Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Anonymous Book?

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Of course it is in a computer. For sure in the electronic format used at the printer. How it gets in that specific format I'm not sure.

And whether that format used for the electronic printing press is readily convertible into something a smart phone can use is an open question.

Any professional printers around who can answer that question?
    At the office it will just be a Word file or some other word processor. It can be a program that selects the members from the member database and makes some sort of file for the printer, but that's all the same. In the end, it sits somewhere on a PC and it's fairly easy to make a PDF out of it. If that would involve any complicated programming, I'd be surprised. And I don't say that as a layman. I'm in the database business for the past 25 years and this shouldn't be any problem. In the end it depends on how they organized everything but if you can make something the printer can print, you can make a PDF from it.

Obviously, something that you can search through on your PC of PDA is nice, but that would involve making a special file and/or an app for specific devices. A PDF is universal and can be read on 99% of smart devices with free programs.
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Received mine today.
    Live Well, Do Good Work, Ride Safe.

1978 R100S MOA #104733 ABC #7413
    1993 K1100LT KOG #997 CRBMWOA

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    I'm in Europe, and I'd be content with the magazine in PDF format. Sending it to me is extra expensive and takes longer. And it's a lot cheaper than printing it and sending it by mail. I know there are still a lot of people who want paper in their hands, but there should be an option to not receive any paper publications.
    ON is available on this site in .PDF all the way back to Nov-2009.
    I used it today.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    I used it today.
    Oh, that's great. I must admit I hadn't looked for it before, and when the question was asked, I assumed it wasn't available electronically.
    Always nice to have handy on my mobile (I need something to fill up the 8Gb )

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    I pay for and order a second one. Each bike never leaves the garage without a current copy. Never had to use it yet, but I'd hate to need it and have sitting at home in the other bike.
    My newest bike gets the new one and my older bike gets the hand me down (probably should be the other way around).
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Hooligan
    I would like an electronic version. That way its always with me.

PDF sounds great but I would suggest going even one step further:
    Access a link on the MOA website with your Iphone, Blackberry or other high-tech phone.
    Enter the zip code, address or coordinate where you are stranded.
    Server should spit out the phone numbers of nearby MOA helpers.
    Now, that would be great technology and save lots of printing cost and trees....
    Or, even better: Turn it into a Garmin app to be uploaded in your GPS, similar to the list of BMW dealerships or the database of known speed traps. Should not be difficult either. Works with other GPS brands too, of course.
    J?rgen
    Red Rocks
    04 R1150GS adv
    04 K1200RS last of the great bricks

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen View Post
    Or, even better: Turn it into a Garmin app to be uploaded in your GPS, similar to the list of BMW dealerships or the database of known speed traps. Should not be difficult either. Works with other GPS brands too, of course.
    Now this would be useful you could just click on nearest and get the closest help.
    Edd

2007 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by jurgen View Post
    PDF sounds great but I would suggest going even one step further
    A PDF is a good start and fairly painless to produce. The other stuff involves some work, which is fine if you're at home making it yourself or with some other people in your spare time. But an organisation like MOA would have to hire someone to do it, and that'll cost some money.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
    I used it today.
    This is a major step forward but not a .pdf they are online versions of the magazine. I wish they were in fact pdf vrsions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    A PDF is a good start and fairly painless to produce. The other stuff involves some work, which is fine if you're at home making it yourself or with some other people in your spare time. But an organisation like MOA[SHOULD] would have to hire someone to do it, and that'll cost some money.
    You have hit a core problem for the association. Until we are willing to find a group of volunteers to specify what needs to be done on projects like this and then contract the production work to be done things like this will not see the light of day (or a back light of a back lit screen) for years.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort
    That was quick. I got my 2011 Anonymous Book yesterday.
    John M. Flora
    '03 K1200GT, '94 K75S
    MOA # 23538, RA # 16295, AMA Life Member
    Secret Squadron # SQ24418

warredon
    I received mine yesterday also, though a bit tattered from it's journey.

3 Red Bricks
    Got mine an hour ago, all the way to the left coast!!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
    You have hit a core problem for the association. Until we are willing to find a group of volunteers to specify what needs to be done on projects like this and then contract the production work to be done things like this will not see the light of day (or a back light of a back lit screen) for years.
    This is the problem with many if not all volunteer organizations. However, if MOA is going to want to attract younger folks, more of the benefits will have to be in electronic form. While many of us-who are no longer "younger folk" might be just as happy with a hard copy as with an electronic copy, I think most of the younger generation is geared up for things being in electronic form.

On a side note probably better geared for a separate thread, I'm curious what the board's plans are regarding this.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwJeff View Post
    This is the problem with many if not all volunteer organizations. However, if MOA is going to want to attract younger folks, more of the benefits will have to be in electronic form. While many of us-who are no longer "younger folk" might be just as happy with a hard copy as with an electronic copy, I think most of the younger generation is geared up for things being in electronic form.

On a side note probably better geared for a separate thread, I'm curious what the board's plans are regarding this.
    Maybe it's not that hard to do it. In the end, the content of the book comes from a certain source. My best guess is that it's in a database of sorts, because I don't expect someone to type it in every year...
    So there's step 1. Next step might be an Open Source project for the publication of this kind of data on mobile devices. I didn't look for something like that, but there may be a solution readily available that is suitable for this goal and is portable across multiple devices. This may also be a nice project for students. If it's just a program to look up people (a glorified Yellow Pages app) it's quite trivial to write. I programmed applications like that for 15 years (Oracle database) but I don't do anything like that anymore. But it's not that hard.

Problem may be that MOA doesn't want to loose control over the data, and/or the members don't want their personal data to be scattered over the web. Something that is inevetable when you distribute electronic data. All it takes is one person who thinks it's nice to 'share' this with someone else. Obviously, a book can be copies or scanned (ocr) too, but takes takes more effort.