Thread: Kickstand blues /5 or /6 LWB

Kickstand blues /5 or /6 LWB

Does anyone have a really good diagram of how the kickstand connects to the frame on a 74 /5 or /6. I had a home-made turkey weld thing to the foot peg when I purchased the bike a few years ago. I have since replaced the footpeg with the orginal parts and have aquired an orginal kickstand with spring.
    I purchased the clevis pin as it is missing from my bikes frame.
    How does the pin conncet to the frame? and how does the kickstand attach to the clevis pin?
    Clymers does not have a very good picture and I cannot tell how it all works due to the front engine mount bolt being in the way.

Thanks

Gmac

My 71 /5 used the engine mount bolt,IIRC.I replaced it with a modified Brown stand which also used the motor mount bolt.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

James.A

Kickstand info#1

From parts manual. #4 would be the front motor bolt. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cal

SideStand

Change to a Brown's side stand best thing you could ever do. No more self retracting sidestand.

Cal Garcia
    Sarasota, FL
    1974 R90/6

James.A

Follow up

There is a boss on the frame facing the road under the bike that the side stand hinges on. The pin holds the stand in place. #3 and #6 in the illustration are the attachment points for the center stand springs. The angled tang on the bottom of #6 meets the end of the side stand boss when installed correctly. The side stand spring attaches lower than the center stand spring on the left side, maybe #17 on the illustration. This is essential to keep springs from interfering with each other. I put springs on a friends bike last weekend and got a good look at the nomenclature. It's all tucked away in a potentially filthy crevice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Change to a Brown's side stand best thing you could ever do. No more self retracting sidestand.
    Self-destructing, you mean...
    Scott Yeager

Quote Originally Posted by Cal

Cal Garcia
    Sarasota, FL
    1974 R90/6
    If you rotate the spring attachment at the frame end you can defeat that self-retracting/destructing featue.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS