Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zumo 660 at Costco

leesrt
    Im not sure what spurred the harsh response but having a gps that combines several features is a huge benefit when touring. I have a tom tom now that's equal to the 200 series garmin, just no BT. Being able to create custom routes is important because otherwise the gps will look for the shortest route. You can play with it to make it reroute to avoid interstates but you waste a lot of time doing it that way. If you have a bt headset in your helmet having a gps with multiple features allows the different inputs to have priorities so the gps alerts override music, and a phone call to override gps. Since the gps is mounted where you can see and touch it makes it easier to change music and see your caller id so you can see if its an important call.

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Well gee we must have been using our GPS to make up routes all wrong then since it supposedly can't do that. But hey if you say it can't then by gosh we'll stop doing that.

Sorry to have brought up a less cost option to the thread.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Steve
    Hey--this is a BMW board! "Less costly" is heretical. It's bad enough that people save several hundred dollars by buying the one that doesn't have the BMW logo on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
    Well gee we must have been using our GPS to make up routes all wrong then since it supposedly can't do that. But hey if you say it can't then by gosh we'll stop doing that.

Sorry to have brought up a less cost option to the thread.
    Motor31.. Nuvi 200 specs(from Garmin website): (BTW, I have the Nuvi 205W model in my car- NO custom routes, so I am very familiar with the unit you have...) The spec of interest in the last one: ROUTES. That is the one regarding whether you can upload custom routes. GPS's that allow custom routes will have a number there, that is the number of custom routes that they can hold at one time. i.e. a Zumo 550 will have 50 in that field, it can hold 50 routes. If you can run CUSTOM ROUTES, you will also find a button for "Custom Routes" on the "Where to" option in your GPS.

Nuvi 200 specs (from Garmin website)
    Basemap: yes
    Preloaded street maps: yes (regional)
    Includes lifetime map updates: no
    Ability to add maps: yes
    Built-in memory: internal solid state
    Accepts data cards: SDÔäó card (not included)
    Waypoints/favorites/locations: 500
    Routes: 0

I understand your wanting to bring up a low cost solution (and I've offered that with the Nuvi 5XX series...) but I just wanted to point out (what MANY don't understand ) is that there is a real difference in a low cost GPS that doesn't allow custom routing and what your getting in a unit that allows custom routing. Putting in waypoints along the way.. isn't custom routing.

But really, I'm not trying to hassle you, just explain that there is a difference.. "Anyway.. "Whatever floats your boat" is the moto I live by... I was just trying to give you an idea about what you "could " do...
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,

Rally Rat
    For me not having custom map routing is a deal breaker. I have been able to route along the Blue Ridge Pky when the auto map sticks to I40 or I81 for example. Custom routs are the reason I bit the bullet and sprung for the Zumo 550. For me, after custom routing every other feature higher end units have like XM, MP3, water proofing, etc are nice, but I can do without. Also being to route on my desk top with the map detail it provides is a winner compared to routing on the fly which is almost painful.

Gps

Wow, what a spirited debate. So, here are my two pennies worth. I have the Nuvi 765T. Bluetooth so I don't need wires to the J&M in my helmet. MP3 player - I like my music on SD card. I do sometimes bluetooth my iPod touch to J&M so have two sources if I want. No XM, don't care. Have lots of custom routes that I build using RoadTrip on my MAC and transfer over. Can put lots in the My Files section and can load up to 10. 1000 waypoints but by transferring the routes, I only use the starting and ending points. FM traffic stuff. Wide screen. Battery life sucks at only 3 hours on a really good day but get power from bikes so not an issue. Screen not designed for open air use but since it talks to me, don't care. Not waterproof but can stick it inside my jacket, don't care. Can't Bluetooth to my phone, don't care since I can BT phone to my J&M (in parallel), great for emergencies. Price, just over $200 at Best Buy several years ago, $500 delta, I care. All in all, very happy.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

getting back to the original post on the Zumo 660, this does not seem to be offered at Costco in the US. Is there a difference depending on whether it's purchased in Canada or US? If not, I'll hae someone pick one up for me.

Steve
    My understanding is that the special offer on the 660 is for a limited time and only online at the the Canadian site.

Yes, it was. My plan was to have a Canadian friend hook me up. But I've since found it online in the US for $569.05 with free shipping. It should arrive by Tuesday.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I asked and Costco.ca will not ship to a US address.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

The Digital Oasis

For the US folks who may be interested.

Planning a route on the computer and then down loading it is something I want to do. My Nuvi 265 won't do it. Exploring back roads without my GPS telling me where to go would be fun. It would be nice to use it in my car as well as the motorcycle.

What Nuvi or Zumo do I need that will allow me to put in my own routes? Having one that works off the cigarette lighter outlet would be a plus for me so I can put it in my car as well.
    Nardowell
    Hoa Binh (Peace)
    Vietnam '69 and '70
    2012 R1200R classic

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by nardowell View Post
    Planning a route on the computer and then down loading it is something I want to do. My Nuvi 265 won't do it. Exploring back roads without my GPS telling me where to go would be fun. It would be nice to use it in my car as well as the motorcycle.

What Nuvi or Zumo do I need that will allow me to put in my own routes? Having one that works off the cigarette lighter outlet would be a plus for me so I can put it in my car as well.
    If you compare models on the Garmin site, any that has a number other than zero in the "routes" column allows you to design them using MapSource or other software and upload them. That includes all Zumos and I think all Nuvis except the 200 series. I think all of them will operate off of a cigarette plug.
    Last edited by rockbottom; 03-21-2011 at 11:56 AM.

I have the nuvi 550 and have been very happy with it. No bluetooth or audio jack, but I have not had a problem navigating by what I see on the screen.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

Quote Originally Posted by gblawler View Post
    I have the nuvi 550 and have been very happy with it. No bluetooth or audio jack, but I have not had a problem navigating by what I see on the screen.
    +1 NUVI 500/550 are a HELL of a deal, great GPS. I only upgraded to a Zumo 660 because of Bluetooth/MP3. And now having spent the bux and getting the 660 I REALLY appreciate how good a GPS the NUVI 5xx series is.

I still have mine and won't sell it, too good of a backup.
    Phil W2GE
    2010 R1200RT 2011 Husqvarna TE310 'Woods-Weapon'
    New Sweden BMW Riders
    iPhone5-> Zumo 660->SENA SMH10, Nuvi 500,