Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Border Line?

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    Shoe on the other foot. In 2008 we decided to vacation in Alaska. We got passports and dropped a line to the Canadian Gov. After reviewing their list we took a ferry boat from Washington State to Anchorage and never set foot in Canada. Wife and I both "carry" concealed everywhere we go. Legally! I guess we'll not contribute to Canadian economy.
    Guess what is legal or acceptable in one country is not always legal in another. We do have strict handgun laws here compared to the states and am pretty sure England does also. Does that prevent you then from visiting any country that has laws you do not agree with? We do understand your constitution allows citizens the right to bear arms and I can respect that. We have different laws that seem to work for us altho there are various points of view on this subject. Not saying one system is better than the other either. I have had American travellers remark they feel safer up here with the laws we have. Have also had Americans say they do not feel safe without a gun. Perhaps like the pros and cons of seatbelts, helmet rules, depends on your experiences maybe? There are laws on both sides of the border that do not make sense to me. I guess just haven't found one yet that makes me think the states is not worth visiting. Gary.
    1983 R80RT
    2007 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by airoilheadbeemerguy View Post
    Guess what is legal or acceptable in one country is not always legal in another. We do have strict handgun laws here compared to the states and am pretty sure England does also. Does that prevent you then from visiting any country that has laws you do not agree with? We do understand your constitution allows citizens the right to bear arms and I can respect that. We have different laws that seem to work for us altho there are various points of view on this subject. Not saying one system is better than the other either. I have had American travellers remark they feel safer up here with the laws we have. Have also had Americans say they do not feel safe without a gun. Perhaps like the pros and cons of seatbelts, helmet rules, depends on your experiences maybe? There are laws on both sides of the border that do not make sense to me. I guess just haven't found one yet that makes me think the states is not worth visiting. Gary.
    Which why I posted what I did in part. My background may well prevent from ever going stateside
    ever again and heaven help me if a winged flying machine had to land in the US. Again,
    different strokes for different countries, some I can enter, many I maybe or can not. For me the
    continuing attraction of going to the USA somehow just isn't there, anymore. Still it would be
    good to have clearance for same, just in case. Still waiting for a reply from federal agencies.
    These things do take time, dealing with government always does.
    Experience is something you don't get,
    Until just after you need it.

Final comment

A registered postal letter arrived today.
    In short, don't even "think" about entering the United States in any way, shape or form.
    Both the department I was dealing with and my lawyers have decided it would best
    if I never enter the country. Seems my continuing negative political feelings towards the
    country simply means don't even try.Two different interviews with various
    officials with me and my lawyers in attendance
    present confirmed their feelings and my attitude.
    It's over, thanks for all the advice from various individuals
    Experience is something you don't get,
    Until just after you need it.