rated at 20 lbs, and as long as I am careful about what else I put in the cases, I think this will work out well. Am I overlooking something? Is there a reason I should avoid doing it this way? Ideally I'd pick up different (ie. a bit more rugged) panniers and mount them externally, but that's not financially viable at the moment. Christmas gift to myself next year, perhaps

By the way, I've scoured these forums over the cold winter months planning and prepping for this summer. I haven't posted much, but have learned a lot from everyone here, so thanks for that
    Hi Robb, glad to hear your enjoying the forums. I'm not a big fan of having fuel mixed with other items such as clothing or food. When/if there is a leak or expansion from heat spending the rest of the trip stinking of gas-well you know. If the water leaks your just wet and it will dry. I'm going to move your post over to the Gear section that way you will have more views other than the gang in Hex/Cam. Good luck, Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Hi Robb,

Also glad the Forum is helping answer questions for you.
    I wouldn't put the fuel in a sidecase for the same reasons mentioned. Just like not being a good idea to put a container in the trunk of a car. Vapors often will get out and could pose a hazard of ignition inside the case, or as it is opened in the wrong place. There are outside mounting options for many sizes of gas jugs,even with the Varios.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Thanks for the feedback, gang. I'll do a bit more research on external mounting.

best rest has a mount that replaces the passenger pegs. not cheap but a good setup to carry fuel externally and low.

You might be able to fabricate something that goes on the passenger peg. I came up with this setup for my Triumph:

Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

TravelsWithBarley.com
    That's a nice job, Dave! Really nice bike too.

Having seen both the Rotopax and BestRest products in use, I prefer the Rotopax for durability and slim design. My order (one gallon gas and water with mounts) arrives next week and I'll mount them to the bulkhead in my sidecar. Last summer I carried water in gallon jugs and my poor dog had to put up with them rolling around on his bed if I braked hard.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Neat tanks:)

I saw these first, just this past January in Death Valley, as many many bikers used these on dirt bikes and GSs. These are really neat how they mount. HOW much are they. I did not ask anybody and had forgot the name of the product, so thanks for sharing. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    That's a nice job, Dave! Really nice bike too.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I saw these first, just this past January in Death Valley, as many many bikers used these on dirt bikes and GSs. These are really neat how they mount. HOW much are they. I did not ask anybody and had forgot the name of the product, so thanks for sharing. Randy
    Randy and all, I don't know on the cost but they are being used in a big way in the ATV industry. Especially on the larger units such as the side by sides. Most of the ATV catalogs have them. Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Yes, I saw the Peg Packers mentioned in another thread, but I'm concerned about the clearance both when paddling the bike and just in general for the big ol' boats at the end of my legs Plus, I'm not willing to spend $125 apiece for them.

I may end up just lashing one Roto to the top of each Vario sidecase since I won't need to go into either one until I'm ready to make camp for the night. I am going to look into coming up with a similar setup as the Triumph, though. That looks sharp! Well done!