Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roadcrafter--Does the Neck Seal Tight Enough?

Quote Originally Posted by cscatola View Post
    Ok so here's a quick update after riding about 80 miles today for the first time in the Roadcrafter. First, the neck issue is not an issue since the Velcro strap allows for a generous amount of adjustment. I'm confident that it will be able to adequately keep out water. Also, like B1 pointed out, it is easy to leave the neck strap open and roll the collar over to allow for some air flow. I take back my request for a means of securing the collar open... it stayed rolled over and open the whole time without a problem.

Some other initial observations:
    -It was about 70-75 degrees here today. I was completely comfortable wearing jeans and a T-shirt under the suit. I left all the vents closed so I'm curious to see how it vents as the temps rise.

-Shoulder area is already loosening up a bit, but the knees are stiff. I noticed some discomfort behind my knees after about 20 miles. I think that it is from having to force the stiff knee pads into the bent shape my legs take on the bike. I also haven't ridden in 3 months because of the snow, more snow, ice and flooding that we've had here in the Northeast so it's also possible that some knee discomfort is just my "motorcycle muscles" getting use to riding again.

-It was pretty windy here today (25-30 mph gusts) and this thing is seriously windproof. No drafts anywhere except up the sleeves a little bit with my summer gloves on.

-I wasn't sure how I would like the 1-piece suit, but it is very easy to get on and off and certainly feels like it could take a serious beating. I also like that it forces me to wear protective pants instead of regular cotton jeans.

Overall I really think this is a great product and am quickly realizing why so many serious riders swear by Aerostich gear. Just my $.02
    I got in my second ride on my new one. Our temperatures were upper 70s touching 80 so I opened the arm and back vents. Perfectly comfortable.

The stiffness hasn't bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    The stiffness hasn't bothered me.
    It gets better and better.

Just hope you are not asked to get something off the upper shelf in the kitchen after you are all suited up

Craig,

One question. You said that it forces you to wear protective pants instead of cotton jeans. Do you mean under the suit? Or, meaning that you put the whole thing on instead of grabbing a jacket with your jeans? I'm slow this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    Craig,

One question. You said that it forces you to wear protective pants instead of cotton jeans. Do you mean under the suit? Or, meaning that you put the whole thing on instead of grabbing a jacket with your jeans? I'm slow this morning...
    That's ok, I meant full ATGATT instead of MOTGATT (Most Of The Gear). I always wear a full face helmet, protective armored riding jacket, gloves and heavy boots, but wear jeans more than my riding pants. I certainly understand that nothing is ever 100% guaranteed to fully protect in the event of an accident, but why take the chance, right? Even in the event of a 0 mph tip over, having some extra protection from the weight of a 600+ pound bike and the heat of hot exhaust piping is worth it IMHO.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Yankee Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    Craig,

Yeah think he means with a one piece you are always wearing protective pants - one of my main reasons for getting the one piece too.

The roadcrafter takes a bit of time to break in... at least a few hundred miles or so. Depending on the temps, and what armor pads you have, they may be stiff. In the winter, I bring my suit inside instead of leaving it on the peg in my garage, because when the suit is very cold its hard to put on (and I have worn mine for about 15000 miles now). I ride in mine and find it more comfortable that other options in temps all the way up to about 90 degrees worn over clothes. Fully vented and with the front zipper open a bit it stays quite nice (and mines a black one). Above 90 its a judgment call, i think that wearing it with a t-shirt and boxers is more comfortable than wearing just jeans, and I think that you actually dehydrate less in the roadcrafter than wearing a mesh jacket. I will ride with it this way and bring clothes in my pannier. I only wear my mesh jacket and jeans when I have a very short ride, and its very hot out... otherwise I am near year-round with my roadcrafter.

Greetings
    The neck on mine always stays nice and snug until I turn my head then the velcro comes loose. I can never get the velcro to stick again while moving.
    Tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Toadmanor
    I want one but can not seem to part with the money in case I am not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadmanor View Post
    I want one but can not seem to part with the money in case I am not happy.

You can buy used. The Roadcrafter is great, but not for everone. I know folks who have picked up suits in excellent condition for 1/2 the price of new.

I like mine plenty -- for running errands and commute like travel. If I know I'm going to be on the bike all day I prefer separate pants and jacket. So in addition to my one-piece I have a two piece bottom that I wear with a BMW Rally 2 Pro jacket.

My one piece is currently back at Aerostich. After 8 years it's time to refresh the velcro, patch a tear in the lining, and replace the back reflective panel that was torn in a low slide 4 or 5 years ago. I figure it will be good for another 8 years of the kind of (ab)use I give it once I get it back.

Toadmanor
    Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    You can buy used. The Roadcrafter is great, but not for everone. I know folks who have picked up suits in excellent condition for 1/2 the price of new.

I like mine plenty -- for running errands and commute like travel. If I know I'm going to be on the bike all day I prefer separate pants and jacket. So in addition to my one-piece I have a two piece bottom that I wear with a BMW Rally 2 Pro jacket.

My one piece is currently back at Aerostich. After 8 years it's time to refresh the velcro, patch a tear in the lining, and replace the back reflective panel that was torn in a low slide 4 or 5 years ago. I figure it will be good for another 8 years of the kind of (ab)use I give it once I get it back.

Where would one find a used one that can be purchased in the correct size?

Ebay; Craigslist

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    I like mine plenty -- for running errands and commute like travel. If I know I'm going to be on the bike all day I prefer separate pants and jacket.
    Why is that?

GREGFUESS
    I wear my Roadcrafter zipped together for most rides. I have rarely unzipped them, though do for putting them in the washing machine. Very comfortable in my experience.

If the weather is hot, I wear Heine Gericke V-Pilot, zipped to the pants. All those zippered vents make it more comfortable than the Roadcrafter, despite that it is leather.

I wear one of the Aerostich wind triangles ( I have both)in cold weather .I have been in bad weather on the RS and the GS with my Roadcrafter two piece ,I have never had any issues that I would consider worth complaining about .
    R1150 GS R100 RS XT 500 CL-72

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Why is that?
    Because when I stop, especially in restaurants, I want to remove my jacket. Don't care much about removing the pants. A jacket will fit on the back of a chair. The roadcrafter one piece doesn't. At least it doesn't comfortably. Either you wind up sitting on the armor or people trip over (or step on) dangling arms and legs.

I could leave it on the bike, but when traveling storage space is full so I'd have to lock it down with a cable lock. I have such a lock for just that purpose, but then I have to unload the pockets. It's pointless to lock your suit to the bike if the keys and your wallet are in the suit.

For those, and other reasons, I find it more comfortable to wear a separate jacket and pants when on an all day or multi day ride. Jackets that I like include my current R2P and the Darien that I once had. I may go back to the Darien when my R2P wears out. I tried a Rev'It jacket for a short while but it was shorter than I like.

Makes sense. Yesterday was the first longer ride I've taken in my new one. When I stopped for lunch, I just used the cable lock that I was going to use for my helmet anyway, so it wasn't that big of a deal. I did have to put my phone, wallet, and keys in the fleece jacket I was wearing.